ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Reply on ad in Pistonheads...what do i do? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/647871-reply-on-ad-in-pistonheads-what-do-i-do.html)

drb5 15 November 2007 09:35 PM

Reply on ad in Pistonheads...what do i do?

Just had someone ask about giving him a price to export my car to him and tbh i don't want to go and reply if it's someone dodgy, but what would you do?

He's asked how much it would be in dollars, so i presume he's in the US and i can't help but think that on it's own is strange....asking about buying a car in another country?

Jamie 15 November 2007 09:40 PM

Link

Terminator X 15 November 2007 09:43 PM

Scammers! Tell him cost is £100k ...

TX.

Borat_Drives_A_Scooby 15 November 2007 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by drb5 (Post 7413698)
He's asked how much it would be in Ugandan dollars, so i presume he's in Uganda and is taking the micky ?

Yeh that will be about right, be careful of someone looking like this saying he is from Dudley, West Midlands but he imports abroad so likes your car.

http://mobile.channel4.com/c4p/mobil...ker_clip_1.jpg

RB5_245 16 November 2007 08:59 AM

Well I'd go for saying the car is for sale in pounds, and if he wants to export it that's for him to sort out.

If it is US then sort of understandable given the status of a turbo classic over there, otherwise i'd just think scam straight away.

MattW 16 November 2007 09:06 AM

US$ is a common currency in non western economies as it is likely to be less volatile than their own currency.

Sonic' 16 November 2007 09:11 AM

When I sold my Laguna on Autotrader I got 10 emails a day asking to export, everyone of them went straight into the bin

stilover 16 November 2007 09:31 AM

Just ignore it and move on.

Ask him how much in Sterling it would cost you to shag his daughter.

drb5 16 November 2007 12:21 PM

Lol, thanks guys.

Thinking i'll just ignore it completely, as i'm unsure if he'd be able to get my email address if i replied and don't want to chance it.

Probein 16 November 2007 01:37 PM

Gooooood afternoon sir this is George Abagwengo. I'm calling about your car... The problem is there's a small pigeon caught inside the bonnet scoop which will need rescuing as soon as possible, and for us to rescue the pigeon we'll need your car keys and bank account details.

Lum 16 November 2007 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by RB5_245 (Post 7414267)
Well I'd go for saying the car is for sale in pounds, and if he wants to export it that's for him to sort out.

If it is US then sort of understandable given the status of a turbo classic over there, otherwise i'd just think scam straight away.

The status of a turbo classic in the US is:

a) totally illegal for road use
b) has steering wheel on the wrong side

I bet you this guy wants to pay you with a cashiers cheque and send him back the change as the amount is too high, you send him the £5000 change and the car then you find out the cheque was stolen and the bank want their money back. Classic scam.

Insist on having the money in advance, by Western Union, after all that's what they do when they want money off you that's untraceable.

Brendan Hughes 16 November 2007 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby (Post 7413735)

Watch it, it looks like he's already trying to unlock your car.

drb5 17 November 2007 09:22 AM

Just got another strange one from an "Azhar" with a weird email address, but this time has given me a mobile number to call him on.

If only i had a spare sim card i'd probably have called him.

Luminous 17 November 2007 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lum (Post 7414848)
The status of a turbo classic in the US is:

a) totally illegal for road use
b) has steering wheel on the wrong side

I bet you this guy wants to pay you with a cashiers cheque and send him back the change as the amount is too high, you send him the £5000 change and the car then you find out the cheque was stolen and the bank want their money back. Classic scam.

Insist on having the money in advance, by Western Union, after all that's what they do when they want money off you that's untraceable.

Payments through Western Union are not recoverable?

Lum 17 November 2007 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 7416885)
Payments through Western Union are not recoverable?

I don't believe so, though I could be wrong. There is a reason why the scammers always insist on Western Union when you are sending money to them though.

I thought this was common knowledge, certainly when I was walking past the WU branch on Tottenham Court Road and commented loudly to my GF "Oh look, it's the Nigerian Embassy", some random guy on the street laughed.

exvaux 17 November 2007 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lum (Post 7417760)
I don't believe so, though I could be wrong. There is a reason why the scammers always insist on Western Union when you are sending money to them though.

I thought this was common knowledge, certainly when I was walking past the WU branch on Tottenham Court Road and commented loudly to my GF "Oh look, it's the Nigerian Embassy", some random guy on the street laughed.

:lol1: class

pimmo2000 18 November 2007 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes (Post 7414967)
Watch it, it looks like he's already trying to unlock your car.

:luxhello::luxhello::luxhello::thumb: