ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   one for the tech guys (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/630568-one-for-the-tech-guys.html)

5cby 27 August 2007 03:02 PM

one for the tech guys

a friend of mine is having pc trouble
rings me this morning to say she got a problem with the pc
she deleted some old stuff and when she rebooted all her icons were large
so she went into display properties and changed the resolution and something else thats there aswell colour option or something like that
anyway when she restarted the pc it just got a black screen now
the xp logo could be seen then it dissapears and screen is black
no pointer can be seen on screen
tried to boot it into safe mode but it seems to freeze on a file called Mup.sys
what can it be?
she is lost without her pc

steve

_Meridian_ 27 August 2007 07:39 PM

A quick google seems to suggest that this is a hardware issue. Does she have another gfx card she can use? If so, plug that in and boot up. Remove the gfx drivers, then reinstall the original card and install new drivers.

If the system won't boot properly with the new card either, she should try disconnecting everything (including ALL drives, sound headers etc) except the RAM and the gfx and seeing if she can get into BIOS. If she can't this suggests a major problem, if she can, reconnect each device one at a time and reboot after each. Hopefully she'll be able to work out which device is at fault.

BTW, this is a kosher version of Windows, isn't it? If not, all bets are off.

M

5cby 27 August 2007 07:52 PM

gfx card is inbuilt on motherboard
in the bios the setting for it is pci or intergrated
legit copy of windows aswell

jpor 27 August 2007 08:47 PM

I would go for another Graphics card. Hopefully you have a spare PCI slot. Then in the BIOS set the GFX to look at the PCI.

_Meridian_ 28 August 2007 07:35 AM

It's possible that the reg has been corrupted. Is this copy of Windows a full copy, or one of those stupid repair disks? If it's a full copy I'd probably try a repair - keeps all the programs etc intact. If it's an OEM repair disk then that option is desperation only.

In the meantime, I'd try another gfx card if you can borrow one from somewhere.

I forgot: can you see things like the BIOS screen OK? If so, this is software, not hardware.

M

ChrisGrant 28 August 2007 11:24 AM

The fact that you can see the windows logo suggest that all hardware is working sounds like it’s a drivers issue. When the windows logo uppers press F8 and do a safe mode boot then uninstall the display drivers then reboot!

Should reboot ok and then work :thumb:

Do a full Virus scan and Spy ware scan (I use Ad aware is free and very good!!)! :luvlove:

Any probs let me know!

P.S If it missing a file(safe Mode) run a windows Repair! from the windows disk!

InvisibleMan 28 August 2007 01:00 PM

boot the OS disc to load recovery console and
expand d:\i386\mup.sy_ C:\windows\system32\drivers

when it loads that ok and stops at the next sys file, repeat procedure, where possibly you may have done this many many times and you realise it would have been quicker to do a full repair or worse install...:D
Doing a repair using the os disc is by far the easiest

ChrisGrant 28 August 2007 02:04 PM

Invis your just mean!!!!!!

If he was slightley tech-e minded he would have run the repair first!!!!!

nothing worst than someone playing with a computer not knowing what they are doing!!!!!

D16GER 28 August 2007 02:05 PM

Same as above (load recovery console) only simply type Chkdsk. This has saved my bacon before. Will check the disk for errors and hopefully fix any it finds.