ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Road Rage (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/63862-road-rage.html)

Chris L 09 January 2002 09:09 AM

Taken from the Sunday Telegraph:

Road rage
(Filed: 05/01/2002)

Helen Mound gets revved up about motorists who feel above the law

I've raged before about elderly motorists' lack of attention to the road. And been scolded, quite rightly, for it. It happens to us all, of course. But there is no getting away from the fact that when older motorists make mistakes it's because their brains are no longer up to the job, while younger motorists make mistakes because they blatantly and defiantly refuse to get it right.

A case in point: a speed trap yesterday coming into our town. A young lad in a Peugeot (why do they all drive Peugeots?) is the first to get pulled over doing 40mph in a 30 zone. He puts his hands up and accepts he was speeding. He knows exactly what speed he was doing, that he was wrong and, frankly, that had he not been caught he would have continued doing it. He takes his punishment with a nod of resignation and a brief scowl.

Next up, a chap in his sixties driving a Rover (why do they all drive Rovers?), flat cap, driving gloves, beige anorak and a determined view that his driving is perfect and beyond criticism. The arm-waving and pointing back and forth indicate a disagreement with the officer holding the speed gun. Rover man stamps his foot, removes his hat, writes some notes and wags his finger. This is the sort of elderly motorist so common in our rural area. He drives at 40mph everywhere, regardless of the posted speed limit, and thinks he is competent and safe. Woe betide anyone who dares question his talent and experience.

I hope the policeman threw the book at him.

..... and Scoobychick's Dads' response printed today :)

Click on the link here and goto 'Letters to the Editor' - 'Charismatic Car' :D :D Nice one John :)

Chris

davyboy 09 January 2002 09:12 AM

I was behind an old duffer yesterday who stopped at a huge roundabout when he stopped, and nothing was coming, you could see for miles!

what the bloody hell is that all about!

Disco 09 January 2002 09:16 AM

I notice he didn't deny the driving gloves or biege jacket though!;)

EvilBevel 09 January 2002 09:28 AM

LOL :D

Wonder if this will spark a flame ware between him and a 74 year old Evo driver ;)

fast bloke 09 January 2002 09:36 AM

My dad is in his late 60's and refuses completely to turn off his fog lights. He even drives on sides and fogs. I've pointed this out on several occasions to no avail. When the police pulled him for it he argued for about 20 minutes that they where driving lights. :confused:

Last Friday my wife ran into the back of some old duffer who pulled off an emergency stop on a clear straight piece of motorway cos he didn't know where he was supposed to be going. He wasn't lost, he just simply didn't know what his destination was. Obviously her fault for not leaving a big enough gap, but if you can't drive and remember what you are doing at the same time maybe you shouldn't be on the road?

I think Ms Mound has a point, but makes it into such a generalisation that it is not constructive

Chris L 09 January 2002 10:26 AM

Disco

I threatened to buy John a flat cap and some driving gloves for his birthday :D :D

Chris

Disco 09 January 2002 11:19 AM

A swift rebuffle received no doubt:D:D:D

Dave T-S 09 January 2002 11:25 AM

Chris

LOL:D

AND he can reverse his mate:):););)

MATTeL 09 January 2002 11:27 AM

That is a superb response to the article... thank John from my office Chris! :D

It has sparked laughs and now a very heated debate on drivers and age!

Mark

tonybooth 09 January 2002 12:09 PM

Helen Mound? What a great name. Not :D:D

TONY

Chris L 09 January 2002 03:06 PM

Watch it Dave - remember I have the pictures from the last carting meet :D :D

Chris