ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   should you tell your insurance if you change your backbox to an aftermarket backbox? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/639287-should-you-tell-your-insurance-if-you-change-your-backbox-to-an-aftermarket-backbox.html)

drtchock 05 October 2007 04:06 PM

should you tell your insurance if you change your backbox to an aftermarket backbox?

since its not a 'performace modification'?

madisonmonkey 05 October 2007 04:14 PM

yes.

ScoobyCJ 05 October 2007 04:15 PM

you should :norty:

Norman Dog 05 October 2007 04:32 PM

Yes you do. Admiral charged me £50 for the privlege then told me they would only replace it with the original part in the event of an accident.:mad:

Aztec Performance Ltd 05 October 2007 04:33 PM

yes

donnas roo 05 October 2007 05:15 PM

I did when i changed mine, better to be safe than sorry.:notworthy

Varboy 05 October 2007 05:23 PM

Tell them absolutely everything as come crash time the 'independent' engineer will be hawking around your car looking for ways to invalidate your claim.

Simon 69 05 October 2007 09:55 PM

They cant 'invalidate' third party claims, no matter what you are told. They can and will deduct the cost of the extra premium from any settlement made to you though.

axgt_bwaii 06 October 2007 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by drtchock (Post 7308044)
since its not a 'performace modification'?

its still a modification making the car more desirable to a thief and most backboxes will give a power gain over stock.

stew

richs2891 06 October 2007 10:17 AM

OK playing devils advocate here (have told my insurance co about mine) - If your car was written off / damaged how many so called insurance experts would notice it ?
If have taken out a bus stop full of people then yes your car would be gone over with a fine tooth comb, but a straight forward rear end / front end etc hit do you really think going to be checking your car that carefully - especially when its throwing it down with rain and its in a muddy recovery / salvage yard ??

Richard

pslewis 06 October 2007 12:52 PM

I told LV ....

They said that I couldn't change it for a non-Subaru BackBox AT ALL ...... until renewal, of course, when they were all of a sudden willing to listen to me - it's the only time you have them with their trousers down.

LV then wrote to me and said, OK, fit a non-standard exhaust as long as there is no performance increase (which, of course, everyone knows there isn't).

they did add that in an accident they would only replace wit a standard backbox, fair enough I said.

New_scooby_04 06 October 2007 01:14 PM

Yes, you must. Simple as that. It's not just the implications of changes for performance, but also for attractiveness to theives, overall value of the car etc...

Policies are based on absolute disclosure, failure to inform them of any mod, could lead to them refusing to pay out in the event of a claim.

Ns04