ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Do Rottweilers tend to growl ?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/646119-do-rottweilers-tend-to-growl.html)

pimmo2000 07 November 2007 02:59 PM

Do Rottweilers tend to growl ??

Just been to the park, the one I spoke about in my other thread, with my pup..

Pups jumping round having fun and I spot a women with two dogs ones a rotty! She is really struggling to control the big ******* so I think .. being my dog isn't even 4 months old ... I'll trott off the other way.

Big dog and little dog are then let off lead and sure enough over they come. Now I'm not scared of dogs.. at all. So I'm not that bothered by the sight of the two running over and neither is my dog. Sniff sniff not problem. I stroke big dog whilst little dog plays.. (although a bit roughly) with my dog.

Then she calls big dog who wont move, wants me to stroke him and when I stop he growls at me... hmm ok move dog.. nope just deeper more agressive growling..

Women stands there shouting dog but makes not movement toward dog and dog ignores her.

I move, dog jumps up growling at me, I push dog away, this goes on for about 10 minutes with me trying to keep both dogs from standing on my dog...

Now I know its not my park :rolleyes: and I know all dogs arent the same :sleep:... but this women didnt seem too bothered about this big dog growling at me... I came away a bit shaken cause I thought it was gonna bite me or my dog.. no emotion in the dogs eyes at all, no friendlyness... just wanted me to stroke it and when I didnt it got angry..:eek:

MOK79 07 November 2007 03:11 PM

Rottie tend to me very vocal. Although can sound a bit worrying they are just grumbling and talking to ya

New_scooby_04 07 November 2007 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 7391990)
Just been to the park, the one I spoke about in my other thread, with my pup..

Pups jumping round having fun and I spot a women with two dogs ones a rotty! She is really struggling to control the big ******* so I think .. being my dog isn't even 4 months old ... I'll trott off the other way.

Big dog and little dog are then let off lead and sure enough over they come. Now I'm not scared of dogs.. at all. So I'm not that bothered by the sight of the two running over and neither is my dog. Sniff sniff not problem. I stroke big dog whilst little dog plays.. (although a bit roughly) with my dog.

Then she calls big dog who wont move, wants me to stroke him and when I stop he growls at me... hmm ok move dog.. nope just deeper more agressive growling..

Women stands there shouting dog but makes not movement toward dog and dog ignores her.

I move, dog jumps up growling at me, I push dog away, this goes on for about 10 minutes with me trying to keep both dogs from standing on my dog...

Now I know its not my park :rolleyes: and I know all dogs arent the same :sleep:... but this women didnt seem too bothered about this big dog growling at me... I came away a bit shaken cause I thought it was gonna bite me or my dog.. no emotion in the dogs eyes at all, no friendlyness... just wanted me to stroke it and when I didnt it got angry..:eek:

It most likely wasn't being agressive mate: if a Rottie is displeased, believe me, you'd know all about it!

As above: they can be very vocal dogs and he/she was probably grumbling because they were enjoying the fuss and didn't want you to stop! :thumb:

The owner should have come over and reassured you though. Even though you know what your own dog means, others don't and if it's a big animal, it can be very intimidating for the poor other person!

ns04

Devildog 07 November 2007 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 7392015)
It most likely wasn't being agressive mate: if a Rottie is displeased, believe me, you'd know all about it!

Stereotypical bollocks :brickwall. A displeased Rottie will act in in a similar manner to most displeased dogs. No better, no worse, unless trained to do so.

As above: they can be very vocal dogs and he/she was probably grumbling because they were enjoying the fuss and didn't want you to stop! :thumb:
Saved, though :thumb: As above, They are extremely vocal dogs. Our boy growls all the time when people are making a fuss of him. However, as with any dog, you should never assume that the growling is friendly unless you know the dog.

The owner should have come over and reassured you though. Even though you know what your own dog means, others don't and if it's a big animal, it can be very intimidating for the poor other person!
Absolutely - we always make a point of letting people know he's a "talker" as it is understandably somewhat unnerving at first.

New_scooby_04 07 November 2007 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 7392039)
Stereotypical bollocks :brickwall. A displeased Rottie will act in in a similar manner to most displeased dogs. No better, no worse, unless trained to do so.

Perhaps I should clarify: It's not like they're going to pounce on you and maul you, but just by virtue of their size, you tend to pay attention more when they start doing anything that might be interpreted as agressive, even if -as the poster seems to have done- you misread the signals. They are Big, powerful dogs and respect is due. Its natural that someone who doesn't know them might be concerned and that's where the owner comes in :)

I do agree that they have a reputation they simply don't deserve though! I've been around them and dobermans most of my life btw.

Ns04

Devildog 07 November 2007 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 7392047)
Perhaps I should clarify: It's not like they're going to pounce on you and maul you, but just by virtue of their size, you tend to pay attention more when they start doing anything that might be interpreted as agressive, even if -as the poster seems to have done- you misread the signals. They are Big, powerful dogs and respect is due. Its natural that someone who doesn't know them might be concerned and that's where the owner comes in :)

I do agree that they have a reputation they simply don't deserve though! I've been around them and dobermans most of my life btw.

Ns04

Fair enough - perhaps "bollocks" was a little strong :D

But give me a displeased Rottwieler before a displeased collie/insert chosen "ratdog" here any day of the week.

MOK79 07 November 2007 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04 (Post 7392047)

Ns04

Absolutely what he said....
All the rotties I know are the most well behaved and loving dogs I have come across. At the end of the day they only have their bad name because of a few "Bad Owners" whether it be they have too little experience with the breed or they want an aggressive dog that they can intimidate with. However a few do have health problems that cause aggression too.
At the end of the day if a jack russell was to go off its nut and attack someone it wouldn't be seen as that bad cause they are just a small dog and wouldn't cause as much damage as a big hefty Rottie

New_scooby_04 07 November 2007 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 7392062)
Fair enough - perhaps "bollocks" was a little strong :D

But give me a displeased Rottwieler before a displeased collie/insert chosen "ratdog" here any day of the week.

I'm with you on preference for Rottie over small dogs. I seem to have a way with dogs....ooer! :lol1: And the only dog EVER to take exception to me was a little yappy West Highland Terrier. Yuk! :razz:

That said, I did have a staffie for 20 years, (not exactly a huge dog) Interestingly, another breed with a "reputation" for agression that is -in point of fact- one of the most loving, loyal and human orientated breeds available!

The ratio of bad dogs to bad owners is well in favour of the latter!! :thumb:

billythekid 07 November 2007 04:03 PM

IMcE the general rule is never stroke / pet any dog that is not yours / known to you for some time. Even worse is to stroke / pet a dog which is away from its handler. General rule is to ignore.

Stick to this and you wont go far wrong.

pimmo2000 07 November 2007 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by billythekid (Post 7392117)
IMcE the general rule is never stroke / pet any dog that is not yours / known to you for some time. Even worse is to stroke / pet a dog which is away from its handler. General rule is to ignore.

Stick to this and you wont go far wrong.

It didnt given me much of a choice, rather me than my dog.

I think the owner not being able to control him made me a bit worried.... the point of the thread was to find out if the growling is a thing they do and you've answered my question perfectly Thanks

:thumb:

Brendan Hughes 07 November 2007 04:25 PM

You're welcome. Now go and pour paintstripper over the owner's car :)

pimmo2000 07 November 2007 04:37 PM

Dunno where she lives... I mean I wouldnt do that

jonathan100 07 November 2007 04:40 PM

sounds like the owner needs a kick up the arse! Don't get me wrong i love rotties to death (looking ito geting one as a play mate for my lab) but with a dog like that you need to have total control of him/her at all times.Not because it will bite someone (as long as it's been bought up properly) but they have a bad rep and if you get a 40kg rottie sprinting at you you're ass hole is gonna start twitching.By the sound of it though mate as said befor he was just coming over for a bit of fuss and a chat ie rottie grumble. can be very unnerving if you don't understand the breed.

The Snug Rhino 07 November 2007 04:59 PM

Stroking a dog you dont know is not very clever anyway.....think of it like a child you dont know - they may smile and wave and you .....but dont go stroking them in the park.

Devildog 07 November 2007 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino (Post 7392264)
Stroking a dog you dont know is not very clever anyway.....think of it like a child you dont know - they may smile and wave and you .....but dont go stroking them in the park.

Unless you're a 20 stone man mountain that can kill grizzly bears with your bare hands, of course ;)

pimmo2000 07 November 2007 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino (Post 7392264)

Well it came and sat on my foot and the women said he just want attention.. I was like er... ok its on my foot... she didnt move it though:thumb:

Alexppp 07 November 2007 05:11 PM

Hello Mate,

Back to your original question - Rotti's have more developed vocal cords than any other dogs. - Like you see in the Movies where they add sounds in when a dog is on screen, My Rotti makes those noises all the time especially when you stop stroking her, plus you get "The Paw of Death" which can really hurt if it get you in the right place. Oh by the way, there bloody smart too.

Alexppp:thumb:

Alexppp 07 November 2007 05:13 PM

Old Bernard Manning Joke:

What do you do if a Rottoweiler starts humping your Leg?

just tell him nicely to hurry up:)

A

Devildog 07 November 2007 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alexppp (Post 7392284)
Hello Mate,

Back to your original question - Rotti's have more developed vocal cords than any other dogs. - Like you see in the Movies where they add sounds in when a dog is on screen, My Rotti makes those noises all the time especially when you stop stroking her, plus you get "The Paw of Death" which can really hurt if it get you in the right place. Oh by the way, there bloody smart too.

Alexppp:thumb:

Ah yes, the "paw of death" :lol1:

Know it only too well :)

The only breed of dog I know that "asks" for attention by growling, and then punches you in the gonads if you ignore the verbal request :D

pimmo2000 07 November 2007 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 7392294)
Ah yes, the "paw of death" :lol1:

Know it only too well :)

The only breed of dog I know that "asks" for attention by growling, and then punches you in the gonads if you ignore the verbal request :D

Sounds about right for the situation... quite scary really for someone with no Rotty experience. I think if the women had said its ok that means he likes it or at least told him to be quiet.. I've been around big dogs all my life but never rotties

J4CKO 07 November 2007 05:59 PM

Just slap it on the nose next time, they respond really well to that....

pimmo2000 07 November 2007 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 7392397)
Just slap it on the nose next time, they respond really well to that....

:thumb: sound like a plan

a stupid plan but a plan :freak3:

davegtt 07 November 2007 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 7391990)
this goes on for about 10 minutes with me trying to keep both dogs from standing on my dog...

Problem solved, get a bigger dog ;)

pimmo2000 07 November 2007 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 7392448)
Problem solved, get a bigger dog ;)

Sadly they start off small, She'll be big enough when shes older:thumb:

Spoon 07 November 2007 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 7392278)
Unless you're a 20 stone man mountain that can kill grizzly bears with your bare hands, of course ;)

:lol1: A man mountain standing 6' 6" tall too!! :D

Jamo 07 November 2007 06:26 PM

mine also sits on peoples feet he feels comfortable with, dont know why, but he always does it with me and the mrs, and he virtually sits on our daughter.

out of the house a growl to anyone is a friendly growl, its a different case in the house if he dosent recognise the person, but thats just common sense I guess.

I work on the basis (with any dog) if they dont have a muzzle, they are off the lead and the onwer dosent look concerned, ile stroke the dog. if any of those elements are missing I just walk away.

luckily for me, I have a rottie so its like the parting of the red sea when I go anywhere so I can get out of the way quick lol

Simon 69 07 November 2007 06:58 PM

Your dog is gay.

Jamo 07 November 2007 06:59 PM

well he definatly likes you ;)

pimmo2000 07 November 2007 07:54 PM

ok....

Jamo 07 November 2007 08:07 PM

in all honesty he is a little bit gay.