ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tube strike (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/632299-tube-strike.html)

petey 04 September 2007 01:32 PM

Tube strike

i had a 4 mile walk today! anyone have any long waits?

Scooby Roo 04 September 2007 01:38 PM

No bus.

I got the bus from Waterloo, they changed drivers which took 15 minutes :eek: as the new one didn't know the route.....got to work eventually.

pslewis 04 September 2007 01:39 PM

Boris will sort them out when he gets voted as Mayor :lol1:

SwissTony 04 September 2007 01:41 PM

2 fookin hours by car :mad:

pete, leave it sonny :mad:

T4molie 04 September 2007 01:47 PM

Usually work in Golden Square but decided I'll drive for 2 hours and work in NW10 instead (at my expense). :mad:

Spoke to someone I work with and he said he ended up having to walk from Kings X to GSQ (approx 45 mins), which is what I would have had to have done...... only it would have probably taken me about 2 hours cos I'm rubbish at walking around London :freak3:

Still.. got to drive the scoob tho :thumb: It's great having all that power and not being able to use it on the M1 :D

stevem2k 04 September 2007 01:48 PM

I walked from waterloo to clerkenwell. Bus queue was a frigging joke.

and I nearly got caught on the east london line last night when the stopped running at 5:15 ...

I have negative sympathy for this strike. Sack the fookers....

T4molie 04 September 2007 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by stevem2k (Post 7228383)
Bus queue was a frigging joke.

Tube strike = really really long bus queues and no available taxis :(

Why are they NEVER happy!?!?!?

Snazy 04 September 2007 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7228364)
Boris will sort them out when he gets voted as Mayor :lol1:

Finally realised you dont know what your talking about and joined the Vote Boris campaign, well done ;)

Tube strike just makes my life a pain really, slows the traffic down even more, which makes logistics even harder.

London seems to be getting used to it now, with lots of companies giving days off etc. Sorry some have suffered though.

kingofturds 04 September 2007 02:07 PM

Move to swindon, much nicer;) 10 years of working in London took its toll on my brother. He ended up taking a £9k a year pay cut and moved to swindon and has never been happier.
He know spends his evenings playing with his kids as opposed to crammed into a train for a 2 hour journey home every day

sbk1972 04 September 2007 02:17 PM

I worked in the city for 7 years. 5 years I lived in Westminster so the tube ride was only 10 mins. Last 2 years I travelled up from Worthing everyday.

However, 5 years of vodka and cranberry @ Pitcher Paino on Liverpool St, eating Bengj's food and chatting up Essex birds dressed in expensive suits, I became a right alcholic, bagel eating, slag hunter ! :-) Mon - Fri was work all day, drink all night, whether in the Square mile, or over to Soho.

So, made the move down to the south coast, now I lead a more relaxed life, paddling in the sea later at night with my dog, no more train journeys, happy days. Left the city, and now contract around Sussex / Surrey and am in Guildford.

Nothing beats driving your car to work, your own space, your own seat, good tunes. Train become a metal worm, filled with sweating pigs, with BO !

Money wise, mmmm same same, if not more.

SBK

RoShamBo 04 September 2007 02:21 PM

Couldn't agree more.

I spend 4 hours commuting every day (Surrey to London) - each way its a walk to the bus stop, bus to train station, then train to London & then 2 tubes.
Crammed in, never get a seat - horrid just horrid.

Would gladly (& will) take a pay cut to work closer to home. Get home at 8-8.30pm if I leave on the dot and the kids have eaten and are getting ready for bed. I get them all excited when the misses is trying to calm them down for bed (which doesnt go down well)

This week I TOLD my boss I am working from home all week - no way I am turning an already horrid commute into a nighmare from hell.

Snazy 04 September 2007 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by sbk1972 (Post 7228448)

Nothing beats driving your car to work, your own space, your own seat, good tunes. Train become a metal worm, filled with sweating pigs, with BO !

SBK

Agree entirely. And after all its "our right" to choice and not be harrased or forced to give up our choice or our own personal space.

Car for me every time.

fatherpierre 04 September 2007 02:28 PM

I can get from my front door and into work in C London in 40 mins. Quite lucky considering I live 35 miles from where I work.

Thank fook I don't need to use the tube.

I can't believe the union has so much sway on such an important service.

T4molie 04 September 2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7228459)
I can't believe the union has so much sway on such an important service.

Agreed. I find it amazing that if someone says the tiniest (sp?) of things wrong and they all throw their toys well and truly out of the pram... somebody get's the sack for watching a portable tv while driving a train :freak3: let's strike :thumb:

pslewis 04 September 2007 08:40 PM

WHY do people work in LONDON??

Sorry, it's your own fault!

Here I am in leafy Hampshire, 1.2 miles from my front door to my office front door, a traffic jam here is a cow and horse crossing the road.

Work Flexi-Time, so, wander in anytime up to 10am - lunch 12-2pm - leave work anytime up to 6:30pm ........ home in 4 minutes :D

Home from work every lunchtime, walk the dog over the fields 20 steps from my door ...... indoor swimming pool and health suite 90 seconds walk away.

Relax people, get out of London - money is nothing without quality time .....

pslewis 04 September 2007 08:50 PM

A Tube Driver is only earning £35,000 a year - which is a disgrace for a job in London ............ so, you must have some sympathy with them?

Simon 69 04 September 2007 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by sbk1972

However, 5 years of vodka and cranberry @ Pitcher Paino on Liverpool St, eating Bengj's food and chatting up Essex birds dressed in expensive suits, I became a right alcholic, bagel eating, slag hunter !

SBK

You dismiss this as though it were a bad thing.....

GaryCat 04 September 2007 10:23 PM

http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/medic/fitn...nderground.mp3

pslewis 05 September 2007 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by GaryCat (Post 7229548)

Very Good :thumb:

victorial 05 September 2007 09:33 AM

YouTube - london underground

:freak3: :D