ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Insurances in iceland (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/649976-insurances-in-iceland.html)

Kjartan 26 November 2007 07:15 AM

Insurances in iceland

I wouldn't want to live in Britain because of all the insurance hassles..

here in Iceland I insure my car for about 620 pounds a year
it doesn't matter who drives my car.. it doesn't matter how I mod it don't have to declare anything

I'm 24 years old and I've had 2 accidents one of them had the car totaled and bought by the insurance company , paid about 500quid and my insurance didnt get any higher

It wouldnt matter if I were 17 years old and driving an STI I'd pay roughly the same amount maybe few pounds more , it basicly has to do with how much the car's worth not the engine size

gpssti4 26 November 2007 08:03 AM

:Suspiciou ........ but there's nothing to hit is there? :D

[Davey] 26 November 2007 08:50 AM

I'm guessing "personal injury claims" are not as high as they are here if all the insurance company has got to worry about is the cost of the car ;)

Over here they are paying £3000 a time for emotional whiplash! lol..

GazTheHat 26 November 2007 11:52 AM

Same in Finland, you insure the car for anyone to drive really.

Insurance may be cheap & easy, but i'd hate to pay the taxes on the cars out there though. :eek:

andythejock01wrx 26 November 2007 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kjartan (Post 7438490)

it doesn't matter who drives my car.. it doesn't matter how I mod it don't have to declare anything

I'm 24 years old and I've had 2 accidents one of them had the car totaled and bought by the insurance company , paid about 500quid and my insurance didnt get any higher

It wouldnt matter if I were 17 years old and driving an STI I'd pay roughly the same amount maybe few pounds more , it basicly has to do with how much the car's worth not the engine size

Does it cover you if you get pissed and drive off your wee island into the sea ? :lol1: ;)

chocolate_o_brian 26 November 2007 02:30 PM

can polar bears and penguins "claim" for whiplash?

i thought iceland was one big 4wd snow drift:lol1:

andythejock01wrx 26 November 2007 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 7439164)
can polar bears and penguins "claim" for whiplash?

i thought iceland was one big 4wd snow drift:lol1:

:lol1:

Paul3446 26 November 2007 05:49 PM

I did a fly drive in Iceland a few years ago and highly recommend it as a destination, as you say, nothing to hit rerally, some awesome mountain roads though! Took a drive one evening through a snowy mountain pass and came to down to a picture perfect village at the sea shore, the pass was the only way in and out.

Unfortunately my hire car was a Renault Spacker or something!

Kjartan 26 November 2007 06:34 PM

nothing to hit? haha there's alot of traffic here now.. LOT of accidents each day
and I'd say higher risk of accidents due to snow and incompetent drivers in snow
and polar bears and penguins haha, there are no such things here in Iceland

personal injury claims are high here too

what would scooby do 26 November 2007 06:37 PM

They can't prove who was driving in iceland anyway - you have all got the same DNA :lol1:

Kjartan 26 November 2007 10:45 PM

hah, saturday morning we even had an accident at my work, I work as a bus driver and we're driving people to work in a factory they're building here, one of the buses unloaded all of the guys 67people total, then head on back, when a 40feet container got swept by the wind and hit the side of the bus , very lucky no one except the driver was on the bus when it happened, thats going to be a big bill for the insurance company :P

andythejock01wrx 26 November 2007 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 7439680)
They can't prove who was driving in iceland anyway - you have all got the same DNA :lol1:

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

andythejock01wrx 26 November 2007 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kjartan (Post 7440704)
hah, saturday morning we even had an accident at my work, I work as a bus driver and we're driving people to work in a factory they're building here, one of the buses unloaded all of the guys 67people total, then head on back, when a 40feet container got swept by the wind and hit the side of the bus , very lucky no one except the driver was on the bus when it happened, thats going to be a big bill for the insurance company :P

Do your girls look more like Norwegian or Danish lasses ? Might be over their for the football. ;)

GROWLER_GRRRR 26 November 2007 10:59 PM

bttt

Originally Posted by Kjartan (Post 7438490)

are you living in dream land or do you just take tea with alice in wonderland
lol hoo hooo ho :thumb:

Northern Nick 26 November 2007 11:04 PM

Hello Kjartan,

I love your country, came over last year in May and it was fantastic. Saw to Subaru's while over there in Reykjavik where we stayed.

We did drive to Joekulsarlon from where we stayed at 90-100mph all the way where we could in a rented Toyota Corolla and past maybe 6 cars, thats cars coming towards us as well as cars we over took (Thats about a 4 hour drive, well with the stops we made).

Lovely roads, smooth and twisty with the odd 10 mile straight :lol1:

I'd move over to Iceland tomorrow given a job and a house to live in, love it :thumb:

This not so smooth but a great rally road :norty:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...elandroads.jpg

This was one of the 10mile straights

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...raightRoad.jpg

Daily Drive

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...eSizedJeep.jpg

As Arny said, I'll be back ;)

Kjartan 26 November 2007 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 7440729)
Do your girls look more like Norwegian or Danish lasses ? Might be over their for the football. ;)

well our girls are fine :) but you just come on over and check them out yourself :)

Northern Nick 26 November 2007 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kjartan (Post 7440763)
well our girls are fine :) but you just come on over and check them out yourself :)

Ah-ha,

Agree'd :norty:

Northern Nick 26 November 2007 11:08 PM

To many Americans in my opinion,

Only bad thing about Iceland :(

andythejock01wrx 26 November 2007 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kjartan (Post 7440763)

Had a "dansk" girlfriend. She was certainly cute ! ;) I'm sure a few Scotsmen in kilts will be visiting your fine land for the football World Cup Qualifiers. Hopefully the girls are friendly and the beer not too exepnsive ! :)

Kjartan 26 November 2007 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Nick (Post 7440760)
Hello Kjartan,

I love your country, came over last year in May and it was fantastic. Saw to Subaru's while over there in Reykjavik where we stayed.

We did drive to Joekulsarlon from where we stayed at 90-100mph all the way where we could in a rented Toyota Corolla and past maybe 6 cars, thats cars coming towards us as well as cars we over took (Thats about a 4 hour drive, well with the stops we made).

Lovely roads, smooth and twisty with the odd 10 mile straight :lol1:

I'd move over to Iceland tomorrow given a job and a house to live in, love it :thumb:

This not so smooth but a great rally road :norty:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...elandroads.jpg

This was one of the 10mile straights

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...raightRoad.jpg

Daily Drive

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...eSizedJeep.jpg

As Arny said, I'll be back ;)

yeah, Im kinda familiar with those 10mile straights, I live on the east side of the country and to get to Reykjavík I have to drive those roads alot, you can imagine driving those roads at night and you
dont see any cars for like 100miles

and yeah, haha some people use cars like that for daily driving.. mad people :P

and you should of seen lots more of subaru's they're everywhere in Reykjavík quite a few projects there that I know off :)

Kjartan 26 November 2007 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 7440771)
Had a "dansk" girlfriend. She was certainly cute ! ;) I'm sure a few Scotsmen in kilts will be visiting your fine land for the football World Cup Qualifiers. Hopefully the girls are friendly and the beer not too exepnsive ! :)

have to disappoint you , beer is expensive here in iceland and all alcohol for that matter

andythejock01wrx 26 November 2007 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kjartan (Post 7440781)
have to disappoint you , beer is expensive here in iceland and all alcohol for that matter

...and the girls ? :(

Kjartan 26 November 2007 11:29 PM

most of the girls are friendly yes :)

andythejock01wrx 26 November 2007 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kjartan (Post 7440807)
most of the girls are friendly yes :)

:norty: ;)

night night. :sleep:

gpssti4 27 November 2007 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 7440790)
...and the girls ? :(

Yes, they're expensive too! ;)

It's a really nice place to visit, most of the people are really friendly. Just be aware that beer is over £5 a pint - don't get into buying large rounds!

I've been about 4 or 5 times now and would love to go back again.

Some of the 4 x 4's are mad, you even see them driving around Reykjavík in them. If I do go back I'd like to go off road on the glaciers and to the Blue Lagoon thermal spa.

Henrik 27 November 2007 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by gpssti4 (Post 7441192)
If I do go back I'd like to go off road on the glaciers and to the Blue Lagoon thermal spa.

The Blue Lagoon is a must!

With regards to the girls, I was only about 20 when I went, but it felt like I had ended up in a happy alternative universe where every girl was a photo model when I went :D

Apparently (I'm not sure if this is true), there's more girls than boys, so they're all desperate as well :D

andythejock01wrx 27 November 2007 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 7441208)
The Blue Lagoon is a must!

With regards to the girls, I was only about 20 when I went, but it felt like I had ended up in a happy alternative universe where every girl was a photo model when I went :D

Apparently (I'm not sure if this is true), there's more girls than boys, so they're all desperate as well :D

:lol1: ;) Now to check if Easyjet fly there....................:lol1:

Barmyclown 27 November 2007 07:53 PM

No they don`t. I went there last Jan for my honeymoon. And what can I say. Awesome, the blue lagoon is definetly worth a visit. But you need a second mortgage to eat and drink out. The only thing we missed was the northern lights, we visited the week they had loads of horrible weather.

Jase

dpb 27 November 2007 11:26 PM

youd imagine gas isnt cheap either :wonder:

Northern Nick 28 November 2007 07:11 AM

Petrol is a similar price to here. A little bit cheaper if I remember.