ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Gaming Laptop (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/650668-gaming-laptop.html)

fitzscoob 29 November 2007 11:47 AM

Gaming Laptop

Rock or Alienware or are there alternatives now?

I want a laptop that will run games, also do the odd bit of work on it and not cost me 3 years salary.

Are there any real good ones about for under £1500?

I dont think my future home will house a desktop :(

Thanks

GC8WRX 29 November 2007 11:49 AM

Go alienware, their laptops are ace, but need a power socket, as the battery will last about two hours if on line gaming!!!!!!

Iain Young 29 November 2007 12:20 PM

Avoid Alienware like the plague. Had two machines from them (a laptop and a desktop) and both were overpriced and poorly made. Their customer service was a joke as well. I wouldn't touch them again with a very long barge pole.

BlkKnight 29 November 2007 12:46 PM

Dell XPS series or Rock

GC8WRX 29 November 2007 12:54 PM

Iain young, sorry to hear that mate!

My mate has an alienware to play 2142 when he is away for work, and its nearly as good as his home system, and has never missed a beat!! A bit pricey i admit, but that was before alienware were bought out!
Quality is second to none he says!!!(its had beer spilt on it an all sorts).

Now they have been bought out, word is quality is dropping and prices going up!!

Iain Young 29 November 2007 01:01 PM

Yep, the laptop was unreliable, got very hot all the time, and eventually gave up completely (after just over a year).

The desktop was similar. I ended up replacing the motherboard and rewiring it myself (it worked much better after that). The alienware wiring was so bad there were even broken connectors being used inside the machine that were held together with electrical tape !!!!

For desktops, I build my own now. For laptops, I'd go with Rock or Dell...

New_scooby_04 29 November 2007 01:54 PM

Got a Dell XPS 1710. Great laptop made by people who know how t build em well. Purchased off a reputable re-seller on Ebay for £1200

2 Gig Ram
512Mb Nvida graphics card
Core 2 duo processor

Jucy enough for most current games easily.

Really though, it's not worth buying a laptop for gaming as it's much harder to upgrade em to keep up with the ever advancing specs. I'd go with a desktop, or,even, better a console!

burns 03 December 2007 06:02 PM

Just gone for the Dell XPS M1730 it arrives tommorrow,I looked at the Alienware area m51,but after checking out the various forums it seems they are unreliable and service is crap,so went with Dell.

T4molie 04 December 2007 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by burns (Post 7457011)
Just gone for the Dell XPS M1730 it arrives tommorrow,I looked at the Alienware area m51,but after checking out the various forums it seems they are unreliable and service is crap,so went with Dell.

I had my XPS M1730 delivered last Friday :) Haven't had much chance to use it properly yet but initial impressions are :thumb: :cool: