ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   mountain bike question - how 2 shorten hose on hydr. brakes? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/637518-mountain-bike-question-how-2-shorten-hose-on-hydr-brakes.html)

NeilT 27 September 2007 04:17 PM

mountain bike question - how 2 shorten hose on hydr. brakes?

Can anyone enlighten me here....

bought some Shimano hydraulic disc brakes for my Kona Explosif and installed them, and all working fine.

But the length of the hydraulic hose leading to the rear calipers is about 9" too long (which is odd). I've tried various re-routes around the bikes frame, but none use up the slack, which is coiled at the front at present.

So, anyone any ideas if its possible to shorten this cable by cutting and re-attaching the adaptor, or I am better off just buying another hose, cut to fit and ready terminated with adaptors?

Odd that the hose is that long, after all I would have thought most bikes would use a similar length, so expected 3 or 4" or slack, not 9".

Neil

Matteeboy 27 September 2007 04:26 PM

I'm still getting my head round hydraulic disk brakes - My new Stumpy is the first I've had with them (Avid Juicy 5s) - All I know is that on most of them, the DOT fluid is REALLY nasty stuff.
I'm getting my LBS to service them!

Simon C 27 September 2007 04:53 PM

Their a realm unkown to me as well. I need to reset the pads back into normal position (1 pad rubs on the disc). Know how to do it on a car but not on a bike.

Discs weren't around when I was riding, now the new GT has hydro brakes.

Simon C 27 September 2007 04:54 PM

NeilT, dumb ass q, you didn't get the length for a full sus frame did ya?

Mogsi 27 September 2007 04:57 PM

Perfectly fine to cut the cable....

Park Tool Website

Parks website is the bible when it comes to home maintenance....

ChrisB 27 September 2007 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 7286531)
Their a realm unkown to me as well. I need to reset the pads back into normal position (1 pad rubs on the disc). Know how to do it on a car but not on a bike.

Discs weren't around when I was riding, now the new GT has hydro brakes.

What brand and model of discs? That's an easy task on something like a Shimano caliper.

I've never tried to shorten a hydraulic cable but have had a go at bleeding brakes recently. Bit of a learning curve but it's helped by Shimano using mineral oil so a litre of Citroen LHM stuff for £7 means you can get pretty of practise!

Simon C 27 September 2007 05:44 PM

Chris, mine has Tektro Auriga comp hydraulic disc.

NeilT 27 September 2007 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 7286584)
What brand and model of discs? That's an easy task on something like a Shimano caliper.

I've never tried to shorten a hydraulic cable but have had a go at bleeding brakes recently. Bit of a learning curve but it's helped by Shimano using mineral oil so a litre of Citroen LHM stuff for £7 means you can get pretty of practise!

Shimano XT brakes, calipera and discs. Tested them out this pm and almost went over the handlebars - amazing stopping power.

Will check out the parktools website

cheers

Neil