ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   Installing new Kenwood + Ipod - help needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/639892-installing-new-kenwood-ipod-help-needed.html)

cpk 08 October 2007 01:33 PM

Installing new Kenwood + Ipod - help needed

Hi

I'm 99% sure I'm going to replace my stock stereo with a single din kenwood so it can drive an Ipod.

Anyway, ipod aside, will the current Subaru connections simply plug into the back of a standard single din Kenwood unit or will I require an adapter?

Also, where do people find the best/easiest place to put the Ipod connection lead - glovebox or armrest?

And finally....The forester pocket with flap - is that the same colour silver as an 03 dash? In the pics I've seen it looks different in which case a black pocket may be my preference as it matches the vents/air con dials...

Any help/comments/opinions on the above is much appreciated.

escott 08 October 2007 09:23 PM

You will need to get an ISO adapter cable to fit the Kenwood, you can get this from a Subaru dealer. The head unit itself should come with an ISO pluig which will then fit this.

I've got the black pocket, but I think the silver Forester flip looks better - can't comment on whether it's an exact match but it looks OK in the pics I've seen (search for Singile DIN in this thread, I'm sure there are some posted).

For a pic of my setup check my View My Scooby link on the left - sorry the pic isn't great!

You could try putting the iPod connection in the pocket or flap, just put a hole in the back. If you do, let me know how you get on - I think this might be my next addition!

escott 09 October 2007 09:16 PM

You can find the ISO cable harness here:

Welcome to ScoobyShop

steve nic 10 October 2007 08:34 PM

if you have the oe kenwood/subaru unit the kenwood ipod box will plud directly into it(aslong as it can control a cd changer)

cpk 10 October 2007 08:40 PM

So I can control my ipod through my subaru heat unit, with the ipod controll from Kenwood?

As long as I can sort the sound quality out that sounds like a good solution, stops any potential thieves then....

steve nic 10 October 2007 09:15 PM

:thumb:

Andygreer 11 October 2007 11:53 AM

mate if your car is a Newage i can tell you the KENWOOD Ipod kit fits the head unit and your Ipod will work with that ;)

you can go up and down the tracks via the headunit.

you can set the buttons 1-6 to change the folders ;)

Andy

cpk 11 October 2007 01:29 PM

Great, that's good news.

Whereabouts do you have your ipod cable installed - glove box/arm-rest?

Just to clarify - an 03 is a new-age...?

OLLIeRB5 11 October 2007 04:45 PM

for those who have done this, how well does it work?

i used to use the ip500 lead on a 6029 double din screen but upgraded to the 7029 with ipod usb direct

RafaelChandler 14 October 2007 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Andygreer (Post 7322944)
mate if your car is a Newage i can tell you the KENWOOD Ipod kit fits the head unit and your Ipod will work with that ;)

you can go up and down the tracks via the headunit.

you can set the buttons 1-6 to change the folders ;)

Andy

Anyone know what part I have to buy and where from to do this?

I have a 55sti (hawkeye)

bugeyeandy 14 October 2007 11:19 AM

I bought the Kenwood Ipod adaptor from Ebay.
The part number is KCA-IP500 and it cost me £35.
I then ran the ipod connection cable through to my armrest stowage and keep my ipod in there.
As for using it, it turns each of your playlists into a CD in the CD changer part of the head unit. You don't get to see artist or track names just a track number within that playlist.
I've set up a couple of playlists just for use in the car as I find it hard to find a particular track otherwise.
Good kit though, if you leave your Ipod in the car all the time it switches itself off and charges when the head unit it on.