ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Interior (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/)
-   -   Replace classic Dash Bulbs with LEDS (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/632492-replace-classic-dash-bulbs-with-leds.html)

anthonyreading 05 September 2007 02:18 PM

Replace classic Dash Bulbs with LEDS

I really want to change the bulbs in my classic with LEDs

ive been on Ultra Bright Leds and Led products at bargain prices with super fast delivery - by Ultra Leds U.K and actually brought the leds i thought i needed but they were the wrong ones

has anyone else brought the LEDs of this site?

if so can you tell me the ones to buy?

i want to replace the bulbs in the clock, the bulbs behind the heating controls and if its possible the interior ceiling bulbs

looking to do a combination of red and blue on the clocks

blue on the heating and blue on the ceiling lights.....

might just paint the ceiling ones, thinking about it.....

oh and ive seen LED side lights, has anyone installed these on thier classic

well would appriciate any help

all the best

Ant

mickywrx 06 September 2007 06:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I did my dash and heater controls with LED's from Ebay, the set I bought; LED Bulbs

Fitted pic;
Attachment 49746

Makes a big difference IMO. Not that hard to fit either. Only pain in the tits, is that the bulbs have to be in the holder the correct way round or they won't light up, to do with polarity or something like that.

Got PIAA 7500K LED sidelight bulbs fitted too, look canny in the dark, but not really noticeable during the day. A doddle to fit, take old bulb out, put LED in, same thing as above though, they have to be in the holder the correct way for them to light up.

Pic;
Attachment 49747

Got HID's fitted too :D

anthonyreading 07 September 2007 09:48 AM

Mate that looks the nuts, especially behinde the heater controlls

loving the side lights as well :norty:

thanks for that link as well, will be getting a set asap

:)

ta mate

dazzlers82 10 September 2007 01:24 AM

them leds look great gonna order some of them now as i hate green:thumb:

GazJenno 10 September 2007 02:27 PM

How many is needed to do all the dash ones and all the heater control ones?

Gaz

barry wemyss 10 September 2007 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by GazJenno (Post 7241390)
How many is needed to do all the dash ones and all the heater control ones?

Gaz

i think ten

mickywrx 10 September 2007 07:25 PM

I forget exactly how many. You get enough in the set I got from Ebay to do it though.

3 for the heater controls and '?' for the speedo etc. The company I got mine from state that there's no need to change the warning light bulbs as they are bright enough, which is true.

Should have taken photo's when I was changing them really and done a write up. :Whatever_ :D

GazJenno 10 September 2007 08:15 PM

Just orderd some from the people you suggested so will see how it goes... been wanting to get some red ones for ages.

Cheers,
Gaz

mickywrx 10 September 2007 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by GazJenno (Post 7242370)
Just orderd some from the people you suggested so will see how it goes... been wanting to get some red ones for ages.

Cheers,
Gaz

Heater panel is a doddle, the LED's slot into little holders supplied, which fit the same way as you remove the standard bulbs. If they dont light up, turn the LED bulb around and all should be fine and dandy.

Dash bulbs fit into the standard bulb holders, just its more hassel as you have to plug all three connectors back into the clocks to check the bulbs are lit, which means you've pretty much re-installed them, just to take the clocks back out.

I'm sure you'll manage fine though, it's nice being able to see the fuel gauge in the dark ;) :D

mickywrx 10 September 2007 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found a pic of the back of classic clocks, courtesy of a post by Harvey.

Attachment 49748

I know I replaced the bulbs in the brown bulb holders, as they illuminate the clocks, and I may have/might have been enough to replace the bulbs in the 2 larger black bulb holders. I really can't remember. I didn't replace any of the small bulbs in the back of the clocks though, I know that for sure.

chris_c201 13 September 2007 01:38 PM

Has anyone changed the bulbs in the lamco guages ? Want to change the bulbs behind speedo but i have the triple guage pod (oil press, oil temp and volt) and would only do it if i could have them all matching......

dazzlers82 14 September 2007 11:41 PM

mickwrx what bulbs did you get to go in the heater controls as mine are different to the dash ones so the ones i bought for ebay were only good for dash not heater controls?

mickywrx 15 September 2007 09:14 AM

The heater control bulbs were supplied in the kit from Ebay. You should have got them. :wonder:

Smaller led's than the dash ones, with separate fitting for fitting into the heater panel.

I'll get a pic later.

dazzlers82 15 September 2007 08:52 PM

not receive them :wonder:

anthonyreading 16 September 2007 01:44 AM

I have ordered the LED sidelights, dash kit, map lights and center room light all in blue :)

god i cant wait to get it all in, should arrive next week

LOL

love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scooby_666 16 September 2007 02:36 PM

Hi, i have a 2000 turbo and my clocks are white! just wondered if i were to buy these leds for my clocks would the whole clock light up blue or would it be just the numbers?:wonder: im pretty sure the whole of the clocks light up green with the original bulbs in at the mo. Thanks

mickywrx 16 September 2007 04:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Standard heater bulb;
Attachment 49750

LED replacement, blurry pic but you'll get the idea;
Attachment 49751

Fitted;
Attachment 49752

Hope that helps :thumb:

dazzlers82 16 September 2007 05:24 PM

i did not receive them only ten big ones for the dash lights ive sent them a message asking about it thanks for pics:thumb:

dazzlers82 16 September 2007 08:41 PM

received a message from these people today an there willing to exchange the ones i did not receive very helpful people :thumb:

barry wemyss 16 September 2007 09:14 PM

nice one mind put up pictures

dazzlers82 16 September 2007 09:21 PM

ill get some pics when the other bulbs turn up:thumb:

mickywrx 16 September 2007 09:34 PM

Good to hear :thumb:

Seen your car in this months JP ;) :D

dazzlers82 16 September 2007 09:42 PM

ye thats mine shame about the pics not that good gonna have car detailed fri an try get some with the flake out:thumb:

CupraDave 03 October 2007 03:30 PM

I am looking out for some later STi clocks that light up red but I cant find any so in the mean time I got some of the dash LEDs from ebay and I have fitted them over the past week or so.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...e/DSC_0053.jpg

I used my Nikon D50 to take the shots, which had a very long exposure on it to get these pics, the LEDs are no where near as bright as that in real life.
The clocks are so dark I cant see how fast I am going, all I can see are the needles.

Not all the bulbs I required were in the kit so I had to buy more from the fella to try and finish it off. Even after that 2 of the ones for the heater controls are the wrong size.

I have been back in touch with the chap who told me he has different ones I could try in the clocks but the ones he is talkin about are something like a fiver each and there are 4 in the back of the clocks, meaning it will cost me more for them than it did for the original kit and the extra LEDs put together.

by the way they are not neons in the footwells (dont go for those kind of things), they are the original small footwell lights (normally green) with the bulbs replaced with the little red LEDs

94legturbo 14 November 2007 10:51 PM

Do classics have a dimmer for the dash lights?

on my legacy, you can vary the brightness of the clocks etc by fading it in and out.

does anybody know if you can fade LED's or if they are just on/off??

cheers

drive 29 November 2007 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 7257099)
Standard heater bulb;
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...16bulb0006.jpg

LED replacement, blurry pic but you'll get the idea;
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...16bulb0004.jpg

Fitted;
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...16bulb0003.jpg

Hope that helps :thumb:

hi all that fitting you have taken a photo of (top one) is the same bulb thats in the classic fog light for the illumination yes they do light up (lol) i bought a bulb from maplins see post
fog light switch ilumination not working(easier if i put link here)then get to maplins get one of these
Maplin > Coloured Subminiature Bulbs
get switch out of car,simply pull wires from bottom of bulb holder(remembering where they go)then pull out bulb,replace with new bulb route wires then cut to size.....
good luck
ceri

p.s. a damn site cheaper at 59 p per bulb p.s. these are for the heater control illumination panel,these are the type of capless bulbs needed for the dashboard illumination Maplin > Wedge Base Capless Type as far as im aware they only come in two sizes

good luck again ceri

drive 29 November 2007 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 94legturbo (Post 7411325)
Do classics have a dimmer for the dash lights?

on my legacy, you can vary the brightness of the clocks etc by fading it in and out.

does anybody know if you can fade LED's or if they are just on/off??

cheers

no they dont have a dimmers switch

as for the dimming of led's i cant see why not as all your doing is giving them less voltage....
ceri

mickywrx 29 November 2007 06:43 PM

First link, expected lifetime of the bulbs is only 3000 hours

Second link, expected lifetime of the is even worse at 1000 hours.

So a bit cheap crap then. :lol1: ;)

mickywrx 29 November 2007 06:46 PM

Plus, when you work out how many bulbs are actually needed, it makes more sense to but the ebay kit that I did. And not much more expensive than Maplins. :thumb:

drive 30 November 2007 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 7448024)
First link, expected lifetime of the bulbs is only 3000 hours

Second link, expected lifetime of the is even worse at 1000 hours.

So a bit cheap crap then. :lol1: ;)

do you only use yours at night then????:lol1:
p.s. a damn site cheaper at 59 p per bulb p.s. these are for the heater control illumination panel,these are the type of capless bulbs needed for the dashboard illumination Maplin > Wedge Base Capless Type as far as im aware they only come in two sizes.
these are the type of capless bulbs needed for the dashboard illumiation.......

sorry m8 it was just an idea and a guidline may be some people dont have an ebay or paypal account:) i know i dont....
these you mean is it
TRUECOLOR LED DASH KIT SUBARU IMPREZA STI WRX FORESTER on eBay, also Lighting Customisation, Lights Lighting Accessories, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 18-Dec-07 00:11:07 GMT)

ceri