ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Current market value of a P1? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/642524-current-market-value-of-a-p1.html)

Cally007 21 October 2007 11:11 AM

Current market value of a P1?

Looking for a P1 just now and have noticed huge differences in prices for similar cars. Also on here in the forsale section people saying "THATS TOO EXPENSIVE" etc.

So in peoples opinion what is the sort of price is reasonable? Seen them ranging from 8k - 14k?!?

s70rjw 21 October 2007 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cally007 (Post 7346785)
Looking for a P1 just now and have noticed huge differences in prices for similar cars. Also on here in the forsale section people saying "THATS TOO EXPENSIVE" etc.

So in peoples opinion what is the sort of price is reasonable? Seen them ranging from 8k - 14k?!?

Whatever people are willing to pay in a nutshell. Condition varies so much, especially when you consider the cars are X or Y reg

p1prodrive 21 October 2007 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by s70rjw (Post 7346819)
Whatever people are willing to pay in a nutshell. Condition varies so much, especially when you consider the cars are X or Y reg

and 'W' and '51' reg as well :thumb:

speye91 21 October 2007 11:29 AM

10-11k is about right.

vindaloo 21 October 2007 12:28 PM

First and foremost, condition.

For a standard car, all panels line up with sufficient history and stamps in the book, £11K - £12K. Expect the odd parking ding as the panels aren't particularly heavy. Look for condition over mileage. Check who's been servicing or tweaking it.

J.

cos500 21 October 2007 01:03 PM

Ive seen alot of them that have had the engine rebuilt around the 60k mark, dont know if it was a common fault on these but it put me off having one.

rooferman 21 October 2007 01:04 PM

Spoke to a guy on the sidc stand (japshow)who had just picked a low mileage P1 for £8500....!!!!

Can,t remeember the exact mileage but sure it was around 30k

Looked spot on...

speye91 21 October 2007 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by cos500 (Post 7346992)
Ive seen alot of them that have had the engine rebuilt around the 60k mark, dont know if it was a common fault on these but it put me off having one.

Dont let that put you off,if it has had the engine done it should be ok.

The P1 did have a weakness that made the engine blow about 50k.

So if its been rebiult it should be fine.

matttp1 21 October 2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by speye91 (Post 7346997)
Dont let that put you off,if it has had the engine done it should be ok.

The P1 did have a weakness that made the engine blow about 50k.

So if its been rebiult it should be fine.

sorry to hijack the thread but what was the weakness mines got 58k and could do without the cost of rebuild or losing a kidney for the cause:thumb:

terryb 21 October 2007 02:10 PM

there is no particular weakness and the 50k mile failure is a myth - scary how comments on here can spread rumours like wildfire....

Fact is, Impreza (classic) engines can fail at any time, or maybe not at all.

There are countless threads on here and P1WOC about engine failures, etc, but the fact is if you buy such a car and use the performance available then you always run that risk.

You can take precautions to minimise the risk, such as a good safe remap, always using quality fuel, fit a knocklink, take it easy immediately after an oil service, but if you go for flat out runs on the M-Way then sooner or later it's gonna blow - I know as it happened twice to me. A knocklink will give you a visual warning that all is not right inside the engine and if you notice that lighting up then you can just ease off the gas and hopefully you'll be alright.

aggs 21 October 2007 02:30 PM

It took me 4 months to find the P1 I was happy to buy, previous history and owners charcacters can make a heck of a difference.
Some cars may be standard now but have been previously modified,this is not a bad thing as the car is reliable,but do not pay a premium for it though!

Good luck with your search, the car is worth every penny, it is more of an experience owning a P1, I have had 2 prev. Imprezas this is buy far the one which gives the biggest smile. :D

Depreciation should be less as well.

leerichosti 21 October 2007 07:29 PM

i drove 300 odd mile last week looking at p1's and this was the best i saw, went for another newage in the end, couldnt convince my heart over me head
http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/deta...V979713_1a.jpg
its just had a rebuild and still has a little engine warrenty from scoobyclinic,fsh all the mots etc,and new toyo's on it nice car worth a look!

stuh1981 22 October 2007 01:32 AM

I have had mine for about 8 months now, never caused me any problem. I would say that the engine thing is more myth than anything else. If you have a performance car, dont look after it and drive like a lunitic then it is going to go bang.

It is my second Impreza, I traded in my newage Impreza to get one and I have never regretted it. They are fantastic cars.

+Doc+ 22 October 2007 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by stuh1981 (Post 7348639)
I have had mine for about 8 months now, never caused me any problem. I would say that the engine thing is more myth than anything else. If you have a performance car, dont look after it and drive like a lunitic then it is going to go bang.

Totally agree, that coupled with using the wrong fuel.

[Davey] 22 October 2007 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cally007 (Post 7346785)

Not comparing P1 prices with regular Type R's are you?