ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   HOW thick are the Top Gear presenters? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/646061-how-thick-are-the-top-gear-presenters.html)

alcazar 07 November 2007 08:55 AM

HOW thick are the Top Gear presenters?

Watched one yesterday on "Dave".

It was the one where they time a BMW M6, an Aston and a Porsche 911 round part of the Isle of Man TT circuit.

When the Beemer and the Aston got the same time, but were roundly beaten by the 911, ALL THREE presenters started talking about the Porsche having the "best chassis" and "getting the power down" as the reason it won.

NOT ONE of them mentioned power to weight ratio.

Just sums up my reaction to those three at the moment:(

Alcazar

f1_fan 07 November 2007 09:14 AM

Well stop watching it then. I can't believe how anal people are on here are about TG.

It's just a bit of fun centred around cars, not an Open University course on vehicle dynamics.

If it doesn't meet your standards hit the off button.

mrtheedge2u2 07 November 2007 10:04 AM

The weather was absolutely shocking when they filmed that. So power to weight ration, whilst important, was not a massive contributing factor... in fact it could of been a hinderance to have a massive bhp/ton level due to been over-powered for the conditions.... so in reality the way the car handled and got the power down could of been a lot more important than an extra....... and do not forget, it was not a sprint they were performing, but over a fair distance, so once a car is up and running at speed the bhp/ton level becomes irrelevant in this instance

Luminous 07 November 2007 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 7391347)
Well stop watching it then. I can't believe how anal people are on here are about TG.

It's just a bit of fun centred around cars, not an Open University course on vehicle dynamics.

:luxhello:

The particular clip being talked about is one of my favs. Just watching them get drenched is most amusing, not to mention seeing the Isle of Man :D

myblackwrx 07 November 2007 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Luminous (Post 7391444)
:luxhello:

The particular clip being talked about is one of my favs. Just watching them get drenched is most amusing, not to mention seeing the Isle of Man :D

And the lovely noise of the Aston :)

Luminous 07 November 2007 10:16 AM

Oh the Aston *drool* :D :D

Leslie 07 November 2007 10:55 AM

I don't they are thick, but not all that knowledgable about cars and their perfomance.

Les

CupraDave 07 November 2007 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 7391347)

hear hear :thumb:

quality feature that one, and filmed on a quality road, I drive on it most days and it is just so much fun get the mad scooby grin everytime

P1-Brad 07 November 2007 11:01 AM

Have to agree with F1 Fan... I think Songs of Praise is a sh*t programme full of cardigan wearing god botherers, but I don't feel the need to come on here every week to slate it, I just don't watch it.

When are people gonna learn they have an option of what they watch!? :wonder: If you don't like a programme, for whatever reason, then turn over ... surely only an idiot would sit through something that they don't enjoy :confused:

pimmo2000 07 November 2007 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 7391525)
I don't they are thick, but not all that knowledgable about cars and their perfomance.

Les

er... might want to rewrite that ! :lol1:

New_scooby_04 07 November 2007 01:31 PM

They deliberately "dumb" the technical side down: they even used to go so far as to have a rule that they never lifted the bonnet on a car to show off its engine. When Jezza talks about a car having so many "torques" you know he's just taking the pee.

The whole point of TG is to appeal to non-petrol heads too these days, which it does admirably!

Ns04

satancom 07 November 2007 01:34 PM

I can sit down and watch top gear happily with my misses.. If it went on about lotsa technical stuff, i would still watch it, she wouldn't! Its entertaining telly, and I watch it cos its fun!

Simple realy

Steve_PPP 07 November 2007 08:45 PM

Agree with the generally opinion - top gear is far more a comedy entertainment show than a factual car review program. It normally has me and the mrs in stitches :luxhello:

bootsy 07 November 2007 09:51 PM

me also.if tg on and i'm in i'll watch it.if i find something better to watch i'm happy to turn over.no big deal

daddyscoob 07 November 2007 10:21 PM

Yep love Top Gear great entertainment - they only went ti Isle of Man cos Clarkeson has a place there.

Gymbal 08 November 2007 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by daddyscoob (Post 7393158)
Yep love Top Gear great entertainment - they only went ti Isle of Man cos Clarkeson has a place there.

And its a class (twistyTM) road, and they can shut the road for filming, and it has great scenery, and anyone can drive on it (and does).

But yeah, Clarkson does have a house (t)here. You dont see them howling around Chipping Norton, do you?

Leslie 08 November 2007 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 7391657)
er... might want to rewrite that ! :lol1:

I really can't be bothered, but so clever of you to notice and also very public spirited of you to mention it..

Les