ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   2005 WRX Knocking from rear (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/632749-2005-wrx-knocking-from-rear.html)

dibblewrx 06 September 2007 03:36 PM

2005 WRX Knocking from rear

Hiya

For a while i've had a knocking on the rear drivers side of the car, more noticeable at slow speeds, initially i just put it down to something in teh boot, however, today I investigated a bit further, emptied the boot and when i put my weight on teh rear of teh car the clunk is there:wonder: .

There would appear to be more damping on the passenger side than the drivers side (when pushing up and donw on the rear wing):confused: .

The drivers side seems more like its up or down and no happy medium, and each time you push up or down there's a knock:confused:wonder: .

Initial thoughts are a new rear shocker, would anyone else think this is the case?

And, any ideas where to get reasonable priced new one - dont really want to uprate as I dont want the car to be too harsh.

richs2891 06 September 2007 05:28 PM

Well it will still be under warrenty - most likely the rear shock- common on the car. Take it to a delaer should be able to sort you out fairly quick
Already had the rear passenger one done on mine but looking like the drivers is going as well ! MY05 by the way !!

Richard

scotthldr 06 September 2007 06:35 PM

Yip, had both my rear struts replaced earlier this year. The dealership picked it up during 20000mile service, said there was too much play in them, changed them under warranty with no questions. Yes mine is a 05WRX as well.

Arch 07 September 2007 11:12 AM

And me 05WRX both replaced after 12000 miles :eek2:

dibblewrx 07 September 2007 12:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, you reckon its a fault with this model then?

Will get onto the dealer and have them take a look!

Cheers

SKS 07 September 2007 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by dibblewrx
Thanks for the feedback guys, you reckon its a fault with this model then?

Very well known and documented fault with them - do a quick search on here and you'll see how common a problem!! Dealers are well aware of it too and from the numerous posts, most of us get them changed no hassle at all :thumb:.

Had both of mine changed at the 20K service too. N/S had been knocking like a b4$tard since about 18K but my dealer tested both and found 35mm :freak3: of play in the N/S and 15mm of play in the O/S.
SKS left with 2 new shockers, no noise and a :D . Car felt a lot tighter too so I guess the play must have been gently creeping in for a while and slackening the handling a bit.
Problem is, a mere 10 weeks later, the N/S is away again and I'm developing a headache :mad: !
Spoken to the dealer who's been great about it so in for another one when work eases off in about a month.

Cheers,

Stewart.