ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Is Top gear on?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/648477-is-top-gear-on.html)

Simon C 18 November 2007 08:03 PM

Is Top gear on??

got bbc 2 on an its som programm about Israel:wonder::wonder:

Oh looks like theor running late.

nik52wrx 18 November 2007 08:05 PM

Yes on time by my clock :)

gazza-uk 18 November 2007 08:41 PM

back to a car program - testing cars :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

Wizzbang 18 November 2007 08:53 PM

And isnt it bloody boring.......

We've had a hot hatch report, a race with an old Alfa and someone walking the channel, and now two estates

If it were like this every week the viewing figures would simply disappear

In short....dull as dishwater

fatherpierre 18 November 2007 09:01 PM

Tis finishing up pretty well with the motor home racing.

unclebuck 18 November 2007 09:07 PM

nice taps :thumb:

I'd love some of those.

TopBanana 18 November 2007 09:08 PM

Excellent response from the vibrating seat test!

AndyWalker 18 November 2007 09:20 PM

james was only bloody driving his old alfa through where i live - wasnt going nearly fast enough round B roads through garthorpe etc haha

Suresh 18 November 2007 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wizzbang (Post 7420356)

We've had a hot hatch report, a race with an old Alfa and someone walking the channel, and now two estates

I fell asleep during the M5 touring piece and woke up for the end credits :o.

Steve_PPP 18 November 2007 09:29 PM

haha that bird looked like she like that vibrating seat :norty:

And i can't believe that Merc estate was faster than the M5 Touring - i know the Merc was the AMG version but damn, that thing flew.

I'm sure Honda were well chuffed with Jeremy's review of the new Civic Type R as well :lol1: :lol1:

corradoboy 18 November 2007 10:02 PM

Best TG in ages for me, the promised return to roots. Two cars we can mostly actually buy, two cars some on here could (and might) buy, a very good SIARPC and some silliness, but just enough to cap the show. Just what I've been waiting for, now let's see them do it with some cars just on or about to hit the market !

cookstar 18 November 2007 10:07 PM

bllx missed it :(

fatherpierre 18 November 2007 10:31 PM

The one a couple of weeks back with the banger in Africa was the worst I've seen, and a million miles from tonight's.

More banter and less contrived rubbish was needed - and delivered.

Edcase 18 November 2007 11:37 PM

I WANT AN M5 TOURING.

There, I said it. Mind you, updated version soon with new gearbox and possibly more power!

fast bloke 18 November 2007 11:44 PM

Too much reality involved tonight, but that young lady seemed to enjoy the vibe :D

Shark Man 18 November 2007 11:49 PM

Normal cars within my financial reach :sleep:

And JC knows sod all about rear suspension on a FWD car (not as if he know anything anyway ;) ) - beams do work better if combined with a good front-end setup. Just in this particular case; It doesn't work on that lardy Civic. :lol1:

gazza-uk 18 November 2007 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by AndyWalker (Post 7420454)
james was only bloody driving his old alfa through where i live - wasnt going nearly fast enough round B roads through garthorpe etc haha

This was a new alfa,,

MooseRacer 19 November 2007 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 7420930)
Normal cars within my financial reach :sleep:

And JC knows sod all about rear suspension on a FWD car (not as if he know anything anyway ;) ) - beams do work better if combined with a good front-end setup. Just in this particular case; It doesn't work on that lardy Civic. :lol1:

It's excess weight that does for a Torsion beam setup...and the Civic has plenty.

corradoboy 19 November 2007 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by gazza-uk (Post 7420943)
This was a new alfa,,

Nah, they admitted that it's been on sale for 2 years. Similar with the Civic, been available for ages, and 5th Gear managed to test it about 6-7 months back alongside the Litchfield JDM imported version. Take note TG, although last nights show was a step in the right direction.

Nice downblouse shot of the girl who tested the vibro-seat :norty:

dpb 19 November 2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wizzbang (Post 7420356)

id have to say hes right :o

dpb 19 November 2007 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 7421415)
direction.

This was indeed THE highlight :(

SJ_Skyline 19 November 2007 11:54 AM

I'm surprised they didn't lie up the RS4 estate against the M5 and AMG :wonder:

corradoboy 19 November 2007 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Wilman - TG Producer
So the quandary is: which way now - cars and four million viewers, or cocking about and eight million viewers? It's a fair question, given we're a motoring show on the one hand, and egotistical TV people who like a nice set of ratings on the other - and one we knew we'd have to address come this series.
We have, and I think we're all agreed that chasing the eight million is bollocks; a false dawn, a night with a hooker when you're drunk. The thing is, the Top Gear audience is made up of several million who like cars, and then several million more bonus viewers; the ones who say "I'm not interested in cars but I like Top Gear..."
It's human nature that as TV makers we'd feel the impulse to go chasing those bonus viewers because it's good for the ratings and good for the ego - like pulling a standoffish girl - you get immense satisfaction in winning the harder prize.
But if we decided to go that way with TG we'd go mad. The bonus viewers want the next film that tops the space shuttle, or the next challenge that out-loonies the limos, and you just can't keep going like that. We'd burn out in two series and look like tits.
So what we've done is retrench to somewhere where we can be more comfortable, and in essence gone back to cars. You know when a huge band brings out a new album and they say "This time we just wanted to get back to guitar, bass and drums and instead of taking three years to make the new record we recorded it in just two weeks," - it's a bit like that.

I hope this is what AW promised starting to happen ! They just need to get up to date cars, unlike last night. Two shows out of nine would be good for cocking about, with a little in each of the other 7 shows, maybe 15 minutes.

Nimbus 19 November 2007 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 7420613)
bllx missed it :(

Repeated on Wednesday..

MOTORING: Top Gear
On: BBC 2 Midlands (2)
Date: Wednesday 21st November 2007 (starting in 2 days)
Time: 19:00 to 20:00 (1 hour long)

Motoring magazine show. Jeremy goes mad in two fast estates, Richard invents motorhome racing and James pits an Alfa Romeo against a man who crosses the Humber Estuary without using a bridge. The Stig attacks the test track in Honda's new Civic Type R.
(Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Marked By: 'Favourite: Top Gear' marker
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from Digiguide For Windows - UK and Ireland desktop TV guide for your PC providing 14 days TV listings for over 500 channels

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

Nimbus 19 November 2007 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 7421415)

Indeed. Very "perky".. :)

SJ_Skyline 19 November 2007 12:40 PM

It was hard not to get a downblouse shot, she was shorter than Hammond! :lol1:

Nicci 19 November 2007 12:58 PM

I only watched the first 10 mins before the snow knocked out the sky reception...grr. At least the repeat is only a couple of days away.

scoobynutta555 19 November 2007 03:59 PM

I might start watching it again if they are finally showing more 'normal' cars and less contrived slapstick.

TopBanana 19 November 2007 04:01 PM

The studio script is pretty dodgy these days isn't it? Especially the one liners they give James May.

Nimbus 19 November 2007 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana (Post 7422005)
The studio script is pretty dodgy these days isn't it? Especially the one liners they give James May.

This was the only bit that made me cringe. It was so obviously scripted.