ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Manchester City or Manchester United ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/638204-manchester-city-or-manchester-united.html)

Paul3446 01 October 2007 01:21 PM

And you can back that claim up with what evidence? :wonder:

wrx-kris 01 October 2007 01:24 PM

All the people I know, family and friends (a fair amount).

Paul3446 01 October 2007 01:26 PM

Well that's a scientific survey then! :lol1:

Don't tell me, you ask everyone at City home games who they support and then assume that no-one in Manchester supports United?

wrx-kris 01 October 2007 01:28 PM

Can you give evidence otherwise? :)

coolangatta 01 October 2007 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 7294694)
I personally cant be doing with Man Utd Glory hunting Prawn Sandwich eating Box owning part time fans,

But they pale into insignificance compared to bitter, chip on shoulder, dour faced, resigned, miserable, persecution complected, grim faced, mean spirited City fans.

Like your stuff on the 'City fans', However you decry United for 'glory hunting'. Isn't all sport, and for that matter the war that sport plays surrogate for, glory hunting? :confused:
Nothing wrong with glory or the ambition to have it.
BTW, one side in Manchester are true champions with a pedigree to prove it. The other is 5hitty, sorry city.

Paul3446 01 October 2007 01:35 PM

No, but I didn't make the following statement:

"The majority of people who live in Manchester support city."

I would be very surprised if there are more City season ticket holders in Manchester than United ones though!

coolangatta 01 October 2007 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 7296591)

I would be very surprised if there are more City season ticket holders in Manchester than United ones though!

Spot on you!
The amount of cr@p that's talked about United fans not belonging to Manchester. I know personally many manc fans of United. It's also the case that I know a lot of Liverpool <spits> fans who are far, far away from Liverpool and are about as scouse as the next Mongolian.

PeteBrant 01 October 2007 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by coolangatta (Post 7296589)
Like your stuff on the 'City fans', However you decry United for 'glory hunting'. Isn't all sport, and for that matter the war that sport plays surrogate for, glory hunting? :confused:
Nothing wrong with glory or the ambition to have it.
BTW, one side in Manchester are true champions with a pedigree to prove it. The other is 5hitty, sorry city.

I think you are misinterpreting the term "gloryhunting".

I.e. supporting a side, that is further from your local side, because they ar emore successfuly. I am sure there are plenty of people that should be supporting Bury, Stockport, preston and the like but instead support United (or city for that matter)

angrynorth 01 October 2007 01:53 PM

Put it this way, those living in Manchester will have no doubt heard the radio ads begging for fans to turn out at home premiership games. If Manchester was "so blue" then this would not have to happen.

Manchester currently has a population of over 2m people, and it only takes 47k to fill up the Boo Camp, so surely there aremore than enough people willing to fill it up if more than 1.1million people in Manchester were blue.

Truth is, the bitters have got one of the lowest attendance records in the league this year: FOOTBALL / STATS

A typical example of why this is happened the other night. I was speaking to one of my bertie mates about whether he was going to watch the midweek game against Norwich last week and he said "not if its raining" :rolleyes: . This is a die-hard fan of 36 years too.

coolangatta 01 October 2007 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7296622)
I think you are misinterpreting the term "gloryhunting".

I.e. supporting a side, that is further from your local side, because they ar emore successfuly. I am sure there are plenty of people that should be supporting Bury, Stockport, preston and the like but instead support United (or city for that matter)

What do you mean 'should be'?
I'm a United fan who lives in Japan. 'Should' I now be supporting Urawa Reds?
'Should' I have stuck to watching my home town in Sunday league football because that was just a few hundred yards away.
Can't see what distance from/to has to do with anything :confused:

wrx-kris 01 October 2007 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 7296591)

I didn't realise I had to go in to graphic detail about my information and how I searched.

Just a re-cap for the uneducated amongst us.

My "statement" is from what I have personally seen over the years I have lived here. Collecting information from friends and family and people I know, in MY opinion "The majority of people who live in Manchester support city."

capisce? :thumb:

davegtt 01 October 2007 02:32 PM

Manchester = City
Salford = United

There, thats that settled.

;) :D

The Zohan 01 October 2007 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 7294694)
I personally cant be doing with Man Utd Glory hunting Prawn Sandwich eating Box owning part time fans,

But they pale into insignificance compared to bitter, chip on shoulder, dour faced, resigned, miserable, persecution complected, grim faced, mean spirited City fans.

agreed!

PeteBrant 01 October 2007 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by coolangatta (Post 7296643)
Can't see what distance from/to has to do with anything :confused:

Quite Simple. You should support your local team.

The only reaons people don't is Glory Hunting. Q.E.D.

Paul3446 01 October 2007 02:58 PM

Well City have 27,000 season ticket holders and United have 56,000 season ticket holders. Even if you assume that all City season ticket holders live in Manchester (which obviously they don't), that would mean that about 55% of United season ticket holders live somewhere else. Not very likely is it? :lol1:

Paul3446 01 October 2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

What about people born in Manchester who then move, should they switch allegiance? :wonder:

ChrisGrant 01 October 2007 04:16 PM

I'm a Arsenal fan guess who I voted for!!!:lol1:

PeteBrant 01 October 2007 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 7296807)
Quote:

What about people born in Manchester who then move, should they switch allegiance? :wonder:

If your local team is Manchester United, then that's your team. O focurse you don't switch and change dependant on your location. Of course there is nothing wrong with going to see a local team play though.

Also, the old "I was born in Manchester" line is the oldest one in the book :D

Paul3446 01 October 2007 04:43 PM

Just pointing out th at it's not as simple as saying everyone should support their local team. It probably was in the 50's when no-one ever moved.

PeteBrant 01 October 2007 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 7297053)
Just pointing out th at it's not as simple as saying everyone should support their local team.

Course it is - By the time you are old enough to be into football and choose a club, where you are living at that point, will determine your local club. Unless you are some form of romany gypsy, it's not really a problem I wouldn't have thought.

You have your real football fans, that make thier decision based on thier local community, and you have your glory hunters that choose based on who wins lots of things.

Unless of its just coincidence that the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal have lots more fans that other teams, and really they are just vastly over crowded parts of the country ;)

To be fair to Liverpool and Utd and Arsenal, they have always had a big fan base - When Utd went down in the mid 70's they still had 50,000 odd at Old Trafford. Chelsea on the other hand are the Blackburn of the current age - I can remember going to Stamford Bridge and them struggling to get 15,000 in - especially during their Div 2 days.

Paul3446 01 October 2007 05:08 PM

Quote:
Course it is - By the time you are old enough to be into football and choose a club, where you are living at that point, will determine your local club.

Exactly, so anyone who lived in Manchester until they were 7, then moved away to Portsmouth, should support Manchester United still.

PeteBrant 01 October 2007 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 7297115)

Exactly, so anyone who lived in Manchester until they were 7, then moved away to Portsmouth, should support Manchester United still.

Indeed (assuming Manchester United was the local club).

Of course if everyone was actually telling the truth about "leaving Manchester when they were 7" then Manchester not only produces more babies than any other city on Earth, it is also one of the most unpopular places to live, given the vast numbers of people that up sticks and move as soon as thier kids hit 7.

The Rig 01 October 2007 07:04 PM

Utd.

My best chant of later yrs....

we ate leeds scum, we ate leeds scum.

so simple yet so affective on the day !

it was the last time i saw Utd play leads, 2-1 to Utd,sweet.

The Rig 01 October 2007 07:06 PM

i never nor have or will live in manchester,what atrracted me to the club back in 1989 was the skill i saw and the way they played,it was even better when the premier league came about !!!

PeteBrant 01 October 2007 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 7297436)
i never nor have or will live in manchester,what atrracted me to the club back in 1989 was the skill i saw and the way they played,it was even better when the premier league came about !!!

Oh i think anybody claiming that United play anything other than fantastic attacking football is blinkered in the extreme. United and Arsenal are by far the most entertaining sides in the prem.

PeteBrant 01 October 2007 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 7297436)

Oh i think anybody claiming that United play anything other than fantastic attacking football is blinkered in the extreme. United and Arsenal are by far the most entertaining sides in the prem.

Jamie 01 October 2007 09:56 PM

City....................................Liverpool fan btw :)

davegtt 01 October 2007 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7298087)

True, but if your picking a team on how they play then surely your picking them for the glory ;) Also if your picking a team for how they play then Arsenal should be the only team supported in football today IMO ;) Unless you like to watch hoof ball in which case Ronnie Moores Tranmere should be top of the list :D

The Rig 01 October 2007 10:43 PM

well,as i tell these weirdos who insist i support Utd for the glory.

apart from the title last season,what have we really won this decade ???

not much glory is it,well,i suppose compared to the toon army fans it is,but there not called glory hunters are they.

CrisPDuk 02 October 2007 06:44 AM

I don't know about Manchester as a whole, but I can confirm that Salford is indeed crawling with Mancs who support ManUre:rolleyes:

Liverpool aren't my local club, but they were my Gran's, so that's where she used to take me every Saturday, against my Mum's better judgement, from a very early age:thumb:
Indoctrination is everything, as 'Uncle' Joe Stalin once said, "get 'em young, get em for life:lol1:

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 7298355)
not much glory is it,well,i suppose compared to the toon army fans it is,but there not called glory hunters are they.

They are by Mackems:lol1: