ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   One for the oldies, Rag and Bone men ! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/627528-one-for-the-oldies-rag-and-bone-men.html)

J4CKO 13 August 2007 08:15 PM

One for the oldies, Rag and Bone men !

I am 36 and can just remember the Rag and Bone man going past on a horse drawn cart, must have been during the mid/late seventies, anyone else remember the Rag and Bone men, I must have caught the last few days, I reckon the equivalent for my kids will be doorstep milk delivery.

Memory triggered by buying a Steptoe and Son tape from a bookshop in Grange over Sands at the weekend, pure genius.

Also, for the younger Scoobynetters, a tape is a kind of Itunes for old people, a plastic case full of magnetic tape with recorded music on it, played in a 'walkman', a kind of proto Mp3 player.

stevem2k 13 August 2007 09:14 PM

and this is in computer related because ........

boxst 13 August 2007 09:27 PM

There is a game ... Quest Walkthrough: Rag and Bone Man - ::Sal's Realm of RuneScape::

Steve

j4ckos mate 13 August 2007 10:10 PM

was it me or did their goldfish seem to live for ever and ever

fatherpierre 13 August 2007 11:03 PM

Yeah, I remember rag n bone men.

I'm 34 and also remember the pop man, the milkman delivering juice, butter, milk, bread and the bloke that delivered coal.

We even had an outside loo!

mart360 13 August 2007 11:28 PM

And the scissor and knive sharpener man..

corona pop lorry around on a thursday...

Mart

jods 13 August 2007 11:29 PM

Our Rag and Bone Man (Stockport late 70's early 80's) was a lazy fecker.
He NEVER used to Shout "Rag and Bone" - It was ALWAYS "RaaaBone"

Where are they now ? I reckon they'd be welcomed back with open arms now John Lewises charge £9 to take away a Washer/Dryer

Nat 14 August 2007 12:03 AM

Still got an old boy doing it around Northants. He never sounds like he's shouting rag n bone though, more like, errrr, well just a noise really :lol1:

stara 14 August 2007 12:06 AM

our rag and bone man used to shout "eeeeenneeeeeowineraaaaaaaabone"

which i found out later meant "any old iron? rag and bone?"

and we had an 'alpine' pop man, loads of chemically flavoured pops, and colours, cream soda being the best.

i also remember a bread man who also sold lollypops alongside his bread (y'know the kojack type lollies)

we still got rag and bone men nowadays around here, except we call them pikeys, and the tend to collect their scrap without permission from the owner

fatherpierre 14 August 2007 12:12 AM

Where I live now, the rag.... man wouldn't be able to get his cart over the speed bumps.

finchyboy 14 August 2007 12:14 AM

Yes we had a van man around our area that knocked out a bit of fruit and veg ,cream cake's ,penny sweet's etc and the worst pirate video's i have ever seen. Those were the day's !!!!

fatherpierre 14 August 2007 12:15 AM

Did he give apostrophies away too :D

finchyboy 14 August 2007 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7181114)
Did he give apostrophies away too :D

No but he gave question marks nob rot :razz:

oldsplice 14 August 2007 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 7180955)
Yeah, I remember rag n bone men.

I'm 34 and also remember the pop man, the milkman delivering juice, butter, milk, bread and the bloke that delivered coal.

We even had an outside loo!

Luxury!..........we had to get up before we went to bed....work 26 hours a day...... :lol1:

We used to have the Corona man, and I've always loved the smell of coal. :D

Bubba po 14 August 2007 08:19 AM

Our rag man used to have a tiny little roundabout on a cart that the little kids could have a ride on for a rag. It's in York's Castle museum, now. :o

dpb 14 August 2007 09:14 AM

Yeh we had rag an bone man - but he came round with a liftsided flatbed :D (AND IM 42) .

I decided to heave my tapes into the bin unless i can figure how to transfer to mp3 - thatll take a while :D

Drunken Bungle Whore 14 August 2007 11:41 AM

Did anyone else have parents that sent them out with a bucket and spade to follow the Rag & Bone man to shovel up the horse sh1t because it was good for the garden? :D

I remember the pop man bringing the weekly allowance of Dandelion & Burdock! Where are Corona now? ("Every bubble has passed it's fizzical!")

Tried getting my milk from a milkman recently - but 50p a pint....? :eek:

Leslie 14 August 2007 11:46 AM

Our rag and bone man used to shout "Raa-bo" from his horse and cart and like FP our bread and milk was also delivered by horse and cart as well. The bread was usually still warm from the oven too. What a luxury it was to slice off a slice of that with butter and jam.

Its good to remember those carefree days!

Les :)

D.K.1 14 August 2007 12:09 PM

I remember the rag and bone man and I didn't come about til the 80's :p :D Only remember him from the first few years of life thoguh. Don't recall him after about 5 or 6, that was in Stockport also :)

Big-G 14 August 2007 12:14 PM

I was brought up in a terraced house in Liverpool in the 1950's, behind the houses was a passageway known as the 'Jigger'.
Our rag-and-bone man pulled his hand cart up the Jigger, I used to think his name was Ernie O'Ryan. He would shout his name out loud, Ernie Ryan, Ernie O'Ryan which when translated was Any Iron, Any Old Iron. :) .

I remember horse drawn bin wagons, horse drawn milk deliveries and every local shop had a delivery boy with a bike with a big basket on the front.
We had then, no electricity, no TV and an accumulator powered radio.

I've also just realised that I got my first provisional license in 1967 :eek2: , now I need a lie-down.

G

Clarebabes 14 August 2007 12:44 PM

They still sell walkmans in our Sony shop here :eek:

Yes, I remember the Rag and Bone man. Used to shout something out which I could never understand. Was never the same once he was in a pick up truck! Ebay's obviously ruined their livelihoods cos everyone sells their own crap on there now.

wrx-kris 14 August 2007 01:00 PM

There's some old boy round Altrincham who still does it now :)

I think he's about 80+ fit as a fiddle from walking about with .5 tonne of scrap all day
RESPECT TO THE OLD BOY :)

richardg 14 August 2007 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 7181042)
Our Rag and Bone Man (Stockport late 70's early 80's) was a lazy fecker.
He NEVER used to Shout "Rag and Bone" - It was ALWAYS "RaaaBone"

Where are they now ? I reckon they'd be welcomed back with open arms now John Lewises charge £9 to take away a Washer/Dryer

he drives a drop side transit and rings a bell round our way! saw one in rayleigh a couple of weeks ago too

(hello jods btw)

Dan W 14 August 2007 01:30 PM

Aye, I remember. I'm 35.

It just made me thought that they were way ahead of their time doing all that recycling and not charging us a penny for their trouble.:lol1:

pwhittle 14 August 2007 01:32 PM

we had one in the 70's, and a grocery van.
They call themselves Reclaimation technicians now, and charge a fortune for old radiators!

J4CKO 14 August 2007 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by stevem2k (Post 7180464)
and this is in computer related because ........

Because I thought it would wind you up !

Came back to the pc, got wrong window and made this tragic error.