ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Why are replacement razor blades such a rip-off ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/628076-why-are-replacement-razor-blades-such-a-rip-off.html)

jjones 16 August 2007 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by bonerp (Post 7186952)
was cheaper for me to replace the shaver! Replacement cutters and foils were £5 more than the shaver at £55 for a phillips 3 head one. ****ing rip off.

Originally Posted by bonerp (Post 7186952)
sorry i dont find the need to discuss with other men which cream to use, which direction to stroke it or which moisturiser to apply afterwards :lol1:

http://blog.nopdesign.sk/en/wp-conte.../orly-mini.jpg

Iwan 16 August 2007 03:51 PM

Lol at the above. :lol1:

Why are replacement razor blades such a rip-off ?

Basically because people have been suckered in to buying more and more expensive versions of disposible razor blades, believing the advertising that the latest new blade is better than the last one, and of course each time a new version comes out the price goes up a little.

Modern cartridge razors are about the biggest con going, they cost a fortune and don't shave any better than razors that were around 100 years ago. All they've done is remove the need for any skill, and added a tiny bit of convenience - but even that's debateable.

I've used cut throat razors exclusively for the last year now, yes it was quite hard to learn the technique but now I have I get a far better shave than before, and zero ongoing costs once you've initially bought the razor(s) and a hone to keep it(them) sharp.

If you don't want to go the whole hog and use cut throats, there's always the good old double edge safety razor. Still a better shave than modern razors and you can pick up blades for less than £10 for 100 if you buy bulk. :)

bonerp 16 August 2007 08:41 PM

I'll get my coat haha

dpb 16 August 2007 09:36 PM

Thanks

Ive still ,i think, my grand-paps cut-throat - mybe ill try that :)

OllyK 16 August 2007 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 7186388)
Used Quattro titanium blades - seem to last a bit longer than most. Still gets three weeks max from them though.

3 weeks? I'm lucky if I can get a week out of mine.

Kuro 16 August 2007 09:47 PM

The more you shave, the more you have to.

Use cheapo razors and get it down to twice, maybe three times a week. Done:)

And if 'your manager' or whoever has a problem, f*%k them, just play the discrimination card and all bets are off:)

What the smeg is wrong with facial hair anyway..?

Kuro 16 August 2007 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan (Post 7187167)
I've used cut throat razors exclusively for the last year now, yes it was quite hard to learn the technique but now I have I get a far better shave than before, and zero ongoing costs once you've initially bought the razor(s) and a hone to keep it(them) sharp.

Well that may be so, but one slip in the bathroom and you'll look like a badly shot horror movie...:)

Full credit to you for the old-school approach though:thumb:

StickyMicky 16 August 2007 10:25 PM

i normally just use the clippers on no guard and go for the fasionable trimmed stubble look to be honest. :lol:

every now and again i will use a mach 3, but 9/10 i just trim the beard, when i shave the head.

it works out well as i never get shaving spots afterwards :D, takes seconds to do, although i do end up hoovering the floor afterwards :cuckoo:

Luminous 16 August 2007 10:57 PM

I don't get these "posh" razors. They just don't seem to offer a good shave. I have no clue what those pulsing things are meant to do.....stupidly I bought one when it was on offer. Its heavy, vibrates, and basically seems to do f**k all.

Basic two blade razors just seem to be so much better.

Iwan 17 August 2007 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kuro (Post 7188255)
Well that may be so, but one slip in the bathroom and you'll look like a badly shot horror movie...:)

Full credit to you for the old-school approach though:thumb:

True enough, I had a few accidents in the early days when I was learning. :eek:

Still, a lacerated face definately beats bending over and paying whatever Gillette are charging for Fu$ion cartridges these days. ;)

Leslie 17 August 2007 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 7186652)
Which will have been shoplifted to order. You're feeding crime.

Not actually true this time-he is a good bloke.

Les