ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   E-bay radiator, who has bought one? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/629182-e-bay-radiator-who-has-bought-one.html)

ticky 20 August 2007 10:46 PM

E-bay radiator, who has bought one?

Mine is leaking from the end tanks, nothing major but needs replacing.

Have seen a few advertised on ebay & it looks like there 2 different types for the classic.
1 with a small drain tap (like the original rad) & one without (just slightly cheaper)

Just looking for feedback on who's bought one?

Which seller did you buy from?

Unless you have bought one not off e-bay & where did you buy it from (prices please).

Thanks Ticky

rgv_stu 21 August 2007 09:18 AM

i bought one from ebay from iezura £62+ delivery
it got delivered yesterday at my dads, and will be fitting it tonight hopefully.
will let you know how it goes...
theres a 1 yr warrentee on them from what i can gather and according to the packaging its made by dolphin manufacturing ltd.

Stu

ticky 21 August 2007 05:57 PM

Hi Stu,

The iezura rad was the cheapest which makes it tempting but I noticed that it did not have the small drain tap. It could be that its a generic picture that they have used.

The other rad I saw came with 3 years waranty but cost near 90 pounds inc del?

So your feedback on build quality & overall fitting would help me decide.
Things like how the fans/housing bolt on, lower mounting dowels? etc.
Does it come with the small drain tap?

Thanks Ticky

GazJenno 21 August 2007 06:30 PM

I bought one from Budget-Radiators on e-bay for my Legacy GT auto, which split the end tank. it looks really good and is basically exactly the same as the OE one...Plus as its auto it has the gearbox oil cooler in it which takes the price up but the manual impreza one is £63-£65 about.

Its been on since the winter and is still doing its job with no problems at all!

hope that helps,

Gaz

millwrx 21 August 2007 10:56 PM

got one from slickparts of ebay,£69.99 plus £10 p&p,fitted it tonight and its spot on,

rgv_stu 22 August 2007 09:24 AM

well fitted mine last night,
rad looks good , aluminium core and seems to look right. there is an extra couple of pipes on there presumably for fitting to an auto box which i just left. there is a drain plug although the nozzle isnt long so you couldnt add a drain tube if you wanted. well all fitted OK until i came to fit the radiator mount on the left hand side. basically the hole in the radiator mount was in the wrong place, looked at my old rad and it had 3 mounting holes new one only had 2. i presume this was to fit a legacy rather than impreza. so i swaped over the top mounting plate from my old rad to the new one, job sorted. make sure you have some new bolts handy to remount the rad fans and the expansion tank pipe, as some of mine sheared off. all in all though an easy job fitted good, works well and cheap at £62 plus delivery im happy enough. only downside was the mounting hole was in the wrong place for my impreza. part code was DA_SB_137 which is one of the 4 they list on the ebay webpage. maybe the others have all mounting holes like my old rad did ??

ticky 22 August 2007 06:15 PM

Thanks for getting back Stu, all useful infomation.
I wondered why there were 2 nipples on the side of the end tank? Must be as you say legacy fitment.

ticky 22 August 2007 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by millwrx (Post 7200185)
got one from slickparts of ebay,£69.99 plus £10 p&p,fitted it tonight and its spot on,

Any fitting problems with this one?

Ticky

helium3 22 August 2007 06:55 PM

i bought one of the above and it went on perfectly.

millwrx 22 August 2007 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ticky (Post 7201845)
Any fitting problems with this one?

Ticky

no it was spot on:thumb:

rgv_stu 22 August 2007 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ticky (Post 7201844)
Thanks for getting back Stu, all useful infomation.
I wondered why there were 2 nipples on the side of the end tank? Must be as you say legacy fitment.

yes the two pipes on the side are redundant, best to cut them off really as they look silly and run close to the chassis rail. i sent them an email detailing the problem i had, yet to get a response though....

Dee NI 22 August 2007 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by rgv_stu (Post 7202445)
yes the two pipes on the side are redundant, best to cut them off really as they look silly and run close to the chassis rail. i sent them an email detailing the problem i had, yet to get a response though....

So you can just cut them two metal pipes off? I robbed a water pipe of my 205Mi16 just to hook these up to each other cause i thought they were open. The 205 can have it's pipe back again then.

Also had to drill another hole in the top plate to get the other pipes mounted in their original places. Still not a bad radiator. Haven't had any trouble with it yet.

Damien

rgv_stu 23 August 2007 09:08 AM

yes you should be able to chop them off, i blew through the one pipe and it came out the other, put my thumb over it and the air was blocked. from what i gather its just a loop of pipe inside the rad end plate. i left mine on (didnt chop them) as i couldnt really be bothered although looking at it now i wish i had as it looks a bit silly.