ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   How do I upload pics to my webspace? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/64473-how-do-i-upload-pics-to-my-webspace.html)

Scoobychick 11 January 2002 12:49 PM

Hi all web designer/techy types :)

I've got some web space and need to use it to upload some piccies from my digital camera to post on here. I used to use Mattskis uploader thingy but now that has sadly disappeard :(

How do I do it? Do I need/would I be better off buying an image upload programme? Am I out of my depth here???

Sal (non-techy person but desperately trying to learn ;) )

mega_stream 11 January 2002 12:59 PM

You need some web hosting space, check with your ISP if they give you free web space...If they do post again and we can tell ya how to upload your files to your area reserved for your use on there servers..

John

KF 11 January 2002 01:01 PM

Sal,
When you subscribed to the ISP, they will have sent you a mail, or taken you to a webpage showing the following data:
ftp address.
Login name.
Password.

Some or all of these will probably be the same as your normal dialup login for that ISP.

Then you can use the command line ftp command (which is difficult to use) or a shareware ftp program (like cuteftp) downloaded from the net.
Good luck.
KF.

Scoobychick 11 January 2002 01:23 PM

Cheers guys

I've got 10mb of free web space with ntl broadband. Presumably I need to create my webspace using their wizard first? :confused:

I've got the ftp upload address etc but am really confused (which isn't hard), when my IT boyfriend gets back and sees this thread he will probably laugh his head off, I'd like to get it set up before that happens! ;) :D

Sal

McMiata Man 11 January 2002 02:08 PM

Hi Sal, it can all be very confusing at first.

To put in it's simplest form....

You have a hard drive with stuff on it..
Your server (NTL) has a hard drive with stuff on it...

You want to put your stuff on their hard drive...

Once the stuff is there(using cute FTP etc) everyone needs to know how to find it...

So you are given an address for your stuff, for example, mine is http://62.253.244.2/DavidScott/
and anything I upload will have that address in front of it.

Cute FTP has been great for me. It has a setup wizard which takes care of all the daft things I don't need to know about.

The main things you will need are:

FTP Host address - (mine is 62.253.244.2)
user name (usually same as your internet/email details)
Password (as above)

I'm online most of the time if you want to give it a try.

Dave.

Scoobychick 11 January 2002 02:14 PM

Cheers Dave - you speak my kind of computer language ;) It all sounds so simple when you explain it like that :) I'll give it a go and report back in an hours time (yeh right :rolleyes: ) when I've done it :D

Sal

Avi 11 January 2002 02:17 PM

I've got mine from Blueyonder, All i had to do was add it as a web folder in windows, enter username and password, and hey presto..

just drag and drop files into it :D

paulr 11 January 2002 04:05 PM

HI
I'm on NTL too.
I spent yesterday trying to do the same as you,with partial success.
Here's what NTL sent me.

Hi
Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Once you have created your web pages, you will need to upload the pages to your webspace. It is possible to do this initially using Internet Explorer.
To upload files to your ntlWorld webspace using Internet Explorer follow the steps below:

1. In the Address bar, type: 'ftp://upload.ntlworld.com' and click 'Go'.

2. Enter your ntlWorld username and password when prompted and click 'OK'.

3. You will see the directory of your webspace. If this is the first time you have accessed your webspace, you will see only one file there, called 'index.html'.

4. Minimise the Internet Explorer window and double click on 'My Computer'. Browse to the folder where your webpages are stored.

5. Highlight the files you wish to upload to your webspace. Click on 'Edit' > 'Copy'. Bring up the Internet Explorer window again, and click 'Edit' > 'Paste'. The files you selected will now be uploaded.

Please note: the first page of your website should be given the filename 'index.html' (or index.htm).

Your homepage URL is http://homepage.ntlworld.com/user.name

I hope this helps to answer your queries. Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

Paula
Technical Support Team

Scoobychick 11 January 2002 04:48 PM

OK I'm pleased to say I've designed (very roughly at the mo ;) ) my webpages, uploaded some piccies and hyperlinked the pages. I used CuteFtp on the free 30 day trial and my very basic knowledge of html :)

Not bad for a numptie and an afternoons work eh? ;) :D I'm going to have a lie down in a darkened room now....

Sal

McMiata Man 11 January 2002 06:22 PM

OI! what's the address then :D

WE WANNA SEE!

Scoobychick 11 January 2002 07:28 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooo...you'll only laugh so not till it's finished and anyway it's only so that I can host my piccies :)

Sal

Robertio 11 January 2002 08:39 PM

Come on now Sal, it's only fair that you provide your web address, otherwise I'll start guessing, and post it up when I find it :D :D

Andy W 12 January 2002 05:49 PM

come on Sal!