ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Very poor running wrx... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/626977-very-poor-running-wrx.html)

the_msp 10 August 2007 05:42 PM

Very poor running wrx...

('95 WRX w/polar performance product 1 chip)

I filled up the car yesterday with superunleaded. when i was coming out of the station I noticed that the engine was vibrating more, like the flat 4 'wobble' from side to side... enough to feel inside the car and rock the suspension slightly

I fitted (4) new coil packs yesterday afternoon and since I have virtually no boost, boost gauge is showing boost (reading from manifold about 13psi, chip mapped to 16.11psi - not sure whether this is manifold or turbo outlet rating...) but the car isn't pulling at all... it feels like a N/A engine, right through the rev range - feels like no boost. It feels very lumpy, sluggish, and slow revving

The fuel economy is far worse... normally get 100km to 1/4 tank, got 36km to 1/4 since yesterday :confused:

Have tried resetting the ECU to no avail...

Don't think there are any air leaks round the IC pipework etc...

Any other things I should be checking? I put the coil packs in as the old ones were cracked and missfiring, but with the car performing poorly after coming out of the garage I don't know if it is a knock on effect from it?

the_msp 10 August 2007 07:37 PM

Things I'm going to check tonight:

Take the VTA DV off
Clean boost solenoid
Check injector connections
check fuel filter
check oil filler for smoke
check T.P.S
clean MAF

best case scenario some connectors/sensors are loose... worst case melted piston? what are the symptoms of a melted piston?

rossd001 10 August 2007 07:42 PM

Wastegate Actuator Maybe?? I had the same problem! 2min Job and it was fixed...

gojonnyjo 10 August 2007 07:46 PM

?????????????

why did you change the coil packs?? are you sure they are 100%, to me sounds like she is miss firing, that would give you a wobble, check all wiring to sensors and vacum pipes in case ya knocked something off, wud not think its ur fuel, not only after just filling it, unless u were empty

the_msp 10 August 2007 08:04 PM

I changed the coil packs due to it missfiring after upping boost with the polar chip. The old coil packs were cracked at the tips. I was nearly empty - took 46 litres to fill it to the neck.

Thing is it started to wobble before I changed the coil packs...?

Would the wastegate actuator result in these symptoms? I'll try tightening it, clockwise to tighten right?

rossd001 10 August 2007 08:54 PM

I dont know about the wobble, but I lost pretty much all boost, and my dump valve and induction kit were useless.....NOTHING! Revs were slow and it felt like a N/A car.... Exactly the same as what you were saying!

And it was all down to the waste gate actuator comming loose!

Its worth a try!

ulsterscooby 10 August 2007 10:16 PM

Have you checked your plugs ?

the_msp 10 August 2007 10:49 PM

Sorted - one of the coil packs I bought had a loose connection inside the connector head :rolleyes: was running on 3 half the time but going well now :thumb: