ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Diesel engines exploding? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/629506-diesel-engines-exploding.html)

kingofturds 22 August 2007 02:28 PM

Diesel engines exploding?

I was in town earlier and saw some woman revving the tits of her citroen xantia diesel or so I thought, until she got out of the car looking very worried with the keys in her hand:wonder: the car kept on revving until there was a loud bang and then proceded to dump a large amount of oil all over the floor. shouldnt laugh but:lol1:

How the heck can this happen? surely once the ignition is cut the fuel pump will stop:confused:

The Zohan 22 August 2007 02:31 PM

Thought Diesel engines had some sort of guvenor to stop them overrevving/doing this, maybe it failed.

Rememeber the farm-boys on Scrapheap challenge removed the guvenor from a whopping big truck Diesel and it went into meltdown.

A real bloke would have dumped it into 5th and stalled it to a stop

what would scooby do 22 August 2007 02:32 PM

could be a citroen petrol running on / pre-ignition ? They're rough enough to sound like a diesel

kingofturds 22 August 2007 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 7201279)
Thought Diesel engines had some sort of guvenor to stop them overrevving/doing this, maybe it failed.

Rememeber the farm-boys on Scrapheap challenge removed the guvenor from a whopping big truck Diesel and it went into meltdown.

A real bloke would have dumped it into 5th and stalled it to a stop

I just watched the carnage unfold:D def a diesel, left an impressive smoke cloud when she blew.

I remember when the con rod came through the block on my old mondeo, the whole cabin filled up with smoke and I was doing 60mph at the time

wrx-kris 22 August 2007 02:45 PM

Actually, I picked up a Citroen ZX TD which did the same after the turbo went on the M60 - while it was on the way to the scrapper!

Did exactly the same thing.

jjones 22 August 2007 02:48 PM

once the rings go and it starts using oil from sump as fuel the only way to stop it is stall it really.

al4x1 22 August 2007 02:49 PM

its the turbo oil seal gone, basically lets the engine run on sump oil and because the governing is done through limiting the fuel supply then they basically cannot be switched off. we had it in a Laguna and because of where it was parked couldn't stall it. Bloody scary and creates a serious amount of smoke. Only way roung it we found out later is to stall in 5th, our one ran for about 5 mins before it ran out of oil. Its a known problem hence renault put a new engine in FOC

ours resulted in police and firebrigade being called by other people and some nice helpfull biddies saying why don't you switch it off :notworthy

kingofturds 22 August 2007 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by al4x1 (Post 7201312)
its the turbo oil seal gone, basically lets the engine run on sump oil and because the governing is done through limiting the fuel supply then they basically cannot be switched off. we had it in a Laguna and because of where it was parked couldn't stall it. Bloody scary and creates a serious amount of smoke. Only way roung it we found out later is to stall in 5th, our one ran for about 5 mins before it ran out of oil. Its a known problem hence renault put a new engine in FOC

ours resulted in police and firebrigade being called by other people and some nice helpfull biddies saying why don't you switch it off :notworthy

I was thinking to myself,switch the engine off you daft bint:lol1: Wish I had recorded it now;)

al4x1 22 August 2007 03:25 PM

its definitely impressive we had a load of people going to church to a christening who had to go through the smoke and that was about 200 yards down the road

scoobyboy 22 August 2007 03:49 PM

the isuzu 3.0l is a good one for that, at the minute if you have one that goes bang due to an injector fault (fills the sump with diesel) isuzu replace it free of charge regardless of age or mileage.

wrx-kris 22 August 2007 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyboy (Post 7201502)
the isuzu 3.0l is a good one for that, at the minute if you have one that goes bang due to an injector fault (fills the sump with diesel) isuzu replace it free of charge regardless of age or mileage.

Thats something useful to know :thumb:

Shark Man 22 August 2007 04:12 PM

Yup self destructing diesel:

2.2 Dci Lagunas are known for it, had to drive one back when the turbo seals had failed. Fine off boost, but as soon as teh turbo spun up...whoa nelly! :D:D

Basically any failure, be it rings, holed piston, turbo failure...or just simply overfilling the engine with oil will cause the engine to run off its own oil.

Once thats happened, all you can do is put it in 5th gear stamp on the brake pedal hard and jump off the clutch....that may save your engine.

chocolate_o_brian 22 August 2007 04:18 PM

sounds exactly like what happened to me when i had that turbo diesel 07 passat as a courtesy car while the scoob was being accident repaired...

if you dribbled it slowly it was fine. any sort of accelrator pressure and it was bouncing off the rev limiter and spunking black sh!t everywhere from the exhaust. thought it was the turbo.:lol1:

johnnyroper 22 August 2007 04:26 PM

seen it before when i worked at a pug dealer,turbo shaft sheared pumping sump oil in to inlet.
this resulted in engine revving like fu3k and finally stopping when all oil had gone and no4 rod came out of rear of block

Chelspeed 22 August 2007 06:12 PM

Shame it doesn't happen to all diesels.

Odds on 22 August 2007 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chelspeed (Post 7201839)
Shame it doesn't happen to all diesels.

:confused: Whys that?

Simon 69 22 August 2007 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 7201271)
I was in town earlier and saw some woman revving the tits of her citroen xantia diesel or so I thought, until she got out of the car looking very worried with the keys in her hand:wonder: the car kept on revving until there was a loud bang and then proceded to dump a large amount of oil all over the floor. shouldnt laugh but:lol1:

How the heck can this happen? surely once the ignition is cut the fuel pump will stop:confused:

Worn engines run on their own oil (because they arent running on fuel oil the engine speed cant be controlled): as they over rev the blow-by increases as do the revs until they go bang! The only way to stop them is to dump the clutch in 5th gear with your foot on the brake.

Simon

ScoobyWeb 22 August 2007 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by al4x1 (Post 7201312)

Correct, Its fairly common with the 1.9 turbo diesel in the Laguna, Thoughts are that its the EGR valve clogging with carbon that causes the turbo to run Extra hot and destroying the oil seals. This has been going on for the last 3 or 4 years and still Renault will not accept there is a fault, although they will contribute towards costs for a new turbo. :razz:

Shark Man 22 August 2007 08:49 PM

With respect to Lagunas, they do have issues where the oil return from the turbo blocks up. The result of which is the turbo blows its seals.

A laguna engine that suffered this fate (on its 2nd turbo- also with blown seals due to the blocked return) also burnt a hole through its pistons because of incorrect combustion. caused by it burning engine oil.

Thankfully; because it wasn't allowed to self destruct, it was rebuildable, so stalling the engine in 5th/6th saved the owner a fair few bob. :)

Luminous 22 August 2007 08:56 PM

It was also Renault that had the issue with hot handbrakes. You would park up on a slope, use the handbrake and the car would hold (without being in gear). As the brakes cooled, the pressure from the handbrake weakened and the car rolled off down the hill.

They ended up having to show it on Watchdog before Renault admitted there was something wrong. The handbrake held the car for 20 mins on Watchdog before it rolled off :eek:

Shark Man 22 August 2007 10:04 PM

I thought that was Citreon. Especially the Xantia and XM: the handbrake works the front brakes, which obviously got alot hotter than the rears during normal use. Discs expand with heat, contract when cool: Result is a load of Xantias rolling down hills after half an hour :lol1:

Dr Hu 23 August 2007 12:22 PM

NEVER EVER buy a french car with your own money.....:nods:

SPEN555 23 August 2007 02:34 PM

PMSL!

Reminds me of a guy I knew who had a 1.4 petrol Astra, for some reason this developed a fault whereby taking the ignition key out the engine would not stop running. My reply was "so what did you do?" and he said "I have a lump hammer with me and open the hood up and keep belting the engine until it stops" :lol: Laughing as I type this as it's so stupid :D

ZIPPY 23 August 2007 03:53 PM

Seen many a Laguna with this exact problem, the smoke generated is horrific.

Most dont realise they can stall the engine they just jump out key card in hand wondering what f#ck is happening with other motorists saying 'why dont you turn it off'.

matchmaker 23 August 2007 03:59 PM

As a young teenager I worked on a farm in the summer. We had an old Ford Dexta tractor which had a faulty governor. We were trying to sort this in the workshop one afternoon when the engine started to rev to buggery :eek:

The exhaust silencer blew off and disappeared through the asbestos roof. We and my mate legged it out of the shed. The farmer turned off the fuel cock and ran too.................

It stopped a few minutes later, in one piece. It took a couple of hours for the exhaust fumes to die down :D:D

[Davey] 23 August 2007 04:08 PM

Once the oil control rings go on a Diesel your screwed, it will run off the engine oil until its consumed it all.. then sieze up and spill its guts :D

STi wanna Subaru 23 August 2007 04:10 PM

Is it wrong I want to see this happen?! :D

dpb 23 August 2007 04:20 PM

I suppose with an automatic youd shove it into park and leave :wonder:

Bodgit 23 August 2007 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 7203835)
Is it wrong I want to see this happen?! :D

No, I was thinking the same thing.

Shark Man 23 August 2007 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 7203851)
I suppose with an automatic youd shove it into park and leave :wonder:

Your screwed, as you can't stall an auto. :D

Only hope is to shove rags up the air inlet (preferbly wet) and a up the exhaust (if you can find it in the smoke :lol1: ).

Run away diesel are quite fun; as people tend to run in all directions when one starts revving its head off. :D:D