ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Police / Serial Killer / Forensics question? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/648041-police-serial-killer-forensics-question.html)

Vampire 16 November 2007 06:55 PM

Police / Serial Killer / Forensics question?

I was just wondering as I watched the news this evening, as the Police dismantle a house to find hidden bodies. Pretty horrible really, and must be very traumatic for the families of the missing girls. :(

But how does this affect the current house owners in practical terms?

I.e. I assume they've been ordered to move out, while potentially their whole house gets taken down brick by brick. Who do they get compensated by, the Police, their insurers, the crim who buried the bodies, etc?

It must be awful to just be told to move out, no idea when you'll get your house back, and even if you do it's effectively been demolished for you.

Would you be expected to just move back in to 'the murder house' and deal with the horrible thoughts of what went on there, plus the house would have a pretty scary reputation afterwards - would you be able to sell it for what it was worth before?

Obviously some places like the house belonging to Fred West, Ian Huntley etc get demolished afterwards, but Sky had a story about notorious 'Houses of Horror' so I guess not all get knocked down.

Sky News Pictures - Houses of Horror

David Lock 16 November 2007 07:39 PM

Not a lot of fun for any immediate neighbours either.

Imagine trying to sell the house next door. Puts a new perspective on the pre-sale questionnaire about any neighbourly disputes etc. "Nah, nothing really, just a few bodies........" dl

_RIP_ 16 November 2007 07:39 PM

Interesting post. I also thought about this.

speedking 16 November 2007 07:51 PM

Interesting thought.

I suppose its balanced by the odd person who finds a buried gold coin in the garden :thumb:, or a plastic bag full of fivers under the floorboards :Suspiciou

Sonic' 16 November 2007 08:02 PM

I wonder with this particular case whether they will search under the floorboards in the house too as well as the garden, especially as they have now found another body

Vampire 16 November 2007 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7415785)
I wonder with this particular case whether they will search under the floorboards in the house too as well as the garden, especially as they have now found another body

I'd assume so, especially as the first body they found wasn't the one they were looking for. Makes you wonder what else the guy did in his life. :eek:

My missus was horrified by this story, she said she just couldn't ever face going back to a house after you found something like this had happened there.

Steve vRS 16 November 2007 09:08 PM

Was the house built by Fred West? ;)

Steve

PS Before you infract me, I have a black sense of humour and would hate anything like this to happen to my family.

Sonic' 16 November 2007 09:12 PM

If it was built by the Brookside crew it would fetch a small fortune

Chris Moyles wants to buy the old Jordache house when it goes up for auction

f1_fan 16 November 2007 10:19 PM

Maybe it should be included in the new Home Information Pack

Number of bodies under patio

Thermal value of aforementioned bodies

etc.

Luminous 16 November 2007 10:28 PM

I dunno how it works, I do hope the current owners are not left out of pocket though. However, the way the world works it most likely means they foot the bill in some way or other.

oobster 16 November 2007 10:36 PM

A BBC reporter earlier today was live from the scene (in what looked to be elevated platform) that steps were being made to find permanent alternative accomodation for the house owners IF they did not want to move back in after the police were finished.

I guess the police have to put the house back the way they found it.

astraboy 16 November 2007 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by oobster (Post 7416183)

Bingo.
astraboy.

Vampire 16 November 2007 11:06 PM

Well that sounds sensible I suppose, but the folks have to live somewhere in the meantime too - if it was me I'd hope it was somewhere at least as good/convenient etc.

You'd still have the whole 'murder house' thing going on afterwards though. :freak3:

David Lock 17 November 2007 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by oobster (Post 7416183)

There's always a first.

dl

fast bloke 17 November 2007 12:49 AM

If you find one body your insurer will cover loss of value due to malicios act. If you find more than one body the the home office will offer similar compensation

Sonic' 18 November 2007 10:06 PM

It appears that this particular house is/wa a council house, and the current occupants have been permanently rehoused now

The police have said that the house will not be demolished, and they have dug up the floors inside on the ground floor and will be starting the 1st floor tomorrow

The council have yet to decide on the fate of the house, but will be speaking to the neighbours for their views

fast bloke 18 November 2007 11:45 PM

I'll give them a tenner for it as a BTL :D

SJ_Skyline 19 November 2007 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7420612)
The police have said that the house will not be demolished, and they have dug up the floors inside on the ground floor and will be starting the 1st floor tomorrow

They would have difficulty demolishing it, it's in the middle of a bloody terrace! That said, I believe the demolished West's and Huntley's houses.

David Lock 19 November 2007 11:49 AM

Now police are going to search another 9 or so houses that he lived in. More misery for the current occupiers and neighbours.

Pity the police aren't allowed a "robust" interrogation and ask him where the bodies are :mad:

Sonic' 19 November 2007 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 7421424)
Now police are going to search another 9 or so houses that he lived in. More misery for the current occupiers and neighbours.

Pity the police aren't allowed a "robust" interrogation and ask him where the bodies are :mad:

Maybe they should go back to old skool and get the pliers out and make the fecker talk

They are now digging up the front garden of the house

SJ_Skyline 19 November 2007 11:56 AM

I could do with them coming over and digging up my garden, there's some shocking weeds in the flower beds and the grass could do with a cut! ;)

speedking 20 November 2007 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 7421433)
the grass could do with a cut! ;)

Why does your grass grow so healthy and strong :Suspiciou

King Eric 20 November 2007 03:13 PM

Assuming that the current house owners are technically witnesses and have been holding onto the evidence/protecting it without knowing it they are involved in the case? You'd have to hope the Police/CPS would rehouse the people at no cost to them as clearly the hassle of flogging it/thought of living there would be too much?

Sonic' 20 November 2007 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by King Eric (Post 7424545)
Assuming that the current house owners are technically witnesses and have been holding onto the evidence/protecting it without knowing it they are involved in the case? You'd have to hope the Police/CPS would rehouse the people at no cost to them as clearly the hassle of flogging it/thought of living there would be too much?

Its a council house, and the council have rehomed them permanently :)

exvaux 20 November 2007 06:34 PM

and he has a history of hiding bodies under buildings,he hid that polish girls body under the church remember