ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Buying car without V5? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/649401-buying-car-without-v5.html)

isubaru 23 November 2007 12:24 PM

Buying car without V5?

After a bit of advice please.

I've found a car i'm looking at buying as a cheap run around (under £1k).
only thing is the current owner has lost the V5, now i know this is not ideal but if i dont buy it i'm sure someone else will, and waiting for the V5 to come through could take weeks.

I'm sure someone else has been in a similar situation, so what to do?
Its not like he's selling from a lay-by or the car is worth thousands?

exvaux 23 November 2007 04:44 PM

technically it is illegal now to sell a car without a V5 but doesnt stop folk especially if its cheap

motoxxxr 23 November 2007 05:27 PM

its a bit risky but i took a chance and i brought a car without v5. i got a form from the post office and applied for another one. it cost 19 quid and i never had any probs at all, it was to easy really. i didnt even have the blokes address as i lost the peice of paper. i even took the 19 quid of the sale of the car too lol even thou i knocked it down prior

satancom 23 November 2007 05:51 PM

Last car I bought didn't have a V5.. still not got one.. however its sorn, cost me £50 and I have just done the timing belt.. I know the seller so its all legit, if i can get her running I will geta new V5, if not ill just scrap her on the other blokes behalf!

If its a genuine sale then theres little to worry about really.

isubaru 23 November 2007 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by motoxxxr (Post 7433115)
its a bit risky but i took a chance and i brought a car without v5. i got a form from the post office and applied for another one. it cost 19 quid and i never had any probs at all, it was to easy really. i didnt even have the blokes address as i lost the peice of paper. i even took the 19 quid of the sale of the car too lol even thou i knocked it down prior

Yep, i certainly wouldnt be considering it if the car was of any great value.
I was thinking of doing a hpi check then asking the guy for some photo id, as i doubt if he were dodgy he wouldnt be selling from home?

God im suspicious!!

pslewis 23 November 2007 07:02 PM

WHY??

There are so many 'straight' cars out there for £1000 it hardly makes sense to grab this one (unless you know the owner very well).

It's cheap for a reason ... what is that reason??

isubaru 23 November 2007 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7433336)
WHY??

There are so many 'straight' cars out there for £1000 it hardly makes sense to grab this one (unless you know the owner very well).

It's cheap for a reason ... what is that reason??

It's not cheap for what it is, its priced accordingly.

The car is exactly what i'm looking for, minus the V5 of course!

stevebt 23 November 2007 08:36 PM

I have bought a car years ago without a V5 and it was only a matter of contacting DVLA and telling them !!! how it works today is a different matter

WetPatch 23 November 2007 08:37 PM

I have a U5 going cheap its not quite a V5 but it fit.