ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Wild Eagle attacked my Cat today! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/627653-wild-eagle-attacked-my-cat-today.html)

RussBoy 14 August 2007 12:42 PM

Wild Eagle attacked my Cat today!

We've lived in Spain for 2 years and in the last month we have moved down from the mountains to an apartment right on the beach near Nerja. We knew of, and occasionally saw what looked like birds of prey in the distance when we lived in the mountains.

On Saturday we were driving along the main motorway and were turning off towards Nerja when a HUGE eagle (it's wingspan was not far short of the width of my wife Suzuki Jimny!!) swooped off a mountain rock by the side of the road towards the rock on opposite carraigeway. It was literally a few feet above us. That was amazing and we saw the speckled markings etc

This morning at about 7am I was just thinking about getting up and looking out the french doors (which were open) in the bedroom leading to a terrace area when I heard a squark and cackling and lot's of flapping noises. I jumped out of bed and saw another Eagle, smaller this time but still pretty mean looking, flapping above my cat who was cowering in the corner (luckily the bird couldn't get far enough into the terrace as we have a glass front and a sort of pergola thing above). My cat is a tough fecker and has seen off dogs etc before when cornered but he's going through PTSD now...he won't go out and keeps looking upwards through all the patio doors....Today's eagle also seemed to have something below him which looked like a nest!!!! (as if it had picked up a whole nest!!)

I've never heard of Eagles attacking full grown cats before and certainly not on the coast where we now live (the mountains wouldn't have surprised me). The Mrs is spooked too....

speedking 14 August 2007 01:08 PM

Does she look like a cat ? :Suspiciou

DCI Gene Hunt 14 August 2007 01:09 PM

Wild, it must have been furious! :Suspiciou

No 'Hotel California' jokes then :Suspiciou

jasey 14 August 2007 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by RussBoy (Post 7181756)
a HUGE eagle (it's wingspan was not far short of the width of my wife Suzuki Jimny!!)

Your average Aberdeen $hithawk (Seagull) has a wingspan greater than the width of a Jimny ;).

Get a big Dog. Cat can rule the Dog - Dog can eat any Eagles - Everybody happy :).

RussBoy 14 August 2007 01:24 PM

:lol1:

The cat is pretty small but what is interesting is they are making a new (large) golf course and development a mile up the coast road. I wonder if they disrupted all the natural habitat of the birds making them hunt for food on buildings etc instead. Guess my cat just looks a bit tasty to a non too fussy Eagle...Got camera at the ready if it trys it again tomorrow though (Mrs is wondering why I now have a camera on a tripod in the bedroom :norty: )

SJ_Skyline 14 August 2007 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by RussBoy (Post 7181876)
(Mrs is wondering why I now have a camera on a tripod in the bedroom :norty: )

:lol:

You need a bigger cat ;)

Graz 14 August 2007 04:29 PM

Could do with a few of them eagles to sort out a problem we have with our back garden.

Everyone wins - eagle gets fed, no more cat sh*t in the garden :thumb:

CupraDave 14 August 2007 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by RussBoy (Post 7181756)
my wife Suzuki Jimny!!

:lol:

was she a mail order bride from the far east with a name like that :D

RussBoy 14 August 2007 04:59 PM

:lol: :D Very good for a Tuesday!