ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Front LSD on hawkeye WRX? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/631184-front-lsd-on-hawkeye-wrx.html)

fpan 30 August 2007 10:05 AM

Front LSD on hawkeye WRX?

Hi,
My WRX has a factory fitted LSD at the back but I am not happy with the amount of understeer when pushing hard on the exits of bends.
Sometimes the tail goes out when exiting hairpins when I am on boost which is nice but on a couple of occasions the front understeered and it made me s&*t myself!
I have a Quaife in my 205 Gti and it's fantastic to drive but I am not yet confident on the subaru or not used to it yet.
What would people do to cure the understeer?
Thanks,

EDIT> I just phoned Quaife and they don't have one for '07 models (only up to 2001)

John Stevenson 30 August 2007 02:02 PM

An LSD in the front will probably make the understeer worse (on tarmac).

---john---

fpan 30 August 2007 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by John Stevenson (Post 7218515)
An LSD in the front will probably make the understeer worse (on tarmac).

---john---

Why?:wonder:
Doesn't it work the same way as in FWD cars?

911 30 August 2007 06:03 PM

I personally hated mine (a plated front diff in a classic) and raced faster with it out. There are other designs out there, but i have no experience of them.
Lots of caster and other tricks will irradicate understeer in the suspension.

Graham.

fpan 31 August 2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 911 (Post 7218993)
I personally hated mine (a plated front diff in a classic) and raced faster with it out. There are other designs out there, but i have no experience of them.
Lots of caster and other tricks will irradicate understeer in the suspension.

Graham.

911 could you please explain why? :(
I love the Quaife I have in my 205. It allows me to apply the power earlier on the exits of bends and it is great fun pulling you towards the apex once you start sliding. You have to stay on the throttle though and not lift off.
The plated diffs should be different though as the steering locks and kicks back whereas the Quaife doesn't have this not being a plate diff.

dunx 01 September 2007 09:31 PM

Understeer

Just fit an uprated rear anti-roll bar, I did and now I'm having to dial out the oversteer by going back to factory rear geometry. To calm it down a little.... daren't even try in the wet too scarry !

Dunx

The rookie 06 September 2007 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=fpan;7221323]911 could you please explain why? :(
I love the Quaife I have in my 205. It allows me to apply the power earlier on the exits of bends and it is great fun pulling you towards the apex once you start sliding. [QUOTE]

Because the two causes of the understeer are differnet and you have different cars...

In the 205 the diff helped control understeer by stopping the inside wheel spinning and loosing its lateral grip, in the Impreza you don't have wheelspin, its the dynamics of the car and grip available V grip required on both fronts thats causing the understeer, an worm gear diff (like the ATB) wouldn't make understeer worse, but it wouldn't make it better either.

Start with the suspension, stiffer rear ARB is a very good first step, then play with tyre pressures and geometries.

Simon