ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Being flashed when overtaking (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/646337-being-flashed-when-overtaking.html)

jonathan100 08 November 2007 04:36 PM

Being flashed when overtaking

Does this happen to anyone else!? Coming home last night came up behinde a rover 200 doing 30/35 on a 60 road. I stayed behinde him/her for a few mins because i thought they would speed up. the road was very quiet and open so i droped it down a cog checked for oncoming trafic signeld pulled out overtook signels again and pulled back in. Prob a good 2 car lengths infront of the rover.The driver then flashed his hi beams a few times then put on the hi beam and left it on trying to blind me.
I can't see that i was in the wrong :confused: as i over took very safley and gave him/her loads of space befor and after the overtake. it's happend a few times now. Just wondering if anyone else gets this?

stilover 08 November 2007 04:37 PM

All the time.

Overtaking is illegal/dangerous/child killing, and a flash & a rant will make sure you don't do it again. Right

sKunk 08 November 2007 04:38 PM

Happened to me before several times, I just ignore it.

I do wonder what the hell they're thinking though ;)

cos500 08 November 2007 04:41 PM

I slow down and bang on the fogs, fcuk em, 30 in a 60 just bugs the **** out of me.

RUDDY 08 November 2007 04:42 PM

eeeeerrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!! makes you want to rip them out the car and stamp on the sawdust filled ugly retarded heads dosnt it!
that has gotta be one sure way to invite lots of road rage

johnnyroper 08 November 2007 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by jonathan100 (Post 7394957)
Does this happen to anyone else!? Coming home last night came up behinde a rover 200 doing 30/35 on a 60 road. I stayed behinde him/her for a few mins because i thought they would speed up. the road was very quiet and open so i droped it down a cog checked for oncoming trafic signeld pulled out overtook signels aging and pulled back in. Prob a good 2 car lengths infront of the rover.The driver then flashed his hi beams a few times then put on the hi beam and left it on trying to blind me.
I can't see that i was in the wrong :confused: as i over took very safley and gave him/her loads of space befor and after the overtake. it's happend a few times now. Just wondering if anyone else gets this?

happens to me sometimes aswell,rear fogs and middle finger salute out window is my response

T5OLF 08 November 2007 04:44 PM

Yep get it all the time, 2 or 3 cars driving at 45 MPH overtake one and get in the gap, next lots of flashing and fist shaking from the car behind. I also find they all like driving really close to each other instead of leaving a gap for people who drive faster than 45 to get in to.

stevebt 08 November 2007 04:50 PM

I get this all the time in my van :)

fivetide 08 November 2007 04:57 PM

You'll find that these people doing 40/35mph in the 60 will continue to do 40/35mph through the 30mph village they come across.

One is irritating but the other is much more dangerous i reckon and why speed cameras should be in 30 limits and not on the only straight bit of national speed limit road for 10 miles.

5t.

pslewis 08 November 2007 04:57 PM

I have had this a few times and I am only a little faster than the dafty old baffoon in the clapped out Rover/Proton in front!

I slow to a near stop, then stop, get out and ask what the fooook theyare playing at - trouble is, the daft old sods accelerate past and nearly knock you down!! :eek:

THEN you have to go and overtake them all over again - but this time they are driving like their tails pipes on fire!! :lol1:

Shark Man 08 November 2007 05:04 PM

This only happens if you have a silly exhsust and high-level rear spoiler.

Trust me, a wagon with pea-shooters doesn't suffer anywhere near as badly :p

gpssti4 08 November 2007 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7395030)
I have had this a few times and I am only a little faster than the dafty old baffoon in the clapped out Rover/Proton in front!

I slow to a near stop, then stop, get out and ask what the fooook theyare playing at - trouble is, the daft old sods accelerate past and nearly knock you down!! :eek:

THEN you have to go and overtake them all over again - but this time they are driving like their tails pipes on fire!! :lol1:

Sorry Pete, I'll try not to knock you down next time :D

imf1 08 November 2007 05:19 PM

People just aint got a clue, I think they think you get in their way or something :wonder: but then they usually suddenly speed up causing more
sh1t.
This is especially so as scoob tends to get by quicker and therefore back on the right side sooner.:lol1:

satancom 08 November 2007 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 7395055)

I get it a fair bit.. Jus ignore it and carry on my journey!

girl-in-a-scoob 08 November 2007 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 7395028)
You'll find that these people doing 40/35mph in the 60 will continue to do 40/35mph through the 30mph village they come across.

One is irritating but the other is much more dangerous i reckon and why speed cameras should be in 30 limits and not on the only straight bit of national speed limit road for 10 miles.

5t.

I agree... found this quite a bit.. one speed for everywhere... young girls in hot hatches are the main culprits...

as for the leaving the full beam on... 70% rear tints.... :thumb: leave your full beam on... makes no difference to me :lol1:

burns 08 November 2007 05:34 PM

Every morning at about 6.00am I catch a woman up in the little VW Lupo she drives at no more than 40mph from Bridgnorth to Wolverhampton.Very often there is a car or lorry quite literally sitting on her bumper itching to get past:freak3:
My question is this ..
What must go through her head(maybe a lorry one day ) as every morning there's some bugger trying to climb onto her backseat via her exhaust.:cuckoo:
Does she not notice ? has someone stolen all her mirrors? or does she think that everyone around Bridgnorth are nutters:Suspiciou
One day I might stop and ask her:iamwithst

girl-in-a-scoob 08 November 2007 05:35 PM

she's probably still putting her make up on on the way to work

fred coupe 08 November 2007 05:41 PM

never been flashed

v8voodoo 08 November 2007 05:41 PM

Does this happen to anyone else!?

Oh yes sir indeed it does. :lol:

It's like they suddenly turn into the overtaking police. :sleep: -> :mad:

Overtaking is something people used to do when cars were cars and if an E-type Jag overtook an Austin A40, the A40 driver would be impressed with the turn of speed the Jag had and not climb through the windscreen with a red face and shaking fists.

It's a different story now in P.C. gone mad Britain, it's a terrible, anti-social, planet-killing thing to do and you're a deadly, accident-waiting-to-happen, foolish, crazed, drug taking/dealing maniac. Not a hard-working person, enjoying their hobby and overtaking in a safe place with a good view at all.

Oh, and I really love the flashing then full beams thing. In fact it drives me fcuking mad TBH. :mad:

If I knew where to find a w*nker smiley, I'd post it in honour of them all.

Overtakers of the world unite. :thumb:

NB: If you do overtake doing over 30mph in a built up area, you also deserve the above w*nker smiley.

dpb 08 November 2007 05:45 PM

Does this happen to anyone else!? Coming home last night came up behinde a rover 200 doing 30/35 on a 60 road. I stayed behinde him/her for a few mins because i thought they would speed up. the road was very quiet and open so i droped it down a cog checked for oncoming trafic signeld pulled out overtook signels again and pulled back in. Prob a good 2 car lengths infront of the rover.The driver then flashed his hi beams a few times then put on the hi beam and left it on trying to blind me.

I used to get the horn-blast as well

however ive a less lairy motor now ;)

jonathan100 08 November 2007 05:50 PM

Thank god it's not just me! the first few times i got home and went to the back of my car checking for a broken light or an axe wealding mad man in the back seat lol

matttp1 08 November 2007 06:02 PM

rover 200 you say, you probably shook the flat cap off his head and his bottle bottom glasses to the end his nose, and he was probably only trying to clean the windscreen:lol1:

gam1415 08 November 2007 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 7395055)

Oh yes it does.

Seems quite a few people think that the national speed limit on a single carriageway road is 50mph.

wolfie28 08 November 2007 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 7395028)

5t.

Spot on quote. You all want to try Lincolnshire roads :brickwall. Old people, inept drivers and tractors what a fantastic combination :hjtwofing.

But remember - ITS SPEED THAT KILLS NOT BAD DRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (thats what the authorities say :nono: )

Wolfie.

jonathan100 08 November 2007 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by matttp1 (Post 7395222)
rover 200 you say, you probably shook the flat cap off his head and his bottle bottom glasses to the end his nose, and he was probably only trying to clean the windscreen:lol1:

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: Flat caps and rovers classic combo. Can't remember seeing a tissue box on the back shelf though lol

DLP 08 November 2007 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by burns (Post 7395140)
Every morning at about 6.00am I catch a woman up in the little VW Lupo she drives at no more than 40mph from Bridgnorth to Wolverhampton.Very often there is a car or lorry quite literally sitting on her bumper itching to get past:freak3:
My question is this ..
What must go through her head(maybe a lorry one day ) as every morning there's some bugger trying to climb onto her backseat via her exhaust.:cuckoo:
Does she not notice ? has someone stolen all her mirrors? or does she think that everyone around Bridgnorth are nutters:Suspiciou
One day I might stop and ask her:iamwithst

Shouldn,t have no problem overtaking along there mate nice open road,and come to think of it there are a few nutters round bridgnorth. :D

amego 08 November 2007 06:42 PM

followed a fella doing 15 in a 30 overtook then slowed down to 5mph for a minute see how thay like it pull of waving the middle finger:thumb:

Bug Eyed Peas 08 November 2007 06:53 PM

Just reading Wolfies post & something came to mind. It is slow drivers, that cause others to speed up & overtake & to take risks. Not only are they risking their own lives but others too.

I have, been caught behind a few cars that have been doing under the National Speed Limit. But I value my life more.

I can fully understand peoples frustrations on this matter. But wouldn`t you rather get to your destination in one piece than. . . . . . . . .

chocolate_o_brian 08 November 2007 06:58 PM

i get this most mornings. i drop the mrs off at work about 6.45am. one of her work mates is an old italian lady who has a deraged husband, whos totally incapable of finding 3rd gear in his lime green p-reg corsa.

so i usually follow him on the 40mph road until it meets a roundabout onto a quick stretch of 60. he never fails to hit above 38 on said 60, and i generally overtake safely if theres space.

now without fail, everyime i do this he beeps, flashes etc. this morning, it narked me off. i overtook safely, and the usual constant high beem and beeping followed. so knowing the road behind was empty and it joins onto a 40mph road quiet at this time, i slowed right down to 15mph. hes up my arse flashing his lights mouthing stuff old people shouldnt know. so i get to the roundabout which takes us onto the 40mph road. again no traffic, sat doing 10-12 mph, in second, burbling away just trying not to stall the car. best bit is he tried to overtake me a couple of times, and i just put my foot down (still well under the limit) to deter him and his piddily 1.2 corsa, and then slowed right back down again. childish i know, but i dont appreciate the highs in my eyes

lets say when he took the next turning the daft old get nearly understeered it into the lampost on the corner.

see what tomorrow brings...:)

unfeasablylargegonads 08 November 2007 07:29 PM

yeap, I get this too! At first I thought it was because my exhaust was loud so I now overtake at lower revs so its not like they get dive bombed by a spitfire :) I still get flashed etc.. though :(