ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   A quote that sums up the styling of the new 2008 Impreza WRX (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/631731-a-quote-that-sums-up-the-styling-of-the-new-2008-impreza-wrx.html)

drtchock 01 September 2007 09:15 PM

A quote that sums up the styling of the new 2008 Impreza WRX

'What 8 year old kid is gonna turn to his dad and go "look daddy a rally car!" when they see this?'

got that from a comment on you tube.. its very true though.. it wasnt just the special STI's that looked like the rally cars in the past.. my dad got a turbo 2000 estate when i was 13, and kids still stopped and pointed at it!

frayz 01 September 2007 09:46 PM

Dont worry fella you will warm to it. There are a few tuned WRX's in the US that i have to admit look really cool.

I think the STI will be an awesome bit of kit... In time, kids will still point, cos they wont know any different :D

Rob_Impreza99 01 September 2007 09:58 PM

5 yr old son to his dad when he first see`s the new 2008 Impreza.

"Dad, Dad, haha you seen that dad. Were they p1ssed when they designed that dad ?"

frayz 01 September 2007 10:07 PM

I think this looks hot, i know the STI will look even better.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1444/p8230042jq5.jpg

Marky9074 01 September 2007 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 7223297)

Yer, that looks pretty good Frayz

chocolate_o_brian 01 September 2007 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Marky9074 (Post 7223344)
Yer, that looks pretty good Frayz

no it dont, it looks ****:mad:

frayz 01 September 2007 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 7223367)
no it dont, it looks ****:mad:

I think all the guys that hate it are trying to compare it to the older models and are so disappointed by its looks... i agree, theres little thats as iconic as the classic shape impreza.

BUT!!

If you look deeper than that and actually think about what Subaru have done here.
Most manufacturers design a road car and then take it to the rally stages... here Subaru have designed a rally platform, ie shorter, lighter, hatch to compete with the likes of Citroen, Skoda etc and have then put it on the road.

Give it a year guys... and im sure alot will warm to it, just like the bugeye, blob eye and hawkeye and now the 08 hatch.

There will always be people that dislike it but i genuinely belive this is the start of some great stuff from Subaru.

chocolate_o_brian 01 September 2007 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 7223402)
I think all the guys that hate it are trying to compare it to the older models and are so disappointed by its looks... i agree, theres little thats as iconic as the classic shape impreza.

BUT!!

If you look deeper than that and actually think about what Subaru have done here.
Most manufacturers design a road car and then take it to the rally stages... here Subaru have designed a rally platform, ie shorter, lighter, hatch to compete with the likes of Citroen, Skoda etc and have then put it on the road.

Give it a year guys... and im sure alot will warm to it, just like the bugeye, blob eye and hawkeye and now the 08 hatch.

There will always be people that dislike it but i genuinely belive this is the start of some great stuff from Subaru.

sorry, just cant see it. deep inside it may have the chassis of a future rally winning car, but the market its clearly aimed for wont even know what 4th gear is, never mind a rally.

needs...
  • bigger foggies
  • daft spoiler
  • refined vulgar evil headlights
  • lumpier scoop
  • no window surrounds (very kia-esque)
the point im making here is most people on the roads buy a car because it looks nice. this doesnt, for the old market of subaru owner. its lines and design suggest a 40+ owner now. its just not fun looking or "stand out" as before.

could have the suspension and handling set up of a godd, tweak a metro enough and it will too. it still looks sh!te.:mad: :(

danfranklin1 01 September 2007 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 7223402)

Yes Frayz, but it still is what I like to call a 'Margaret Thatcher Challenge Wank'.

Still trying to see its charms. Failing.

chocolate_o_brian 01 September 2007 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by danfranklin1 (Post 7223416)
Yes Frayz, but it still is what I like to call a 'Margaret Thatcher Challenge Wank'.

exactly. you look at my classic for instance. doesnt have huge wheels, or is lowered on coilovers, big daft spoiler etc. but.... BUT.... it has a "presence", something this failier will not have, unless the sti is a drastic overhaul of this shambles of a car:mad: :mad:

frayz 01 September 2007 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by danfranklin1 (Post 7223416)

I bet the old maggie thatcher has kept you just off the vinegar stroke for years though Dan..

If only your girlfriend knew why you managed to last so long ha ha :thumb:

MikeyTang 01 September 2007 11:48 PM

I wonder if ppls perceptions will change if the new model starts winning championships.

Cant really say i'm a fan of the standard but after seeing the rally car i'm sure the STI is gonna be gr8

frayz 01 September 2007 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyTang (Post 7223482)
I wonder if ppls perceptions will change if the new model starts winning championships.

Cant really say i'm a fan of the standard but after seeing the rally car i'm sure the STI is gonna be gr8

Of course they will mate... :thumb:

Snazy 02 September 2007 12:00 AM

Got to admit, I think I like that!!
White certainly suits it!

frayz 02 September 2007 12:03 AM

Heres the blue one from PDX tuning.

http://www.pdxtuning.com/images/08_wrx/DSC_1173.jpg
http://www.pdxtuning.com/images/08_wrx/DSC_1172.jpg
http://www.pdxtuning.com/images/08_wrx/DSC_1175.jpg
http://www.pdxtuning.com/images/08_wrx/DSC_1180.jpg

Snazy 02 September 2007 12:05 AM

See for some reason that dont look right. Could be angle, could be colour, but the white is more appealing.
lil wheels too :) lol

MikeyTang 02 September 2007 12:09 AM

Needs a wing of some description

ilogikal1 02 September 2007 12:20 AM

I don't think it's a bad looking car... it's just a bad looking Impreza, IMO. As someone mentioned, it just doesn't have the presence.

That said, I'm sure it will grow on a few people. Some will still hate it though.

Marky9074 02 September 2007 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 7223509)
See for some reason that dont look right. Could be angle, could be colour, but the white is more appealing.
lil wheels too :) lol

Agreed, that looks fugly. The white does look kinda good. Echo everything Frayz said. The classic was very very bland when it first appeared, people seem to forget that....

Marky9074 02 September 2007 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 7223414)
the point im making here is most people on the roads buy a car because it looks nice.

I thought people bought cars for what they drove like.....aesthetics are definately second on the list of requirements for me!

Marky9074 02 September 2007 12:38 AM

I wonder what wheels they are?

automodellistagt 02 September 2007 01:10 AM

[quote=frayz;7223402]

[quote]

hahahahhaha keep telling yourself that.

besides i thought the new one was the same length as the old one, but with a longer track?

anyways, i would only ever consider one if it looked like the wrc proto because to be honest the only car that looks worse is that skoda with the advert where the robots are making noises when making it, and then only just. If that picture was a golf we'd all be rolling around in fits of laughter rather then some of us defending the brand to the death.

chocolate_o_brian 02 September 2007 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Marky9074 (Post 7223547)
I thought people bought cars for what they drove like.....aesthetics are definately second on the list of requirements for me!

like i said, most people. what you rather buy...

a pink car that drove brilliantly
same car in red that drove about 50% as well

extremes i know, but the point im trying to make.

horrible, horrible looking car, in any guise. i also refuse to believe that scoobs were bland looking when they appeared in 93/94 over here. maybe if they did, the sharper lines of the 96 facelift did it better. a facelift wont do this any good. shooting the designers wont either, but it will stop them moving to kia next year:(

T5NYW 02 September 2007 01:46 AM

"Everyone moaned about the Newage models, hoping they will make a classic again" ............it was just never going to happen.

Sorry but the classic is dated, good looking maybe, but still very dated now.

My dads Vauhall Wyvern looked great many years ago, but would I want one now :rolleyes: of course not time to move on.

Tony

jiffthejiffmanjaffa 02 September 2007 01:48 AM

What have they done??????!!!!!!! It looks like a Civic!!!!!! Not impressed at all!!!:razz: :mad: :cry:

scoobynewbie72 02 September 2007 08:35 AM

It looks like a Daiwoo(chevrolet), it just looks like a common hatch that they couldnt be bothered to try with,
It will have to be a very very serious wolf in sheeps clothing to temp a lot away from some of the other cars out there.

Mikkel 02 September 2007 10:34 AM

I have to admit it has grown on me. The front looks ok but the back, and particularly those lights, are ugly.

Marky9074 02 September 2007 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 7223586)
like i said, most people. what you rather buy...

a pink car that drove brilliantly
same car in red that drove about 50% as well

extremes i know, but the point im trying to make.

horrible, horrible looking car, in any guise. i also refuse to believe that scoobs were bland looking when they appeared in 93/94 over here. maybe if they did, the sharper lines of the 96 facelift did it better. a facelift wont do this any good. shooting the designers wont either, but it will stop them moving to kia next year:(

I wouldnt buy a pink or red car, and you're preaching to the converted....have you seen what I drive... ;)

In fact I would actually consider Impreza ownership again.....the people that have managed to bring down the marque in the last few years, would never consider buying the new model. And everyone else on the road would not know what it was......exactly the same as it was ten years ago......a classic

SC008Y_MAD 02 September 2007 10:50 AM

What those yanks have do to the new 2008 Impreza is nothing short of special. All they have done is change the alloys for bigger better styled ones, lower it, put a front lip on and tint the rear tail lights, nothing special...its still the mazda 3 of a car. Where as the previous models always looked like an Impreza with rallying in its DNA.

Age 02 September 2007 12:31 PM

Looks like a Mazda3 to me....
https://img507.imageshack.us/img507/...azdawrxvn3.gif