ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Forget the price of house or petrol this is far more serious (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/648799-forget-the-price-of-house-or-petrol-this-is-far-more-serious.html)

davegtt 20 November 2007 02:30 PM

Forget the price of house or petrol this is far more serious

This is hard hitting news and those who dont stand up and pay attention then this great nation as we know it will be finished for good, no matter who is at the helm

Price of a pint 'could rise 60%' | Business | Guardian Unlimited

revealing that 14m fewer pints are being sold in pubs each day.
This is unacceptable, the Germans will be laughing their tits of at us. I urge every single one of you to get to the pub tonight and do your bit for society ;)

OllyK 20 November 2007 02:41 PM

And surprise, surprise

In February, the Edinburgh-based company said England's smoking ban, which took effect in July, would cut £10m from annual profit.
4 pubs round me have shut since the ban.

blockmonke@fsmail.net 20 November 2007 02:47 PM

Chuffing heck a pint of export is already £3.20 a pint around here Time to drag the home brew barrel out of the shed and brew up some of kot's patented gut rot beer:D

AndyC_772 20 November 2007 05:44 PM

Yikes! But, at least there's always the option of brewing your own, as I do. Double the price of hops and I might end up paying... ohh, maybe 60 or even 70p a pint :D

BTW I've been away for a week and come back to find petrol around £1.15 a litre. What happened, and why exactly isn't there rioting in the streets? :mad:

davegtt 20 November 2007 05:51 PM

Im seriously concerned with the lack of input into this thread, where have all the beer drinkers gone :eek:

Andy, no point rioting in the street, the increase in fuel has nowt to do with the government so nothing will change.

Luminous 20 November 2007 05:52 PM

Because too many people just don't care about stuff anymore. I don't get it...they just accept stupid prices and pay.

Just the other day I was in town for some batteries for my scooby plipper. The local cobbler must have thought I was made of gold as he wanted £4.20 per battery, totally £8.40 per plipper for replacement. Cobblers to that, went on the interweb paid £5 for 5 including delivery. Exactly the same type/make as he was offering too.

pauld37 20 November 2007 05:53 PM

Maybe its old news ;)

davegtt 20 November 2007 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by pauld37 (Post 7425033)
Maybe its old news ;)

I dont live in the past unlike some Paul ;)

pauld37 20 November 2007 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7425041)
I dont live in the past unlike some Paul ;)

I'll remember that one when you're quoting Man USA facts and figures in the sports section :p

stringostar 20 November 2007 07:41 PM

in our town, altho not very big, up until 7 years ago we had 7 pubs in the town centre its-self. now we have 3 open, 1 closed which could possibly be open, and 1 which shut only this weekend... they said it was down to the smoking ban, causing people to stop in, and also people were buying cheap beer from the supermarket, and staying in... where they could drink and smoke to their hearts content

Shark Man 20 November 2007 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7425024)
Im seriously concerned with the lack of input into this thread, where have all the beer drinkers gone :eek:

Andy, no point rioting in the street, the increase in fuel has nowt to do with the government so nothing will change.

Sorry mate...I was at the pub :o

<hic>

;)

dpb 20 November 2007 11:09 PM

Got some slo-gin on the make presently :)

jaya 20 November 2007 11:14 PM

AHHH thats just it..think im going to give the old man a call,and ask him to show me how to start making my own beer..but i just dont get it,because it said in that article,that pubs are selling 14 million pints less a day..so its really clever to start putting the prices up isnt it..i mean its not like the fuel is it..i do have a choice if i want to go to the pub or not..or go to my local off licence and get 8 cans of carlsberg export for 6 quid...hmmmmmmm let me think.1 pint 4 quid.8 500ml cans 6 quid....think i know what im going to do..:notworthy

stilover 21 November 2007 09:51 AM

Well this is on top of what the Government are planning to do to the price of a pint anyway.

To stop underage drinking they are saying they want to add 20p to a pint. Who exactly will that stop underage drinking? They buy from off-licences, and not from pubs.
So all it does is hit you and me in the pocket again. More stealth Tax for Mr. Brown :mad:

Editeed to say.
Todays news is that the Government are threatening Supermarkets with solving the Binge drinking culture. They can't, so the Governments answer will be to Tax Booze to death.

davegtt 21 November 2007 09:54 AM

Up the drinking age to 21. Problem solved, that way anyone under the age of 18 will only be able to get their hands on it if others buy it for them.

Wurzel 21 November 2007 10:16 AM

and there was me thinking €2,80 per half litre was expensive. :D

SJ_Skyline 21 November 2007 10:36 AM

So it's 24 hour drinking, but only for the rich? :cuckoo:

stilover 21 November 2007 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7426641)
Up the drinking age to 21. Problem solved, that way anyone under the age of 18 will only be able to get their hands on it if others buy it for them.

That would never work.

One 21 year old Chav buys the Booze legally for the crowd of underage Chav's waiting round the corner.

The Government know fine well they can't stop this. But, just like Green Tax they will raise the Tax on Alcohol, and say they are saving the Planet from drunk teens. :mad:

Know doubt they'll come up with a plan for tackling obesity. Raise Tax on food so we all eat less. :rolleyes:

davegtt 21 November 2007 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 7426797)
That would never work.

One 21 year old Chav buys the Booze legally for the crowd of underage Chav's waiting round the corner.

The Government know fine well they can't stop this. But, just like Green Tax they will raise the Tax on Alcohol, and say they are saving the Planet from drunk teens. :mad:

Know doubt they'll come up with a plan for tackling obesity. Raise Tax on food so we all eat less. :rolleyes:

Erm, we're talking about underage drinking in pubs, hence putting the price of a pint up 20p a litre, this has nothing to do with price of cans in shops. :rolleyes:

stilover 21 November 2007 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7426816)
Erm, we're talking about underage drinking in pubs, hence putting the price of a pint up 20p a litre, this has nothing to do with price of cans in shops. :rolleyes:

Underage drinking is mostly done outside, and NOT in pubs. OK there might be 17 year old in a pub, any yoiunger than that and they'd be outside.

The 20p on a pint would not tackle underage drinking, as most of it is done on the street. All that 20p rise would do is give the Government extra cash from you and me who just want a few Pints on a night out.

davegtt 21 November 2007 11:35 AM

Who cares about underage drinking though, I did it and I'll bet you did it unless your tee total. Its life and it will always happen on the outside.

Although I dont know where your head is (in the clouds or sand) but theres loads of 15/16/17 year olds in pubs. I know I was going in them at that age and I looked young for my age, infact I was only asked last christmas for ID to get in a club and I was 26 then.... Depends on the pubs ;)

SJ_Skyline 21 November 2007 11:36 AM

I think I will have to go back to drinking thunderbird! :D

davegtt 21 November 2007 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 7426911)

Christ, thats a blast from the past....

Brendan Hughes 21 November 2007 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7425024)

They're all drinking petrol now, it's cheaper :)

stilover 21 November 2007 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7426906)
Who cares about underage drinking though, I did it and I'll bet you did it unless your tee total. Its life and it will always happen on the outside.

Although I dont know where your head is (in the clouds or sand) but theres loads of 15/16/17 year olds in pubs. I know I was going in them at that age and I looked young for my age, infact I was only asked last christmas for ID to get in a club and I was 26 then.... Depends on the pubs ;)

I agree there are underage drinkers in pubs, and yes I was one of them.

However, 20p on a pint won't stop it. They will still buy it. All it is, is yet another stealth Tax that everyone who goes to the pubs has to pay.
The Government know how much extra cash they'll raise through this.

stilover 21 November 2007 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 7426911)

I feel sick just reading that. :(

SJ_Skyline 21 November 2007 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 7426937)
I feel sick just reading that. :(

Chin up fella, sun's over the yard-arm :thumb:

PeteBrant 21 November 2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7426641)

So just to get this straight - You will be able to smoke, get married, have children, work full time, fight and die for your country, vote, go to prison, drive, become a police officer, or Fireman or Nurse, buy a house, have a credit card or bank loan and do juriy service - But you won't be trusted to drink.

I am not sure I can resolve the hypocrisy in that state of affairs.

davegtt 21 November 2007 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7426950)
So just to get this straight - You will be able to smoke, get married, have children, work full time, fight and die for your country, vote, go to prison, drive, become a police officer, or Fireman or Nurse, buy a house, have a credit card or bank loan and do juriy service - But you won't be trusted to drink.

I am not sure I can resolve the hypocrisy in that state of affairs.

OK, up the drinking age may have been wrong, how about use the policy that, if you dont look 21 you get asked for ID... 18's can still drink but you have to look 21 before you walk in without being questioned. Alot of supermarkets are using this now

PeteBrant 21 November 2007 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7426996)
OK, up the drinking age may have been wrong, how about use the policy that, if you dont look 21 you get asked for ID... 18's can still drink but you have to look 21 before you walk in without being questioned. Alot of supermarkets are using this now

I think thats fair enough - maybe even up to 25 - If you are in any way unsure, then ask for ID, and if they can't provide it, then they dont get served.