ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   customs/vat costs on engine parts? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/645097-customs-vat-costs-on-engine-parts.html)

exvaux 02 November 2007 05:52 PM

customs/vat costs on engine parts?

looking at buying some engine parts from the states as the exchange is so good,does anyone know what the vat and customs charges are set at ie is it a percentage of the value of the goods or a flat rate :wonder: Thanks in advance,David

L.J.F 02 November 2007 06:27 PM

most companies class parts as gifts to avoid VAT. check with what ever company you are gonna purchase from.

exvaux 03 November 2007 01:08 PM

i know you can get away with that for some things but i doubt something like a turbo or short motor will be able to fool them

harvey 03 November 2007 01:22 PM

You wiill have to pay approximately 21% of the invoice value inclusive of delivery charge so budget for that. Sometimes an odd package will slip through but generally, some companies want payment of customs invoice before they will deliver. Others want payment on delivery and some send a bill six weeks after the consignment is received and you are miffed at receiving it after you have worked out what it is for.
If you can avoid someone that will have Parcel Force delivering at this end, that is a good move.

The rookie 03 November 2007 07:38 PM

You should pay 4% (into erope rating on MOST car parts) plus 17.5%VAT on the new total, so thats 22.2% effectively.

Simon

Tart Man 03 November 2007 08:02 PM

Can I hi-jack for a minute, as I'm planning on doing similar, but still playing with the costs:

Anyone have any rough ball park figures of shipping costs from the US to the UK, for say, a gearbox, flywheel and clutch?

And whos the best courrier to use? (UPS/FedEx/DHL etc)

exvaux 03 November 2007 10:30 PM

ive pmd a couple of folk i know have bought engines and parts from the states and when i get a reply ill post what they said :)

MikeCardiff 04 November 2007 08:47 AM

The purchase price will be cheaper, but once you add on the import duty ( dont assume you'll get away with it as hardly anything gets through now, and a legit company wont mark it as a gift ! ) , couriers handling charge ( up to another £20 ) and shipping costs if its something heavy, then the price wont be that much different.

Plus, if theres a problem with it, you'll have to post it back to the USA.

Personally, I'd say its worth it if you are buying small light parts that wont cost much to post, but heavier engine parts, then for the small amount extra you'll pay ( and not having to wait ages for it to arrive ) I'd just order one in the UK instead.

Nate 04 November 2007 08:57 AM

In the ESC area, we have someone that has a US address here in the uk ;)

exvaux 04 November 2007 09:53 AM

how does that work nate?is it someone in the forces?