ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   News & Announcements (https://www.scoobynet.com/news-and-announcements-408/)
-   -   ScoobyNet Acquisition Announcement (https://www.scoobynet.com/news-and-announcements-408/650118-scoobynet-acquisition-announcement.html)

The Chief 26 November 2007 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by new2scoobs (Post 7440108)
What? Turning a forum/community based on ownership of a japanese sports saloon into a personal cash cow while charging the people that make it and then selling it to some faceless brand company?

I agree. How about a vote from the 'community' first eh?

Like most websites its a business, fairplay to him i say.

The Chief 26 November 2007 08:30 PM

Whoever zapped him - nice one:thumb:

renny 26 November 2007 08:31 PM

Nice one Simon - all the best with your new life in a tax haven somewhere :D

I'm a relative newbie to the site but have learnt loads off fellow SN's and wouldn't be without it now.

All the best :thumb:

DCI Gene Hunt 26 November 2007 08:36 PM

Well done Simon.... :thumb:

Allan 26 November 2007 08:41 PM

Good luck to you Simon, I've always had the greatest respect for the way you have handled some of the past issues.

Scoobynet is a fantastic community, I just hope that the new owners can keep the community spirit alive. Fingers crossed that commercial issues don't ruin our home.

All the best for the future.
Allan

Markus 26 November 2007 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by new2scoobs (Post 7440069)
Now Internet brands have taken over you are going to find that I will be making sure they keep a very tight rein on racist and politically incorrect behaviour.
I hail this as a new dawn for scoobynet.

Congratulations to Simon for making a packet out of the users here.

*sigh* Typical NACRO posting from another alias account. One hopes if Ryan makes any changes it'll be to simply remove this annoying troll forever, alas for various reasons it's can't be done as he'll keep coming back to troll, quite why I don't think we'll ever know, and the forum is poorer for having to put up with this type of fool. Who knows, maybe Ryan has something "special" lined up for NACRO and the other annoying trolls :D

Anyway. Simon, congratulations on finding someone you feel happy with and that you believe will keep SN going in the right direction. I know it won't have been an easy decision. It shall be interesting to see where things go from here.

gazza-uk 26 November 2007 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Chief (Post 7440133)
Whoever zapped him - nice one:thumb:

Suresh 26 November 2007 08:47 PM

I see INET managed to raise $48Mio with their IPO recently. Hopefully you walked away with a big chunk of this - good work Simon!! :thumb:

Jerome 26 November 2007 08:55 PM

Blimey. Didn't know this was even on the cards. Not that I would, being a mere plebian.

Can't say I'm surprised though. It was probably just a matter of time.

SN's come a long way since I joined. :D

Here's to her future!

mickywrx 26 November 2007 08:56 PM

All the best Simon/Shaun :thumb:

So, how much is my +membership going up by next year:wonder: ;) :nono:

ScoobyDoo555 26 November 2007 09:18 PM

Many congrats :)

Hope all goes well in the future for you :)

Dan

alistair 26 November 2007 09:28 PM

As one of the few who has been with Scoobynet from the start, I can only applaud your contribution and the effort put in by both you and Shaun.

Whatever you earned - good for you, without you it would have folded a long time ago and I would have got a lot more work done over the last 9 years ;)

MickWrx 26 November 2007 09:38 PM

Well done Simon

I know your not going anywhere just yet, but please remember my life time mebership before you go ;)

Thanks and a whole heap of respect to you for your time and help in the past

WRXshaneWRX 26 November 2007 09:38 PM

congrats to the admin, bet he is chuffed...i really like SN but im honestly concerned (please dont flame me, everyone has the right to an opinion) im just uneasy about "capitalist" moves.

anyway i will defo still be sticking around to see how it goes, wont be renewing my paid membership though...i always saw paying as a way to keep the community going, esp for new members, not lining the pockets of big corps....not to say im right just my view

again though, congrats admins!!! bet ur super chuffed, i would be lol

Tam the bam 26 November 2007 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by WRXshaneWRX (Post 7440430)
congrats to the admin, bet he is chuffed...i really like SN but im honestly concerned (please dont flame me, everyone has the right to an opinion) im just uneasy about "capitalist" moves.

anyway i will defo still be sticking around to see how it goes, wont be renewing my paid membership though...i always saw paying as a way to keep the community going, esp for new members, not lining the pockets of big corps....not to say im right just my view

again though, congrats admins!!! bet ur super chuffed, i would be lol

I must admit i agree with you :thumb: doubt I'll renew my + membership under some faceless corporation. I imagine it'll become an ad mad site now like Lycos, but with a car theme.

Good luck though Webby and co. you did give us one of the best messageboards on the net :thumb:

ex-webby 26 November 2007 09:55 PM

Hi All

Thanks once more for all the really kind comments :)

In terms of the last couple of comments, I urge you not to be on a downer. I spent some considerable time weeding out companies that would do exactly what you are worried about.

I think we're all in good hands, and I certainly would not have handed the keys over otherwise.

I honestly think you should at least give them a chance though :)

fwdnutz 26 November 2007 09:56 PM

i bow down in respect to you simon for if it was`nt for this site i wouldnt have learned as much as i have about how to modify scoobys without spending a fortune with the wrong peoples, and to learn from others posts is an invaluable asset! again hoping you all the best for the future and don`t just disappear into oblivion on us will you! three cheers for Simon and partner in crime Shaun :luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello:

Jamo 26 November 2007 10:01 PM

for those of us that have paid for subscriptions, will we still have the ability to not have to have these adverts forced upon us or will this be something we will have to put up with?

second part to that question would be, if we have to have them will there be an option for use to get a refund on any membership fees paid?

thirdly, I dont blame you (good luck), and I really hope scoobynet dosent turn into a advertising site.

cheers

James

WRXshaneWRX 26 November 2007 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 7440505)
Hi All

Thanks once more for all the really kind comments :)

In terms of the last couple of comments, I urge you not to be on a downer. I spent some considerable time weeding out companies that would do exactly what you are worried about.

I think we'll all in good hands, and I certainly would not have handed the keys over otherwise.

I honestly think you should at least give them a chance though :)

thats defo good to hear boss!!!

pslewis 26 November 2007 10:06 PM

Good luck ..... :D

finalzero 26 November 2007 10:13 PM

Hopefully a better future for Scoobynet, at the very least it would be nice to see the site as a whole become something larger and more productive like pistonheads.com.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Dedicated Articles section (linked to the wiki but seperate so it stands out, too many useful posts are missed in all the spam on the forum)

2. Regualar Blog Updates (this was a nice feature, would like to see this continue)

3. More features (including members scoobies, also tracks & track days, performance garages, scooby related services etc)

4. Dedicated trade page where you can list traders e.g. address for Powerstation, link(s) and contact details

5. Dedicated Classified Listing Page

6. Online Gallery (picture & video gallery to compliment the members gallery)

7. Weekly/Monthly product reviews (the low down on anything and everything scooby related from performance air filters to big turbo kits, which is best etc)

I think if the above got implemented over the coarse of the new year it would certainly take Scoobynet a stage further and make it more like a professional online Subaru related magazine.

Just my £1.50 worth

richiewong 26 November 2007 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 7440251)
All the best Simon/Shaun :thumb:

So, how much is my +membership going up by next year:wonder: ;) :nono:

And do we get triple + banners:D

All the best with the new venture Simon:thumb:

T5NYW 26 November 2007 10:46 PM

Well done to Simon and Shaun :D

All the Best

Tony

andythejock01wrx 26 November 2007 10:49 PM

Have been on Scoobynet for just under 18 months. Excellent site, many v helpful and knowledgeable members. Proved invaluable to the modding of my car without blowing the darn thing up (yet !).

Simon - job well done.

Orra best for the future pal.

Andy McNicoll

Greatnorth 26 November 2007 11:02 PM

A shrewed business move...before long you'll be biting at the heals of the owners of facebook and the like!

the very fact that scoobynet is in this position is a trophy of its success and I for one congratulate the webmaster and any other shareholders in the site on any financial rewards they reap from the sale.

rememeber all the time leading up to this when it was a labour of love and far from any cash incentive when the site was concieved!

It is a shallow person who thinks this sale was the sole aim for the site!

Keep up the good work and like others have said, though I'm sure it wont happen, please keep the site "down to earth" as it were and dont sink the site with targeted ads at every corner.

Gav

lordharding 26 November 2007 11:54 PM

Good luck for the future and i have really enjoyed scoobynet for the last 6-7 years now and without the sheer amount of traffic it generates we could never get the NBO concept of the ground and next year will see NBO6
and we will have raised over 20K for charitys

thanks again for being a big part of my life and for helping unite all scooby owners

Sonic' 27 November 2007 12:01 AM

Just on a quick break from the Labour Ward,

but well done Simon, and good luck for the future for both Scoobynet, hopefully you wont just disappear, and will stay around and perhaps bring back Hutchmaster too :D

Tam the bam 27 November 2007 12:04 AM

Sorry Webby I have just one kwestion, why didn't you give the SN users the chance to buy the place for themselves? I'm sure one of the mega rich users or a consortium of users could have bought it, :confused:

Not being funny or questioning why you sold it, just an honest question.

EvilBevel 27 November 2007 06:40 AM

Yeah, good question :p

You going back to a Lotus Esprit now ? :D

Beastie 27 November 2007 06:49 AM

Good Luck Simon :)