ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   P1 brakes squeal when put on in reverse (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/63807-p1-brakes-squeal-when-put-on-in-reverse.html)

Mickle 08 January 2002 09:04 PM

Ok so I could tolerate it the first 2 weeks but reversing on my drive in a P1 that squeals like a pig! What the neighbours think I don't know!

Anyone got any thoughts on why the car would do this? Braking when the car is going forwards is fine, it's only when I brake lightly going backwards.

Thanks in advance for your input.

FLAT ERIC 08 January 2002 10:15 PM

Hi Mickle sorry to hear of your prob.
Had exact same thing on mine.Forwards no noise.Reverse on drive at low speed squeal.At first service had pads checked-nothing drastic found.Dealer de-glazed them anyway.Cured it for a couple of days,then came back.Guess its being too gentle on the old pedal,although the amount of dust on the anthracites would not point to this.Did not have this happen on previous 98 Turbo or present UK300.Disc spends 99% of its time going forwards so must bed to the pad in that direction.Bit like rubbing your shag-pile the wrong way,leads to carpet burns.
Very annoying but not harmfull.See if a couple of full ABS stops on an empty bit of road help.They might just reface the pads a bit.Cheaper than ear muffs for all your neighbours.

Mark

AndyMan 08 January 2002 10:15 PM

I get this on mine - worst on a slope and again only in reverse!

Had it in my MY99 as well, dealer couldn't do a thing.

It's always louder when the car's dirty - had it cleaned properly the other day and the noise doesn't seem to be there as much (perhaps I've just got used to it).

Be interested to see what anyone else has to say though.

Mickle 09 January 2002 09:28 AM

I've spoken to my dealer about this and he's going to get back to me but from the comments above I don't hold out much hope of getting this fixed. I'll keep you posted with the results.

AndyMan 10 January 2002 06:05 PM

Nice one :) Let me know!

I've rediscovered mine now - seems to sound worse than ever. Trying not to use the brakes in reverse!!!

Postman Pat 10 January 2002 07:22 PM

I had the same on my MY99. The dealer changed all my pads which of course didn't cure anything (steam out of ears job as pads are pricey). After a couple of months squeal went away and hasn't reoccured. I have a notion it may have been to do with the handbrake pads/shoes as the car was driven with handbrake half on by her indoors just before squeal started.

PaulMc 11 January 2002 09:57 AM

My P1 does the same and always has. In reverse, first a slight clunk from the pads and then squeel. Must admit not to have noticed over the last few weeks though. Maybe "they all do that sir".

Mickle 11 January 2002 10:12 AM

My dealer has come back to me now and says he will fix it on the warranty. Not sure how he's going to fix it, maybe I'd better ask. By the sounds of it, it's more common than I first thought.

Wouldn't it be funny if Subaru are suddenly swamped with squeely brakes! :D

AndyMan 11 January 2002 04:48 PM

Tell me how it goes - I'll get mine to do the same if it's any good!

Cheers

Andy

RPG7 11 January 2002 10:18 PM

Had the same problem with my '00 turbo.Just got STi7 and it's worse.Only in reverse.Very loud squeal.