ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   What Mods Before a Remap (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/632810-what-mods-before-a-remap.html)

L.J.F 06 September 2007 08:13 PM

What Mods Before a Remap

I will be booking my car in for a remap shortly and was wondering what mods i should get fitted first?:wonder: . At the moment the car is standard apart from cat back system and a green filter, i have a decat down pipe waiting to go on and im looking to get a up pipe aswell.

thanks for all advice:thumb:

cookstar 06 September 2007 09:01 PM

uprated fuel pump :)

Cocker 06 September 2007 09:07 PM

i would say full exhaust system with decat/sports cat, uprated filter and fuel pump and probably uprated plugs

bibo_boy 07 September 2007 07:30 AM

Bigger turbo!!!!!!! :)

L.J.F 07 September 2007 12:30 PM

i was planning on having the following fitted before it went for a remap-

up pipe
Decat system
walbro fuel pump
uprated headers

if i can afford to change the turbo, which one should i get, ive seen so many types? also what injectors should i look for?

cheers

Diesel_DC 07 September 2007 01:11 PM

Frayz has a turbo for sale that's good for up to 340 BHP as for injectors I'm not sure

trails 07 September 2007 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 7235280)
i was planning on having the following fitted before it went for a remap-

up pipe
Decat system
walbro fuel pump
uprated headers

if i can afford to change the turbo, which one should i get, ive seen so many types? also what injectors should i look for?

cheers

depends on the age of your car...MY99\00 had 440's prior to that they were 380 (except sti's). 440's with a decent fuel pressure regulator will be good to around 350. Frayz's VF would be fine but you will need to think about uprating your ic...especially if its a phase 1 engine.

Your list of stage 1 mods are sensible and will make a noticeable difference to how quick the car feels post remap. trubo, ic and injectors are really stage 2 so worth investigating as changing the turbo will fundamentally change the way the car feel to drive.

all the above imo of course :)

L.J.F 07 September 2007 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 7235437)
depends on the age of your car...MY99\00 had 440's prior to that they were 380 (except sti's). 440's with a decent fuel pressure regulator will be good to around 350. Frayz's VF would be fine but you will need to think about uprating your ic...especially if its a phase 1 engine.

Your list of stage 1 mods are sensible and will make a noticeable difference to how quick the car feels post remap. trubo, ic and injectors are really stage 2 so worth investigating as changing the turbo will fundamentally change the way the car feel to drive.

all the above imo of course :)

hi mate, thanks for letting me know about the injectors:thumb: i did not know that they were capable upto 340-350bhp. As for the intercooler, i dont want to get front mounted as i personally think it ruins the look of the car!! is there a top mount that would be up to the job??

cookstar 07 September 2007 03:21 PM

you can have existing injectors modified now rather than changing them iirc:)

frayz 07 September 2007 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 7235502)
hi mate, thanks for letting me know about the injectors:thumb: i did not know that they were capable upto 340-350bhp. As for the intercooler, i dont want to get front mounted as i personally think it ruins the look of the car!! is there a top mount that would be up to the job??

Trails advise is very good mate.

The best aftermarket topmount for a classic is the sti OEM from a V7 onwards. These are a very very efficient bit of kit and would make a huge difference in performance when coupled with the other mods listed.

Yes cookie, newage injectors can be modded, mine are modded by Lateral performance and flow just over 800cc.

trails 07 September 2007 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 7235756)
Trails advise is very good mate.

The best aftermarket topmount for a classic is the sti OEM from a V7 onwards. These are a very very efficient bit of kit and would make a huge difference in performance when coupled with the other mods listed.

Yes cookie, newage injectors can be modded, mine are modded by Lateral performance and flow just over 800cc.

cheers Frayz.

MY01 onwards top mount was what i was going to suggest anyways :thumb:

cookstar 07 September 2007 06:15 PM

Assuming this is for a classic, the STI top mounts are a lot harder to make fit than the WRX ones, not sure what the newage WRX top mounts are rated to, but could still be an option. Also they are virtually give away prices.

frayz 07 September 2007 10:22 PM

The gains of running the newage STI topmount far outweigh the little bit of aggro getting it to fit.

If it was purchased direct from Subaru id imagine they would be a fair few pennies, but S/H for a shave over £175 for a grubby one or £250 for a minter.

Where else can you get that "pound vs poke" performance gain??

cookstar 08 September 2007 04:19 AM

What BHP do the WRX top mounts max out at, just out of interest :)

frayz 08 September 2007 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 7236982)
What BHP do the WRX top mounts max out at, just out of interest :)

Depends on the turbo mate and how hard its being asked to work.