ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Took My Sony Ericsson Swimming Last Night! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/627619-took-my-sony-ericsson-swimming-last-night.html)

pslewis 14 August 2007 09:10 AM

Took My Sony Ericsson Swimming Last Night!

Bloody daft old duffer I am!!!! :rolleyes:

Mobile Phone in shorts pocket and jump into the swimming pool ........

Right, I've never really liked it - the toggle on the phone always plays up, until I strip it and clean it with contact cleaner.

Anyway - it's dead now :cry:

I'm on Orange PAYG with this one (my Motorola contract phone, the BRICK lives in the car).

Any recommendations for a replacement?

The Samsung C300 is £29:99 but has bad reviews? Anyone here got/had one?

The Nokia 1600 is highly rated at about the same price £29:99 - any experiences?

I do not want one with a camera and only phone and text ......

Cheap as chips please - BUT, I will go all the way up to around £49 for the right one :thumb:

boxst 14 August 2007 09:11 AM

It shouldn't be dead -- take the battery out and use a hairdryer on the phone and then leave it in the airing cupboard for a while.

The phone WILL rust but it'll take a year or more.

Steve

SJ_Skyline 14 August 2007 09:14 AM

As Steve says, let it dry out and it may well work fine. My old Motorola V3 got soaked during a race and after a week of drying out in the airing cupboard it worked again. :thumb:

pslewis 14 August 2007 09:15 AM

This happened with an LG I had a few years ago - I fell overboard from my boat with it round my neck ....... it never worked again.

The important thing is, it seems, is whether it was turned ON when it was immersed in water ....... if it was OFF then, yes, dry it thoroughly and it should work.

BUT, if it is ON when soaked it seems to kill them .......

I held it under the hand dryer in the swimming pool but - no - it's dead :cry:

Dracoro 14 August 2007 09:20 AM

It's gonna take a bit more than 3 minutes under a hair dryer.

Take it apart (esp take the battery out) as much as possible and leave in the airing cupboard for a couple of days. Do NOT turn it on. Once you're satisfied that it's dried out then turn it on.

Speak to your local mobile shop, they get 'trade-ins' all the time, ask for one of them (free).

Incidentally, is this the virgin phone/contract you had 2 years before virgin mobile existed? ;)

STi wanna Subaru 14 August 2007 09:27 AM

No wonder your contract bill is so low if you use another phone ;) or is that what you wanted somebody to pick up on so you could enrage a few numpties? :D

Jay m A 14 August 2007 09:42 AM

Have a look in the Orange shop on ebay, there was a few Motorolas going for a £10

Jamie 14 August 2007 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7181383)
This happened with an LG I had a few years ago - I fell overboard from my boat with it round my neck ....... it never worked again.

The important thing is, it seems, is whether it was turned ON when it was immersed in water ....... if it was OFF then, yes, dry it thoroughly and it should work.

BUT, if it is ON when soaked it seems to kill them .......

I held it under the hand dryer in the swimming pool but - no - it's dead :cry:

:lol1: :thumb:

Leslie 14 August 2007 12:23 PM

Thats bad luck I must say, I lost my first Ericsson when I fell off my boat at the mooring. Since it was sea water it never had a chance. It is just possble that yours might work after a long drying out session. Luckily mine was insured for the first year so I got a replacement and the bloke gave me the battery pack off the old one as a spare!

Les

pslewis 14 August 2007 12:28 PM

Hi Les

Not bad luck - more daft old bugger!!! :lol1:

Leslie 14 August 2007 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7181730)
Hi Les

Not bad luck - more daft old bugger!!! :lol1:

My innate good manners would not let me say it Pete!

Les :D

kingofturds 14 August 2007 12:51 PM

My old samsung D500 took a trip down the bog,worked fine after a good drying out :D

4X4BOB 14 August 2007 02:48 PM

Gave my daughter my old Nokia 8210 a few years ago when I changed to a 8310.
She left it in her jeans pocket, only problem was her jeans went into the wash for 1 1/2 hrs at 40deg.
Only found it when the machine was emptied out.

Took the battery off and dried the phone on top of a radiator for a couple of days. The battery was FUBAR - you could see it had swolen up!
Got a cheapo replacement battery and the phone worked fine. In fact I've still got it i a drawer somewhere!

fivetide 14 August 2007 03:29 PM

My Samsung was on when the mrs bunged it inthe washing machine. Had a full 40 degree clean and spin. Worked fine for about 6 months after drying on the radiator for a week. Screen failed eventually.

5t.

Iwan 14 August 2007 03:52 PM

Mate of mine dropped an Ericsson T28 out of his shirt pocket into a 10L pot of white emulsion paint once. He immediately took the battery off and dropped it in a sink full of warm water, later he took it apart and scrubbed all the paint out with a toothbrush. After it dried out, it amazingly worked fine apart from the earpiece speaker being dead. He got a new one from somewhere like Maplin and replaced it, the phone was just as good as new afterwards. Amazing really!

J4CKO 14 August 2007 06:12 PM

I did this at the in laws, jumped in fulled clothed, Nokia 3310, dried it out it was fine, until, that is I launched it at the floor in a temper one day.

pslewis 14 August 2007 07:34 PM

Well, £19:99 for a Nokia 1600 ........ not worth messing about is it?

ScoobyDoo555 14 August 2007 10:02 PM

My Lab ate through Wifey's D600 :eek:

Now that couldn't be fixed :D

Pete, you old tw@t - just go and buy something decent for a change. You're pension should more than cover the price of a good phone ;)

Dan :D

carl 14 August 2007 11:03 PM

But a mobile is powered even when it's "off". You can tell because the power button is a soft switch. So you're unlikely to be able to recover it by drying it out. That's usually a successful method on 'dumb' devices, like PC keyboards.

I managed to dry out a USB stick after it had been in the washing machine and it worked fine, but only for a couple of weeks.

B-B 14 August 2007 11:05 PM

Ha ha ha anything to avoid spending money texting me!!

I would go for a Nokia personally. Where did you find it for £19.99??

Prasius 14 August 2007 11:23 PM

I had a Samsung go into the washing machine before, switched on and the works - on a full 40 degree cycle.

Pulled the phone out, took battery and sim out, then stuck it in a bowl of clean cold water for a couple of hours, giving it a good swish about now and again to try and clean any detergent out of it that may have got stuck. Left it on a windowsill out of direct sunlight for a few days, and it worked perfectly after that. Maybe I was lucky - or maybe we should credit phones for being tougher than we think ;)

pslewis 14 August 2007 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by B-B (Post 7183327)
Ha ha ha anything to avoid spending money texting me!!

I would go for a Nokia personally. Where did you find it for £19.99??

Phones4U

BUT, I like the look of the Samsung C300 ..... slider phone (pretty posh for me!!) at £10 more (£29:99) :lol1:

kingofturds 14 August 2007 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7183409)
Phones4U

BUT, I like the look of the Samsung C300 ..... slider phone (pretty posh for me!!) at £10 more (£29:99) :lol1:

Make sure they do not try and stitch you up with a mandatory £30 top up as well. I tried to buy one back in December and they tried to pull that one on me:mad:

pslewis 15 August 2007 12:02 AM

They want a £10 Top-Up ...... but, ARGOS, at the same price doesn't :D

B-B 15 August 2007 12:09 AM

Samsung looks good. Why do you want slider?

pslewis 15 August 2007 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by B-B (Post 7183519)
Samsung looks good. Why do you want slider?

Cos it's posher than YOURS :D :D

B-B 15 August 2007 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7183533)
Cos it's posher than YOURS :D :D

Samsung have the edge on design granted. They always have had. I just like Nokia. On O2 Nokia have better reception too than Samsung.

pslewis 15 August 2007 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by B-B (Post 7183543)
Samsung have the edge on design granted. They always have had. I just like Nokia. On O2 Nokia have better reception too than Samsung.

Blonde moment there ...... the reception doesn't depend upon the make of phone, rather other things like a big tower block in the way or sitting in a deep valley.

Jay m A 15 August 2007 03:05 PM

Pete you're not suggesting that every receiver in every make and model mobile phone is of the exact same quality are you?

Watch it, I'm blonde! ;)

pslewis 15 August 2007 06:40 PM

Pretty much, yes.

I'm Blonde too ...... well, was when younger - more Silver these days :lol1: