ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Fuel of confusion (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/639844-fuel-of-confusion.html)

Daves99 08 October 2007 09:39 AM

Fuel of confusion

Hi All,

Just picked up my GB270 Wagon at the weekend very happy :) Got the car with a full tank of gas, so didn't worry about filling up. While having a nose around opened the fuel cap, and on the filler flap was the sticker which advises 95RON fuel only :wonder:

Now question, when I next fill up, do I use 95 as instructed or V-power/tescos99 ect. I don't think it will damage the car, but I don't want to try and find out either.

Any advice please guys.

Many thanks

Dave

The Trooper 1815 08 October 2007 11:13 AM

Can of worms is now open:cry:

Read this months What Car? and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. But many a Scooby owner will disagree...............................

Body armour on and batten down the hatches:norty:

[Davey] 08 October 2007 11:21 AM

Its a standard UK car, designed to run on premium fuel, 95 is fine!

Fuzz 08 October 2007 01:31 PM

Easy.

Run it on 95 until you start modifying it, then start using V-Power.

pslewis 08 October 2007 01:36 PM

95 is perfectly ok - but, you 'may' feel a difference if using a Higher RON.

You choose ........................

AndyC_772 08 October 2007 01:42 PM

Or even: try both, and see which you prefer. My MY00 classic with PPP was definitely happier on SUL; on 95 it was noisier and felt quite asthmatic at the top end.

IIRC the sticker under the filler cap is intended more for other European countries, where lower octane fuel is available than in the UK - using such fuel would risk damage.

Butty 08 October 2007 02:41 PM

Doesn't the GB270 come with a Prodrive certificate to show PPP is fitted?
This should show that RON 98 fuel is recommended, despite what the sticker on the fuel flap says.
Nick

Daves99 08 October 2007 03:31 PM

Thanks all for the feed back, :)

Just had me confused as my old MY05 WRX was 98, and the new one was 95. I was not sure why the change, or if there was a need not to use higher RON fuel. I have also seen the What car write up, which did show very little or no gain with higher RON fuels. Unless of course your life runs on 0.1 of a second:norty:

I think I will stick with 95 for the first 1k, then try V-power to see if there is any change.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Dave

Mr Footlong 08 October 2007 03:48 PM

Erm, shouldn't the car be able to adjust to a point with better fuel and run more ignition advance and therefore get a bit more power? Not a real tech head so don't bite my head off please :).

mgcvk 08 October 2007 04:26 PM

My old car used to say min 95 ron on the filler cap and my current one says use 98 ron. Both UK cars.

zs_phil 08 October 2007 06:52 PM

ive just got a uk 53plate wrx and on the petrol door on the inside it says 98 ron
so i just put ultimate in or if i go near the shell garage which is about 10 miles away ill put v power in which i do prefer :)