ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Check Engine Light (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/626880-check-engine-light.html)

red98sport 10 August 2007 07:51 AM

Check Engine Light

Hey Guys not been on for a while but need some of the kind Scooby Net Help you guys are oh so good at. (All you kind kind people)

I have a 98 2.0 sport with 98k on clocks just had it's bigish service at 97k,

For the last few week the Check Engine light has been coming on for a few seconds then goes off. I always thought it stayed on till reset.

Had it to 2 garages to check try and read the error code with no abade. Booked in with Subaru at Doncaster on the 31st but its a while away.

The car has been running oddly, when I put the foot down there is a hesitation in the car before it goes anywhere. Then a sudden release.

Has any body had a similar prblem or does anybody know what it could be?

I'm sure te guys at Subaru Donny will sort it just thought I'd ask, as the 31st is a couple of weeks away.

Cheers Guys

dan83590 10 August 2007 08:06 AM

Have you try reading the codes yourself?

Click This

red98sport 10 August 2007 08:12 AM

WOW

I had no idea that was possible.

Many thanks:notworthy

Phildodd06 10 August 2007 08:15 AM

Mine came on last week
My coolent just needed toping up, it hasnt came on since i toped it up

red98sport 10 August 2007 10:36 AM

Scooby Clinic

Has anybody ever had a 2.0 sport tunned here, or anywhere else.

Was it worth it in the end?

Mr Footlong 10 August 2007 11:06 AM

If you are referring to remapping, I would have to say personally that is a lot of money if they do it, for a fairly limited gain on a NA car.

dan83590 10 August 2007 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by red98sport (Post 7173735)
Has anybody ever had a 2.0 sport tunned here, or anywhere else.

Was it worth it in the end?

Plenty of people have tweaked their 'Sports' on here. If it were me I'd help the engine breathe with some sort of after market filter, a nice free flowing exhaust. Unequal length headers to get that Subaru burble. Suspension mods, say from a WRX or STI, or some KYB AGX's. Brakes would be another good idea, change your 1 Pot brakes to either 2 POTS or 4 POTS from the Turbo models. Bucket seats from a Turbo. Etc.

red98sport 10 August 2007 12:32 PM

All Good

Thnaks for the advice guys some good ideas, I do already have induction kit and exhaust done, brakes will be next and need to get a full respray I think, get rid of all the little dinks and color code skirts

Should be how I want it soon.

Cheers

STi wanna Subaru 10 August 2007 12:47 PM

MAF

red98sport 10 August 2007 01:28 PM

What the feck

Whats MAF???

STi wanna Subaru 10 August 2007 03:23 PM

Mass Air Flow Sensor in the housing just after the air filter. Meters the air going into the engine. Cant say for the sports but on the turbo cars if this is under reading or about to fail you get the hesitancy you describe. It could of course be a number of things causing it but through my own experiences I don't trust the MAF's on the cars circa the age of yours.

red98sport 13 August 2007 07:08 AM

Found The Problem

On taking my car in for the MOT when doing the emisions test, whenever the check engine light came on the mot machine went through the roof with its readings.

It failed on a sensor near the cat.

Cheers for all the help tho guys

Gutmann pug 13 August 2007 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by red98sport (Post 7173956)
Thnaks for the advice guys some good ideas, I do already have induction kit and exhaust done, brakes will be next and need to get a full respray I think, get rid of all the little dinks and color code skirts

Should be how I want it soon.

Cheers

If the exhaust is a de-cat or has less cats on than the standard car that could be the reason for your check engine light :thumb: