ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   Clay bar kits? (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/634312-clay-bar-kits.html)

mozzaITA 13 September 2007 08:56 PM

Clay bar kits?

Hi guys,

After seeing a freinds car have the clay bar treatment using mcguiar was wondering if anybody else has done it to their Impreza?

andyt1981 13 September 2007 08:58 PM

i have it worked well but takes alot of time

mozzaITA 13 September 2007 09:47 PM

yeah i heard, how long? is it worth it?

andyt1981 13 September 2007 09:53 PM

it took me over 4 hours, it got rid of most slight blemishes and gives it a glass like finish

Flaps 13 September 2007 10:01 PM

I used that kit. Was great for getting rid of the flies! :D

AndyMoody 13 September 2007 10:36 PM

Me too, made the car as smooth as glass before a polish and coat of sealer. Took all day to do the lot but the results were well worth it. If you look in View my Scooby you'll see a few photos of the results. All done by hand and even made Polished Bliss runner up spot in monthly car cleaning comp. Get it done before the winter arrives.

wrxcraig 13 September 2007 11:09 PM

My results from clay bar, easy to use, can be abit time consuming but depends how bad the paintwork is.
also look in car care for more info.

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...r-results.html

Snazy 13 September 2007 11:14 PM

Awww come on it dont take THAT long ;)
Lots of patience, a couple of bars, a seat, and some nice soft cloths for buffing.

Have had some great results from using clay, moved over from Meguiars to Sonus Green clay. A bit tackier, so awkward to use for some.

Once the car is cleaned, just seal it properly and cleaning there after will be SO much easier :D

simscooby 14 September 2007 07:21 AM

You should go for it. I've clayed a few of my previous cars and have allways had excellent results. Despite what Snazy says I found it took me bloody ages to do:lol1: . But saying that I have a mate who used to valet for Porsche when he was a student. He can do a car in an hour and it looks mint. Practice makes perfect I guess.

[Davey] 14 September 2007 08:49 AM

Waste of money IMHO! As is all Meguiars stuff..

simscooby 14 September 2007 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by [Davey] (Post 7251497)

Meguiars don't make the only clay bar on the market :brickwall

and for the record, i agree with you, Meguiars is sh*t. I never buy there stuff.

Snazy 14 September 2007 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by [Davey] (Post 7251497)

Meguiars Claybar kit is excellent in fairness, for the money anyway. Great value for someone wanting to try claying, all in one box.

They glasss cleaner dilute, and final touch are also pretty good for me too :)

Tend to use a mish mash of different brands now, but they aint THAT bad, not imo.

simscooby 14 September 2007 09:15 AM

I'm an autoglym snob :lol1:

Snazy 14 September 2007 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by simscooby (Post 7251551)
I'm an autoglym snob :lol1:

Someone has to be mate. Im proud of you :P :notworthy

mozzaITA 14 September 2007 09:26 AM

Good results im gunna go for it for sure

renny 14 September 2007 09:35 AM

I've used the Megs quick clay on a few cars and have been impressed tbh.

Results vary and depend on how bad your car actually is.Always avoid doing it in the sun though or it can be hard work!

If you fancy trying it and you're new to the game,i would defo recommend Megs Quick clay as a good starting point.As has been said,you're car will feel sooooooo smooth and sealing / waxing will be a breeze afterwards.

The claying itself will only take an hour or so but the whole process of claying,cleansing,sealing etc takes me around 5-6 hrs.Should really be done twice a year as well if possible.

Mine is due to be done soon,i must admit to dreading doing the full shabang - constantly looking up at the sky to see whether i'm gonna be wasting my time !!

simscooby 14 September 2007 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 7251564)
Someone has to be mate. Im proud of you :P :notworthy

:thumb:

DJ_Jon 14 September 2007 10:35 AM

I use Poorboys clay & its superb, claying removes all the contaminates from your paint & makes polishing a whole lot easier, i do mine when I've washed it & use the rince water as lube. it takes me about 40 mins to clay my scoob properly

Matt_taylor 14 September 2007 01:02 PM

yeh takes me a good half hour, gotta get a new one as dropped it last time,

wash mine and use a meguires one, then seal it with autoglym resin polish shines bootifull!

swisstonihasher 14 September 2007 01:29 PM

Okay, pleb question but what is this clay stuff? Its not like a t cut is it?

iSCOOB 14 September 2007 03:02 PM

Its like putty, you run it across the surface with some lube and it grabs all the crap that wont come off by washing.

I used the megs clay on a couple of cars now and found it ok :thumb:

richardg 14 September 2007 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_taylor (Post 7252064)
yeh takes me a good half hour, gotta get a new one as dropped it last time,

wash mine and use a meguires one, then seal it with autoglym resin polish shines bootifull!

:eek: half an hour? took me 5hrs the first time (although i was being very picky and i do have very good eyesight)!! very pleased with the outcome though and used the meguiars clay bar a number of times over the last 3 years or so.

swisstonihasher 14 September 2007 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by iSCOOB (Post 7252347)
Its like putty, you run it across the surface with some lube and it grabs all the crap that wont come off by washing.

I used the megs clay on a couple of cars now and found it ok :thumb:

Thanks chap, never heard of it before now...;)

+Doc+ 14 September 2007 03:29 PM

Good stuff, probably gets off a little bit more than a fine cutting polish would (eg. Auto super resin) just keep her lubed and rub her all over. OOooer misses :D

matttp1 14 September 2007 04:29 PM

Think it took me a couple of hours easier to polish but kept dropping it and having to pick the stones out:brickwall that was the megs kit. How often does everyone do it or is it as and when:wonder:

renny 14 September 2007 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by matttp1 (Post 7252578)
Think it took me a couple of hours easier to polish but kept dropping it and having to pick the stones out:brickwall that was the megs kit. How often does everyone do it or is it as and when:wonder:

I do it twice a year.

Don't even think about using the clay again after dropping it mate,just throw it and use another bit.:nono:

You usually only have to use a third of a bar each time.

Cyberevo 14 September 2007 05:59 PM

So, is one bar better than another or are they all the same?

matttp1 14 September 2007 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by renny (Post 7252588)
I do it twice a year.

Don't even think about using the clay again after dropping it mate,just throw it and use another bit.:nono:

You usually only have to use a third of a bar each time.

I used full bar then threw it, it ll be due doin again, but ill know this time:)

cocker92 14 September 2007 10:07 PM

hi all, i use sonus green. cut into three bars. warm it up in warm water for about 5 minutes to make it a bit softer and i use meguiars last touch mixed 50/50 with water for the lube.
you get an excellent finish, then you can think about glazes,sealants and waxes for the perfect finish.

cocker92

Rich @ PB 21 September 2007 07:57 PM

There are many different types and grades of clay, but usage methods are always the same... and judging from some of the above comments a little help may be needed (clay should always be chucked if it is accidently dropped!). Some of you may be interested in this guide to clay and claying...

Polished Bliss - Car Care Advice - How to clean your paint in preparation for polishing or protection