ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/)
-   -   Simtek Ecu Upgrades (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/626930-simtek-ecu-upgrades.html)

APIDavid 10 August 2007 12:50 PM

Simtek Ecu Upgrades

API Impreza
3 & 4 Churchlands Farm Ind. Est.
Bascote Road
Harbury
Warwickshire
CV33 9PL England

Phone 44 [0] 1926 614333
Fax 44 [0] 1926 614907

Email: dob@apiengines.com

Welcome to the API website

APi are happy to announce that we are now the Midlands area stockists and installers of the Simtek Maf-less ECu system.

Currently the range covers Impreza turbo from 92 -98 and from 2001 to now.

The 99/00 range will be available very soon and is expected to be a top seller because of the poor quality of the MAF on that year range cars.

Please call me for any information and prices that you need regarding these exciting new systems and for a fitting reservation. [ Wednesdays ]

We are not able to supply these for self fit, they do require professionally fitting and we are happy to talk to any trade customers that may be interested in buying.

David APi

APIDavid 11 August 2007 12:34 PM

Bump

Area 52 Autosport 11 August 2007 01:17 PM

David.

Your post above needs a minor grammatical correction so as not to mis-lead people.
It really ought to say "we are now "A" Midlands area Simtek stockist........

Mike.
ScoobyMania Online Shop
A GLOBAL Simtek agent ;)

Granby 12 August 2007 08:06 AM

What's the advantage of using a Simtek ECU and who maps them for you

black newage 12 August 2007 08:11 AM

excuse my ignorance, having never heard of them, just wondering what big bhp race/track or fast road subarus have these been fitted to? there are plenty of motec/apexi subarus about, perhaps more info to help people like me? proven bragging rights only please:)

wrxsti280 12 August 2007 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Mania (Post 7176084)
David.

Your post above needs a minor grammatical correction so as not to mis-lead people.

Mike.
ScoobyMania Online Shop
A GLOBAL Simtek agent ;)

do i sense an air of sarcasm in this post????

T5OLF 12 August 2007 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by black newage (Post 7177231)
excuse my ignorance, having never heard of them, just wondering what big bhp race/track or fast road subarus have these been fitted to? there are plenty of motec/apexi subarus about, perhaps more info to help people like me? proven bragging rights only please:)

I had mine fitted/mapped a couple of weeks ago at Teg by steve Simpson, I was running an Apexi before that mapped by AF. I have not used the car much due to hols, work and general lack of free time but it does seem a lot smoother power delivery and less lumpy on tickover(that could be the smaller 440's)

Our local garage stopped selling Vpower so we had to map the car using 97 ron but it still made 310 brake. It does seem to have less power than before but I was running 1.4 bar of boost and now it runs 1.25 as the simtec uses the oe boost senser were before I had an Apexi boost controller. It does seem less savage and more driveable on b roads.

The simtec can pick up det on each cylinder rather than across the whole engine(if that makes sense) When mapping we got det on no4 so rather than having to pull the timing and fueling across the board the simtec can trim each cylinder for timing and fuel.

I had the antilag added as well, it's only mild and just for a bit of fun really. Steve is a really nice guy and I would recommend him if your after a new ecu.

harvey 14 August 2007 10:52 AM

You have a very capable ECU there David. I had one fitted last July, I think it was, to my 95WRX Wagon. Previously it ran a 6 row Link which did the job but lacked some refinement. I then had an Apexi for a few weeks and then the Sigma/Simtek on the basis that if I was not happy with it, I did not buy it.
We picked up power on the Simtek on the initial mapping session.
The ECU has great resolution, 24 X 24 with the movable break points so resolution is whatever you want, where ever you want it. eg at the spool point. 2 maps, check engine light for gear shift and knock alert. Closed loop fuel. Closed loop idle. Closed loop boost and in gear boost.
Because the boost control is so good and with in gear boost, I was able to sell my Apexi AVC-R.
Individual cylinder trim as indicated above, air charge temperature compensation. Rev limiter and an optional two stage ALS if you want that. The list goes on.
It has many features seen on much more expensive ECUs.
The car is running 422 bhp on one of my own TD05-06 20gs on V-Power plus 2mls/litre N.F. There may be a little more to come if Steve Simpson remaps the top end but the turbo does not have much more in it.

I have been so happy with it that last week, Steve fitted a second Simtek to my blue STi 3 Wagon. I looked around at other ECUs over the last three or four months as I wanted to try something different. This included the latest Link, AEM and others but I decided on a second Simtek. After mapping, for a non MAF system, I was impressed by how smooth it was and cold starting was instantaneous. Steve picked up 14 bhp on a before and after check and we are final mapping on a different turbo this Friday.

Good luck with it David. I am sure it will become very popular.

wrxsti280 14 August 2007 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 7181533)
You have a very capable ECU there David. I had one fitted last July, I think it was, to my 95WRX Wagon. Previously it ran a 6 row Link which did the job but lacked some refinement. I then had an Apexi for a few weeks and then the Sigma/Simtek on the basis that if I was not happy with it, I did not buy it.
We picked up power on the Simtek on the initial mapping session.
The ECU has great resolution, 24 X 24 with the movable break points so resolution is whatever you want, where ever you want it. eg at the spool point. 2 maps, check engine light for gear shift and knock alert. Closed loop fuel. Closed loop idle. Closed loop boost and in gear boost.
Because the boost control is so good and with in gear boost, I was able to sell my Apexi AVC-R.
Individual cylinder trim as indicated above, air charge temperature compensation. Rev limiter and an optional two stage ALS if you want that. The list goes on.
It has many features seen on much more expensive ECUs.
The car is running 422 bhp on one of my own TD05-06 20gs on V-Power plus 2mls/litre N.F. There may be a little more to come if Steve Simpson remaps the top end but the turbo does not have much more in it.

I have been so happy with it that last week, Steve fitted a second Simtek to my blue STi 3 Wagon. I looked around at other ECUs over the last three or four months as I wanted to try something different. This included the latest Link, AEM and others but I decided on a second Simtek. After mapping, for a non MAF system, I was impressed by how smooth it was and cold starting was instantaneous. Steve picked up 14 bhp on a before and after check and we are final mapping on a different turbo this Friday.

Good luck with it David. I am sure it will become very popular.

you reccomended this ecu to me a couple of months back harvey and as soon as i saw this was asking for information from api, but you have just given me everything i need to know apart from price, it certainly looks like a special piece of kit.

im still waiting for a response from api

APIDavid 14 August 2007 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Granby (Post 7177228)
What's the advantage of using a Simtek ECU and who maps them for you

I think that Harvey has answered for me here. l have been away since Friday, so am just catching up.

Pat Herborn is our mapper, he does our regular Wenesday mapping sessions.

If you need more, please call me - you have the number.

Kind regards David

APIDavid 14 August 2007 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Mania (Post 7176084)
David.

Mike.
ScoobyMania Online Shop
A GLOBAL Simtek agent ;)

I've just bought the mapping rights for The Earth moon and Jupiter and Mars from Steve. Cheap too.

APi - THE intergalactic mappers of Simtek.

:D

radave 14 August 2007 05:56 PM

Simtek ecus

Weve been fitting and mapping Simtek in the Bristol area now for nearly a year and I can honestly say that it is fantasic value for money .Not only does it have the functions like als ,dual maps,knock warning and gear shift via fault code light ,full wastegate control with optional high low boost ( no need for boost controllers ) timing control per cyl on coil on plug models and numerous other functions it actually works giving excellent control of timing and fuelling
We currently have cars which are producing well over 400bhp running Simtek on 800cc injectors and the resolution on the fuel map will allow us to run lamda figures we could only dream of on other systems and still have excellent pick up and response
This system will out perform many of its competitors which are at least twice the price in both functions and control
Dave Griffiths (Interpro Automotive )

black newage 14 August 2007 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by radave (Post 7182361)
Weve been fitting and mapping Simtek in the Bristol area now for nearly a year and I can honestly say that it is fantasic value for money .Not only does it have the functions like als ,dual maps,knock warning and gear shift via fault code light ,full wastegate control with optional high low boost ( no need for boost controllers ) timing control per cyl on coil on plug models and numerous other functions it actually works giving excellent control of timing and fuelling
We currently have cars which are producing well over 400bhp running Simtek on 800cc injectors and the resolution on the fuel map will allow us to run lamda figures we could only dream of on other systems and still have excellent pick up and response
This system will out perform many of its competitors which are at least twice the price in both functions and control
Dave Griffiths (Interpro Automotive )

please feel free to print where it will outperform its competitors, very interested to see where its better than motec or apexi

burns 14 August 2007 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 7182176)
I've just bought the mapping rights for The Earth moon and Jupiter and Mars from Steve. Cheap too.

APi - THE intergalactic mappers of Simtek.

:D

David, I've got one of the MY99-00 space shuttles and it keeps eating MAF's , when will the new Simtek be available for my shuttle and will the ALS be any good on takeoff?
:Suspiciou :lol:

radave 14 August 2007 06:55 PM

simtek

Motec and Apexi are two goods systems ,with regards to Motec it doesn't out perform both systems offer functions that the other doesn't and as far as drive ability goes there is very little difference perhaps the pick up is slightly better on the Simtek system due to the way the maps are set up ,but its value for money the only Motec system that can be compared on a functions basis is the m800 + options that works out to be nearly 3 times the price ,even the M4 which falls way behind on functions ( not enough outputs for idle control and boost )is at least 50% more expensive
With regards to Apexi would is another good system the main area is no maf sensor I know it can be converted but how many people have ?
the boost control on Simtek is excellent plus Apexi is no longer available
We have over the years run many different systems and as I mentioned in my previous post the only ones that we have found comparable are the systems that are at least twice the price

Tone Loc 16 August 2007 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 7173979)
Currently the range covers Impreza turbo from 92 -98 and from 2001 to now.

David, from the above i presume the drive by wire throttle cars (MY06-07) are covered?

Tony.

p1prodrive 16 August 2007 09:22 PM

prices on the 99-00 would be nice

harvey 17 August 2007 01:51 AM

please feel free to print where it will outperform its competitors, very interested to see where its better than motec or apexi
I don't think many people would consider the Apexi in the Motec league.

I also have a Motec M800 in addition to the two Simteks referred to above. The Simtek has similar features/capability as the Motec for a lot less money.

After a six row Link the Apexi was only on my car for a few weeks. The fact I have opted for a second Simtek when I had planned to try something else, just to broaden my experience may indicate something to you.
I listed some of the features above but you asked where it was better than the Apexi. Well for starters, closed loop boost, boost control and in gear boost. Like I said, I had been running an AVC-R which was redundant whith the Simtek because of all the features and quality of control so the boost controller was sold.
24 x 24 3D fuel and ignition maps.
Greater resolution.
MAP based load calculations so no MAF Sensor required.
Charge temperature correction tables for fuel and ignition.
Anti lag as an add on if you like that sort of thing.
I think this gives you an idea without looking up specific features.

The Apexi has served many people well but the Simtek is a more comprehensive tool as outlined above.

banny sti 17 August 2007 08:38 AM

Ok enough tech talk how much including mapping, as an apexi can be had for around £750 fitted and mapped.

Banny

Area 52 Autosport 17 August 2007 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by black newage (Post 7182388)

Black Newage

When it comes to performance terms, it is capable in several areas (as Dave G correctly points out) of achieving things with far greater ease and control than rival products. That is the type of performance advantage which makes it a "better" product for the end user. It also has control range options and additional functionality over and above comparable products.

If you're interested in one, please feel free to pick up the phone and myself or Jase will gladly walk you through whatever you'd like to know?

P1Prodrive

99/00MY is not currently close to availability, it's still not guaranteed that it will even be done as with such a wide and expanding overall product range, it's a lot of extra work for that single model year for a very limited audience/market.

If that changes at any point, if you register on our web site, you can elect to have any alterations in the Engine ECU section automatically mailed out to you.

wrxsti280
Give us a call or drop me a mail direct to mike@scoobymania.com and we'll answer all of your queries the same day.

:)

Area 52 Autosport 17 August 2007 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 7189025)
Ok enough tech talk how much including mapping, as an apexi can be had for around £750 fitted and mapped.

Banny

Hi Banny, prices are all available at the click of your mouse Simtek ECU Prices

APIDavid 17 August 2007 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by burns (Post 7182430)
David, I've got one of the MY99-00 space shuttles and it keeps eating MAF's , when will the new Simtek be available for my shuttle and will the ALS be any good on takeoff?
:Suspiciou :lol:

Thanks for your interest.

The 99/00 version is being done as we speak and we hope to have trial versions in about 5 weeks. I expect this one to be a top seller as the well know MAF problems on that age car are expensive to keep replacing and still as unceratin as ever.

We fitted 3 dodgy ones, one after another, about 3 months ago - straight from the box brand new and not working properly.

David APi

Start forming a queue guys.

APIDavid 17 August 2007 09:38 AM

Banny, the A'Pexi for the 92 -97 cars [ Anything with coil packs ] is no longer available since January this year. Supplies are now exhausted.

So there is no viable entry level priced item to do the job properly on those cars - IN MY OPINION, except the Simtek.

David APi

APIDavid 17 August 2007 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby Mania (Post 7189034)
Hi Banny, prices are all available at the click of your mouse Simtek ECU Prices

Mike that link is not working.

banny sti 17 August 2007 09:50 AM

David going by the Scoobymania website it is £1182 inc vat for fitting and mapping but i assume to enable ALS it will be £150 extra. What would be your best price?

Banny

Tone Loc 17 August 2007 11:43 AM

So going back to post 16 does it definately cover the DBW throttle models...... anybody hear me, hello ;) :D

Tony.

APIDavid 17 August 2007 11:48 AM

I am looking into that, but as yet have no clarification. l hope to answer a bit later on.

Sorry, I could have said so earlier, but missed it off.

David APi

Tone Loc 17 August 2007 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 7189646)
I am looking into that, but as yet have no clarification. l hope to answer a bit later on.

Sorry, I could have said so earlier, but missed it off.

David APi

LOL, no worries. I do know a few months ago when up at TEG on a LADS rolling road day Steve did say when my 06 was coming off the RR they would be looking at the DBW cars but IIRC hadn't started the process yet.

Tony.

APIDavid 17 August 2007 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tone Loc (Post 7189704)
LOL, no worries. I do know a few months ago when up at TEG on a LADS rolling road day Steve did say when my 06 was coming off the RR they would be looking at the DBW cars but IIRC hadn't started the process yet.

Tony.

Quite right, Just spoke to Steve now. DBW cars are the last on the list currently, as it is perceived a larger market for the 99/00 cars then the DBW stuff a bit later.

It is happening, but not just yet. Sorry if I confused with the 01 0nwards bit. I mean 01 - 05. [ I think ]

David APi

Tone Loc 17 August 2007 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 7189718)
DBW cars are the last on the list currently.

David APi

I had a feeling that would be the answer, that's why i queried the 2001 onwards ;) . Sounds like an interesting ECU tho so should be worth the wait... if Steve needs a car to test on give me a shout :D

Tony.