ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Astra 888 Coupe (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/648130-astra-888-coupe.html)

J4CKO 17 November 2007 09:48 AM

Astra 888 Coupe

Went in my mates 888 yesterday, he has had a long succession of quick Astra's but this thing is mental, maybe I have led a sheltered life compared to you lot, not been in that many quick cars but this was fun for the sheer comedy value of how quick it accelerated and then stopped. Been in a few standard Scoobs and it was massively quicker, its difficult to tell but it seemed quicker than the bug eye Sti I went in. Impressive as it still seemed very drivable apart from the suspension, apart from the rear wing which is a bit too much for my advanced years (37) its a looker as well.

Ok, far, far from standard, basically just shy of 300 bhp, massive brakes, uprated suspension, if thats what 300 bhp feels like, what's 400, 500 like.

My 9-3 Aero felt very flat in comparison, got to order that remap now !

The one below isn't the one, just for illustration, the actuall one doesnt have the lower grille just a massive Intercooler.

http://www.davewilkinsgtr.co.uk/imag...picfeb0321.jpg

Scotsman 17 November 2007 10:13 AM

Is the 888 diesel?

mattbeef 17 November 2007 12:40 PM

yea its a derv

gazza-uk 17 November 2007 01:14 PM

the 888 copue was a standard astra coupe 200bhp petrol turbo, with diff wheels and spolier.

I used to own a ACT before my scoob and it felt quicker due to being fwd.

0-60 is 7secs

Lije I say, they feel quicker but they are not!

J4CKO 17 November 2007 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by gazza-uk (Post 7417167)
the 888 copue was a standard astra coupe 200bhp petrol turbo, with diff wheels and spolier.

I used to own a ACT before my scoob and it felt quicker due to being fwd.

0-60 is 7secs

Lije I say, they feel quicker but they are not!

This was, it was running just under 300 bhp, hybrid turbo, bigger I/C, remapped, exhaust, cams, ten grands worth of engine work by Courtenay.

The Chief 17 November 2007 03:34 PM

My mate used to own one (well an SRI Turbo)- in fact sold it and bought an Audi TT which he now regrets, it was pushing 218bhp and although it was not as sure footed as my Scoob it handled pretty well for a FWd and once rolling was a match for my car.

Not as bad as people make out

exvaux 17 November 2007 03:44 PM

i had an sri turbo and a coupe turbo,the triple 8 is vauxhalls equivelant of the 22B or P1.100 made all prepared by 888 racing who do/did run the btcc team for vauxhall at the time they were made,been out the vaux loop for a while but that was the other car i wanted when i was looking for a new one,but couldnt find one and scoob won,very underated cars

ScoobyDoo69 17 November 2007 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 7417241)
This was, it was running just under 300 bhp, hybrid turbo, bigger I/C, remapped, exhaust, cams, ten grands worth of engine work by Courtenay.

10k and only 300bhp... sounds like it could have been better spent! But still, nice looking cars, never been in one or anything so I couldnt comment on how they go.

J4CKO 18 November 2007 10:53 AM

Yeah, my mate didn't spend that, he bought it second hand, I think that includes suspension and brake mods.

Still, a lot of money, but a lot of performance when bought secondhand for less than the mods cost.

He is after an M3 now but I don't think it will be aggressive enough after that based on people experiences I have read about on here with the last model M3.

Matteeboy 21 November 2007 04:51 PM

Old shape Coupe is a petrol turbo with 200bhp.
New shape is a 200bhp/300lbsft diesel with the same engine as my car. I could remap mine for £250 to the same power but the chassis isn't up to it and it would probably blow the car up (it's already suffered total engine failure at 39k revs - fixed but with dire service) - No more Vauxhalls for me.

rob878 21 November 2007 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 7427642)
Old shape Coupe is a petrol turbo with 200bhp.
New shape is a 200bhp/300lbsft diesel with the same engine as my car. I could remap mine for £250 to the same power but the chassis isn't up to it and it would probably blow the car up (it's already suffered total engine failure at 39k revs - fixed but with dire service) - No more Vauxhalls for me.

Not surprised at 39k revs, thats an unbelieveable rpm for a diesel.

But seriously did they improve the suspension etc on the diesel triple 8's, i seem to remember that one garage did the work to create the diesel triple 8.

Matteeboy 21 November 2007 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by rob878 (Post 7427747)
Not surprised at 39k revs, thats an unbelieveable rpm for a diesel.

But seriously did they improve the suspension etc on the diesel triple 8's, i seem to remember that one garage did the work to create the diesel triple 8.

That was Thurlby and they have now released a T9 with more sorted suspension and brakes.