ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Wired or Wireless? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/635305-wired-or-wireless.html)

rossyboy 18 September 2007 11:29 AM

Wired or Wireless?

I'll try to keep brief!

Current situation is BT Home hub into Desktop PC. Plan is to buy a lap top in addition, to use in another room. All I really need the lap top for is Broadband browsing and you tube type media streaming.

I want the broadband on the lap top to be near enough as fast as that on the pc without interruption (I have no patience with slow computers) :).

Wired router (under the floor) is just as easy as wireless in our place, but it has concrete walls.

Which option is likely to be faster and more reliable?

DJ Dunk 18 September 2007 11:43 AM

Wired is always going to be more reliable. My PC and consoles are all hardwired, but the laptop is wireless and its still very, very stable . . . can't see the point having a laptop if its not portable :)

STi wanna Subaru 18 September 2007 11:53 AM

providing you can get a decent signal to the laptop wireless should be fine.

rossyboy 18 September 2007 11:53 AM

No room for a bulky pc in the room its going into and they're easier to dust. Plus I can always go wireless with it in future if I needed to :)

I suppose the main concern is the speed. Are wireless routers quicker than wired ones? If not, then wired is the better option at the moment.

DJ Dunk 18 September 2007 11:57 AM

Wireless will easily be faster than any current broadband offerings, so they'll be no problem coping with that.

If you want a PC and laptop to send data between each other faster then you're better off wired.

PeteBrant 18 September 2007 12:01 PM

Just to Echo what dunk said really - Wired for the ultimat ein reliability and speed, but Wireless should be fine for you requirements.

Just as an aside, I run Two PC's, a 360, a PS3, a PSP and a palm all of a wireless network with very little problem.

But then I am not doing very much in the way of data transfer between devices.

rossyboy 18 September 2007 12:03 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the quick responses.

ryn004 18 September 2007 01:28 PM

wired - my reliable, and secure.
wireless - more mobile and convinient.

I will personally go with wired in your case, you can never calculate the signal strenth until you actually buy the equipment and run it.

rossyboy 18 September 2007 03:12 PM

Thats what bothers me. I'm thinking a Netgear DG834G router/modem would be ideal as it has the wireless option aswell if I wanted to try that in future. Seems to have good reviews and its a good price.

STi wanna Subaru 18 September 2007 03:16 PM

I have that router and does the job great for my uses. PC in next room and 360 linked to it a couple of rooms away. Can cope with both being in use over the net. I will stream converted films from the PC to the 360 via the router and it handles that. I think there may be model up that offers a greater range which may be worth checking out as well.