ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   MK3 Golf VR6 (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/634984-mk3-golf-vr6.html)

RS Grant 16 September 2007 11:05 PM

MK3 Golf VR6

One of my friends is considering one of these and a car to have a bit of fun in, he wants reasonable poke/performance, good reliability and something which isnt going to depreciate like a stone.. as he's getting p/o'd with cars costing him lots of money in depreciation and running costs which is something I can relate to, although not to the same extent of recent.

I am aware that these cars are pretty soft as standard, but a lot of the ones around seem to already have that sorted out with a full suspension kit fitted as a replacement to standard stuff.

- Are there any areas that are 'known' to go in these cars that would need special checking on a viewing of a potential car??
- What are these like to live with day to day, reliable or a headache??
- Are there certain years or manufacture that are 'better' than others??
- What other alternatives are there out there??

Cheers,
Grant

VoteConservative! 16 September 2007 11:08 PM

Im not sure they fit the bill as a drivers car tbh. What is his budget?

RS Grant 16 September 2007 11:20 PM

Budget is around 2.5k give or take a few hundred quid depending on how keen he is on the car... I'd say absolute maximum is likely to be £3000.

I assumed that with a proper aftermarket suspension set-up the VR6 would give a pretty fun drive.. it isnt likely to ever be right up there with a big V6 up front though.

Cheers,
Grant

Dracoro 17 September 2007 10:05 AM

Spend more and get a Corrado VR6. About a gazillion times better than the Golf and, if in good condition and kept that way won't depreciate.

Either that or go for a MK2 16v. Also better than the golf VR6 and again, kept in good condition won't depreciate.

scoobberdoo 17 September 2007 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dracoro (Post 7258895)
Spend more and get a Corrado VR6. About a gazillion times better than the Golf and, if in good condition and kept that way won't depreciate.

Either that or go for a MK2 16v. Also better than the golf VR6 and again, kept in good condition won't depreciate.

Very good advice! Nuff said!

Tobisausage 17 September 2007 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by scoobberdoo (Post 7259192)
Very good advice! Nuff said!

It would be if they were'nt £5k for a decent one that does'nt have 100k+ miles on them. People are advertising them for stupid money and people seem to be buying them.

what would scooby do 17 September 2007 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tobisausage (Post 7259347)
It would be if they were'nt £5k for a decent one that does'nt have 100k+ miles on them. People are advertising them for stupid money and people seem to be buying them.

Maybe that proves how good they are then ?

VoteConservative! 17 September 2007 04:49 PM

For 2.5 grand Id buy a nissan 200sx S14a. Like the VW's reccomended above they are only going up in value :D

bpm1588 17 September 2007 06:50 PM

just be carefull with the earlier vr6's.they are know for having a porous head and will need head gasket and skimming work done.i had this problem on mine plus seen the same with a few others.cost me around 400 quid to sort 8 years ago.
saying that great cars! but go for the corrado,buy the right one and you'll never lose money on it plus it has better build quality

Tobisausage 18 September 2007 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 7259664)
Maybe that proves how good they are then ?

I never said they weren't but the original poster said he had £2.5k, so

Dracoro 18 September 2007 10:47 AM

That's why I suggested a MK2 16v Golf. Better than the MK3 VR6.

Tobisausage 18 September 2007 11:09 AM

Fight fight fight

PPP Wagon 18 September 2007 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dracoro (Post 7261547)
That's why I suggested a MK2 16v Golf. Better than the MK3 VR6.

Have to disagree mate!!! I kno Mk2's have got bagz of character n all that, but id much rather a clean mk3 VR6. Had a bit in/with both (mates cars) & i prefer the VR. In the end tho, its all down to personal opinion. :thumb:

pwhittle 19 September 2007 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by PPP Wagon (Post 7261630)
Have to disagree mate!!! I kno Mk2's have got bagz of character n all that, but id much rather a clean mk3 VR6. Had a bit in/with both (mates cars) & i prefer the VR. In the end tho, its all down to personal opinion. :thumb:

I prefer the mk3 16v, which isn't far off the VR6 in a straight line, and better in the bends. better value too, and VR6 engines can get v. expensive to fix

nickwrxstiV2 21 September 2007 03:34 PM

The VR6s have a weak plastic pipe at the back of the engine within the cooling system. A common upgrade is to an aftermarket alloy one.

Steve Whitehorn 21 September 2007 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by pwhittle (Post 7264255)
I prefer the mk3 16v, which isn't far off the VR6 in a straight line, and better in the bends. better value too, and VR6 engines can get v. expensive to fix

Owned all three of these
So ...The VR6 a good engine. Very quick off the mark. Too front heavy and as standard a very poor performance car as the rest of the set up - the brakes etc etc are not up to the job. If you can find one that has had money thrown at it in the right places - the suspension and brakes - then it might be worth it.
The Mk3 16v is the pick of bunch when it comes to the Mk3s.
But the good old Mk2 is the pick of the bunch. If you can find a really well looked after 8v. Then that is where the cheap, bullet proof fun is to be had.
A great drivers car. Better built than anything you will find on the road today. Classic status. And generaly cheap as chips to keep on the road.

So after owning and driving them all. The Mk2 gets my vote
Steve