ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Two Hard Drives failed on me in one day :( (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/649735-two-hard-drives-failed-on-me-in-one-day.html)

Echo 24 November 2007 11:22 PM

Two Hard Drives failed on me in one day :(

My Firewire box with 4 drives has had one 3 month old 400gig drive suddenly show as unformatted (ie, loss of all data) and another has reported that it's running on its last legs and needs backing up immediately! :(

Running Mac Leopard here. Any ideas if there is a one box multiple drive RAID that I can use for the most important data that plugs in via Firewire 800 or USB2? I'm not a tech so need something that covers a drive going down.

Any ideas very welcome!

Mike

Luminous 24 November 2007 11:58 PM

Not sure about Firewire or USB2, but there are NAS drives that do as you wish. They will just hook into your network, gigabit would be recommended.

Luminous 25 November 2007 12:00 AM

Had a quick look, is this the sort of thing you are wanting?

Maxtor OneTouch III Turbo Edition 1TB External Firewire 400/800/USB 2.0 16MB Cache Hard Drive - Retail (STM310004OTDB06-RK)

Echo 25 November 2007 12:16 AM

That's the sort of thing! Thanks! Still in shock at so many drives going in one day.

Markus 25 November 2007 03:09 AM

Do you have another enclosure, perhaps even just a single drive one? If so, pop the failed drives in it and check they are actually failing. I say this because I have a Macally enclosure for IDE drives, which used to contain my 320GB backup drive, however a few weeks ago the drive failed to mount. I tried the enclosure on another machine to make sure it wasn't something with the firewire ports on the iMac. Nope, still failed on another machine.

I decided to swap it into one of my other enclosures and the drive mounted without issue. I tried another drive in the Macally enclosure and it failed to mount that drive, so I'm fairly sure it's some issue with the enclosure, hence why I mention trying the drives in another enclosure as it might be the device rather than the drive.

Luminous 25 November 2007 09:18 AM

Good point from Markus. It can happen that a few drives go down at the same time. Have a think about where the enclosure is, has it overheated for example?

Most hard drives don't like going over 40C for it to last a long life.

stevebt 25 November 2007 10:34 AM

I stopped buying maxtor drive's when I lost 4 in a couple of months :(

stevem2k 25 November 2007 11:10 AM

i posted this previously, looks :cool:

Data Robotics, Inc. | Drobo in Action

Echo 25 November 2007 11:44 AM

Steve, thanks for that link - that looks just like what I want. Now to find one, today!

Echo 25 November 2007 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 7436024)
Do you have another enclosure, perhaps even just a single drive one? If so, pop the failed drives in it and check they are actually failing. I say this because I have a Macally enclosure for IDE drives, which used to contain my 320GB backup drive, however a few weeks ago the drive failed to mount. I tried the enclosure on another machine to make sure it wasn't something with the firewire ports on the iMac. Nope, still failed on another machine.

I decided to swap it into one of my other enclosures and the drive mounted without issue. I tried another drive in the Macally enclosure and it failed to mount that drive, so I'm fairly sure it's some issue with the enclosure, hence why I mention trying the drives in another enclosure as it might be the device rather than the drive.

Interesting point as I shuffled the drives around to check there wasn't an issue and it may be the enclosure. It's a double fan cooled enclosure but after seeing the Drobo info I think I know what I am going to do now.

Echo 25 November 2007 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by stevem2k (Post 7436289)

Ordered one :) Hmm, my old stylee drives may not be compatible with a SATA enclosure? Oh well...

Granby 25 November 2007 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by stevem2k (Post 7436289)

Looks interesting :thumb:

ebay

Echo 25 November 2007 12:31 PM

Drobo Data Storage Robot - GlowGadgets.com

Granby 25 November 2007 01:33 PM

Quite a good review HERE a few pros & cons

Luminous 25 November 2007 10:52 PM

That Drobo does look good. Going to have to read the reviews to see the point to it. I just don't need that much external storage.

Echo 25 November 2007 11:00 PM

Hopefully mine will be on Tuesday as will 4 x 500 Gb drives. I'll post a report.

BTW, I was going to get a few 1 Tb drives but thought it may be more flexible to have the 500's for the moment.

Luminous 25 November 2007 11:15 PM

Wow, you have serious USB storage needs :eek:

I'd want a way to transfer my data faster than that. I currently have a 300Gb USB2 enclosure, and that is slow enough. My Gigabit NAS drive is a step better, but its still not really up to the job. For some reason it never uses more than 15% of my gigabit connection :(

Echo 25 November 2007 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 7438100)
Wow, you have serious USB storage needs :eek:

I'd want a way to transfer my data faster than that. I currently have a 300Gb USB2 enclosure, and that is slow enough. My Gigabit NAS drive is a step better, but its still not really up to the job. For some reason it never uses more than 15% of my gigabit connection :(

It's all the video that I do and the amount of pics I take :freak3:

RichB 26 November 2007 09:56 AM

I'm running leopard here (unfortunatley :( ) and I've got two Lacie USB drives. One 500GB used for Time Machine and another 320GB for 'stuff'
I now can't use the 320 as with it plugged in, it regularly disappears from the Desktop, causes the machine to grind to a halt. If I unmount the 320 the machine fires back into life again.
Don't necessarily dismiss the drives as faulty just yet... :(

Echo 26 November 2007 10:22 PM

I downloaded the free trial of Data Rescue and it showed all the content. After a good look I was sure that all of those files were backed up so didn't need to pay the $99 for the full software to actually copy off the data!

I know what you mean about Leopard, I'm not convinced upgrading from Tiger was worth it.