ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Security (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/)
-   -   How do I record 8hrs+ cctv..? (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/631559-how-do-i-record-8hrs-cctv.html)

jasonius 31 August 2007 10:35 PM

How do I record 8hrs+ cctv..?

What's the cheapest/easiest way to record ~8-10hrs cctv, can be recorded over each night as I'd only require it should something happen that night IYSWIM..?

I know looped VCR tapes used to be the thing, but is still a viable option or have things moved on with digital storage etc..?

Cheers, J;)

gingerflyer 01 September 2007 09:19 AM

DIGITAL, lots here,

Maplin > DVR4-Alert™ 4-Channel Digital Video Recorder

jasonius 01 September 2007 10:12 AM

Cheers ginge..;)

Snazy 01 September 2007 04:54 PM

Is this similar but cheaper.
Didnt realise how cheap it was to set a system up

Maplin > Compact 4-Channel Digital Video Recorder (DVR)

help2003 02 September 2007 10:07 PM

Yep that what i use DVR card i got from ebay last year for 1p, and got a wireless night cam, Just running from my pc, starts recording at 11.45pm till 7am, each night is only 130mb, so i keep a weeks worth, works really well, and i have installed a small 120w floodlight, so no f**ker is getting near it

paulcornwall 07 September 2007 10:02 PM

Just a word of caution, i bought a dvr setup from Argos and it was absolutely useless, the auto record was so slow the image or scum was out of the picture by the time it recorded. Also the IR lights on ebay from China are an absolute death trap, tried 2 of them and both started smoking after 1 hours use. I would be interested to hear your setup's especially if using IR light.

matttp1 08 September 2007 01:10 PM

recording

I've got two micromark PIR cameras get them from any B and Q linked to dvd recorder/80gig harddrive about 130 from asda. Can record up to twenty four hours plus if anyone goes past it bleeps and records from that camera for ten seconds;)

StickyMicky 08 September 2007 08:58 PM

i have been through quite a bit of cctv stuff for work

i now run 2 x 4 channel wave-p cards (around £40 each) linked together to give me an 8 channel system

very low resources and hd space useage

what i have also bought is
1 x 4 channel wave-p card (older model not compatible with the new ones (and i needed 8 channels not 4)
1 x 8 channel "real time" dvr card from ebay for around £40/50 = these tend to be pirate cards with ripped off kodicom software, not compatible with some chipsets (ie mine :rolleyes:)

2 x 4 channel budget cards from ebay for around £10 each, these came with the pico2000 software, again, probably pirate cards/software and compleatly ****e IMO maximum cpu usage and crap frame rates when trying to view and record 4 cams at the same time, complete waste of space, probably only really any good for 1 cam at a time IMO

my thoughts = avoind ebay unless you know what you are looking for, the techwell chips are the ones to try and track down.

i think my work system has around 400gig space (dedicated pc i built up from old spare parts) and i get around 1 months recording with 8 cameras at the moment :D

paulcornwall 08 September 2007 10:33 PM

Can anyone recommend a online store for a dvr card?, do i need a quad or will the software do this?

StickyMicky 09 September 2007 09:37 AM

cards usually come with 4 inputs.

i can recommend this type, these are the ones i have running my cctv at work

CCTV 4CH 50fps DVR CARD Latest 10 bit ADC's UK on eBay, CCTV Security Cameras, Security Equipment, Consumer Electronics (item 140150331275 end time 20-Sep-07 22:03:16 BST)

yes you can get cheaper, but these ones are not copy/pirate versions and the software is far superior (and is regulary updated).

i am sitting at home now, logged in and watching my staff at work :D

paulcornwall 09 September 2007 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 7238678)
cards usually come with 4 inputs.

i can recommend this type, these are the ones i have running my cctv at work

CCTV 4CH 50fps DVR CARD Latest 10 bit ADC's UK on eBay, CCTV Security Cameras, Security Equipment, Consumer Electronics (item 140150331275 end time 20-Sep-07 22:03:16 BST)

yes you can get cheaper, but these ones are not copy/pirate versions and the software is far superior (and is regulary updated).

i am sitting at home now, logged in and watching my staff at work :D

Mick it seems good but a couple of questions, the cards are rated at different FPS are all these models "REAL TIME" i.e not juddering images?,
Also what camera's are you using?
thanks Paul.

StickyMicky 09 September 2007 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by paulcornwall (Post 7239192)
Mick it seems good but a couple of questions, the cards are rated at different FPS are all these models "REAL TIME" i.e not juddering images?,
Also what camera's are you using?
thanks Paul.

around 25fps would give a "real time" image, but you would need around 25 per camera, most cards share them out if you use more then one camera.

i use a variety of cameras from proper mounted outside proifessional jobbies to some cheap ebay versions for the indoors work

any outdoor cameras need to have a bit of cash spent on them IMO, cheap cams will not work properlly outside, to dark when its dark and to "white" when its sunny :D

paulcornwall 09 September 2007 07:18 PM

Cheers Mick, that info was very helpful. Funny enough the link you placed above is to a trader just 30 mins drive away, so might pop in for a look.

help2003 10 September 2007 02:50 PM

Here is mine live now, just took a snap shot of the wifes MG, the cam works alot better in the dark,

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...lp2003/cam.jpg

Ghetto Dude3 11 September 2007 02:59 PM

you can view mine in real time here :)

www.washcam.gotdns.org

username : guest
password : view

edit : arghh this is sticky, fooken boy has left himself logged in at work AGAIN :mad:

paulcornwall 11 September 2007 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ghetto Dude3 (Post 7244277)
you can view mine in real time here :)

www.washcam.gotdns.org

username : guest
password : view

edit : arghh this is sticky, fooken boy has left himself logged in at work AGAIN :mad:

Do i need a IP addy?

StickyMicky 12 September 2007 04:31 PM

nope, the washcam url automatically points to whatever ip the system has uploaded (it checks the servers ip every 5 mins and upload a new one if needed)

busy logged in myself watching the boy, not much happening by the looks of it :D

satancom 04 October 2007 12:24 PM

Mine lives at http://www.satancom.gotdns.org/

Granby 06 October 2007 01:42 PM

Would be interested in what cameras people use for good quality footage at night :notworthy

j-k 06 October 2007 01:57 PM

Ian,

shouldn't you be talking to the KS resident cctv engineer??

He may have some stuff on the shelf in the garage??
(runs away to have a look...lol)

jon

powerman1 06 October 2007 03:24 PM

just bought one of these of ebay and will record onto you PC when motion activated..can be accessed over the interweb remotely
4 x CCD COLOUR DOME CCTV CAMERA + PC DVR CARD !RRP£1200 - eBay Cameras CCTV Sensors, Safety Security, Home Garden (end time 15-Oct-07 20:13:29 BST)

Granby 06 October 2007 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by j-k (Post 7310259)
Ian,

shouldn't you be talking to the KS resident cctv engineer??

He may have some stuff on the shelf in the garage??
(runs away to have a look...lol)

jon

Jon yes your correct, i forgot about him :brickwall