ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Crunch, Chruch, 2nd gear has disappeared (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/646106-crunch-chruch-2nd-gear-has-disappeared.html)

SSCJAY 07 November 2007 01:45 PM

Crunch, Chruch, 2nd gear has disappeared

Was in a bad mood the morning, so took the frustration out on the car during a naughty first to second change managed to strip 2nd gear.

Just wondered If it will be o.k to drive home (wasn't sure if the broken bits of the gears might get caught in the other cogs).

Also any ideas on Price for new 2nd Gear(s).

Don't have the required funds for the PPG Set at the moment so may be time to take it off the road during the winter to get it done.

SSCJAY 07 November 2007 07:25 PM

Well I got It home, but in the process lost 1st, 4th, 5th and Reverse, So inside of the gearbox must be a right mess.

Can anyone tell me what parts from the existing Gearbox are used when putting the PPG 1-4 straight cut gears. (apart from the existing 5th)

cheers
Jay

The rookie 09 November 2007 11:28 AM

Until its strippped no-one will be able to hazard much of a guess to be honest....however I think to be honest its unlikley you have damaged anything that would be used in the PPG kit other than reverse....assuming you inteded to replace all the bearings etc regardless!

Simon

APIDavid 09 November 2007 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by SSCJAY (Post 7392647)
Well I got It home, but in the process lost 1st, 4th, 5th and Reverse, So inside of the gearbox must be a right mess.

Can anyone tell me what parts from the existing Gearbox are used when putting the PPG 1-4 straight cut gears. (apart from the existing 5th)

cheers
Jay

You need all the original synchros and baulk rings and bearings etc. Oh, and a TY 754 set of cases.

We do a repair 'fit kit ' for £200.00 that takes care of most rebuilds, allowing for the usual wear and tear. It includes relevant bearings and synchro cones and gaskets seals etc etc .

You would do best to get steel selector forks for the PPG although some early RA boxes have a version of steel fork fitted that is good enough, if they are not damaged. The have a little anti noise nylon spacer rivetted on from new and it wears and falls off, allowing the fork to twist. It is possible to silver solder a brass shim back in place to repair them, but can make road cars noisy. Competition cars won't matter.

Unless you really need straight cut, go for helical, as the straight cuts are an acquired taste for noise and can drive you nuts until you get into 5th. The straight cut sounds like a 1959 mini in reverse - permanently.

Call for a chat if you wish we keep all versions in stock.

David APi

SSCJAY 09 November 2007 01:25 PM

Thanks for the reply David.

Do you know what sort of power the Helical cut gears take?

I was told 450Lb/ft absolute Max.

Once I get a new ecu and better cams i'm going to be running between 450-500 Lb/ft mark.

thanks
Jay

APIDavid 09 November 2007 01:31 PM

Straight cut it is then. We do good ear defenders FOC with those as part of our service....................

Catch up with Mark Cook [ Cookstar on here ] when he gets his car back next week and have a ride and a listen to a straight cut.

David

Tidgy 09 November 2007 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 7397377)
Straight cut it is then. We do good ear defenders FOC with those as part of our service....................

Catch up with Mark Cook [ Cookstar on here ] when he gets his car back next week and have a ride and a listen to a straight cut.

David

pmsl, they aint that bad

Tidgy 09 November 2007 01:36 PM

hers a vid, its quieter inside the car compared to outside :D

Video of Scooby crescent - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

APIDavid 09 November 2007 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 7397392)
pmsl, they aint that bad

Deaf Git !!:D

Tidgy 09 November 2007 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 7397451)
Deaf Git !!:D

sorry, what was that, couldn't hear you????

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

SSCJAY 09 November 2007 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 7397377)

David

:lol1: I have heard them, nothing a 1000w sound system can't hide:lol: