ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Four seater convertible? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/626335-four-seater-convertible.html)

Andy Tang 07 August 2007 08:33 PM

Four seater convertible?

I've decided that as I've never owned a convertible before, it should be time that I did!!

I want a four seater one to make sure it's a "sensible" option and will replace my TDI Golf.

I've considered the following:

Audi A4 (ideally a TDI)
Saab 9-3

Any experiences? Is the chassis stiff enough with the roof down?

Any other cars I should look at?

skoosh 07 August 2007 08:49 PM

I've just gone from 52-plate jdm wrx wagon with 313/303 to a 1994 3L E36
M3 convertible................. different class altogether.

Can't beat cruising with top and windows down, plus wife and daughters absolutely love it.

Sure, for acceleration you can't match a scoob, but limited to 155 out of the box...............LUUUUVLY.

Better on fuel, less chance of being caught speeding cos lets face it you can't speed and cruise can ya...............?;)

Like the A4 cab also, but the growl of the 3 litre is just superb.

All electrics, semi-auto roof that folds in 19 seconds too.

Not looked back, next car will be the e46 M3 cab.

Do it mate...........you won't regret it.

Si.

RB5SCOTT 08 August 2007 05:44 PM

E46 M3 handles well enough Andy and the rear seat are big enough considering!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...yparker/24.jpg

Andy Tang 09 August 2007 09:54 PM

Cheers guys, I didn't really want a BMW, but I shouldn't let my prejudices get in the way, especially if they handle despite being a convertible!

I want it as my commuter car, but I don't want clients judging me for owning a beemer! ;)

Devildog 10 August 2007 09:01 AM

Andy,

The chooped 9-3s and A4's are seriously lacking in torsional rigidity. The 3 Series BM's in my experience have been a fair bit more solid.

The Trooper 1815 10 August 2007 03:09 PM

VW EOS????

Longjing 10 August 2007 04:16 PM

You might find a classic 900 more solidly made. Those pre-GM Saabs frequently do huge mileages. Personally I like them more than the 9-3 too.

No experience of driving a 900 convert, so no idea if they're really better, but the model in general was always highly rated for solid reliability.

Andy Tang 10 August 2007 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon (Post 7174218)
VW EOS????

Hmmm... I might have to have a look at one!

Andy Tang 11 August 2007 06:52 AM

What about CLKs or Volvos?

I know they are both a little old man, but I do turn 35 next birthday! ;)

I like the look of this :eek:

ALEXANDERS PRESTIGE : VOLVO C70 2.0T COLLECTION

stuh1981 15 August 2007 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Tang (Post 7175596)
What about CLKs or Volvos?

I know they are both a little old man, but I do turn 35 next birthday! ;)

I like the look of this :eek:

ALEXANDERS PRESTIGE : VOLVO C70 2.0T COLLECTION

I agree i would go for the Volvo C70. You can get a T5 model that can fairly shift.

Petem95 15 August 2007 09:53 PM

A4 everytime! Very smart looking and great build quality - the only problem (and this has put me off purchasing one) is the weight :eek:

The result is very poor performance and economy. You would think the 2.5TDi would pull strongly and give ok MPG, but even with that engine 0-60 takes almost 10 seconds and returns 38mpg!

The only swift model in the range is the S4, but you'll pay at the pumps for one of them, as well as the purchase price!

Andy Tang 15 August 2007 11:57 PM

The one I really like is the Audi, but I would want either the 2.0 TDI or the 2.5 TDI. I'm in no rush, so I suspect I'll be looking as winter draws closer! ;)

AndyC_772 16 August 2007 07:23 PM

I tried a 330D convertible when I was looking around for my scooby replacement last year - it was a great car and a much livelier, more involving drive than the A4 saloon I also tried. It's hard to put my finger on exactly what the difference was, but the A4 just felt... soulless.

Attu 16 August 2007 08:46 PM

I think a CLK would be towards the top of my list

Steve Whitehorn 16 August 2007 08:54 PM

DONT GET THE VOLVO DONT
I have driven a fair few C70s.
One of the worst cars I have ever driven.
Rigidity....Its like a jelly.
The T5 lump is a peach though loverly - just surrounded by a crock of S...
Steve

The BM is the best in the class

RS Grant 16 August 2007 09:22 PM

We've got an E46 330d M-Sport and its a great car... the Audi Cab was on the list too, however was just the 2.5TDi at the time and its slow and unrefined. They have a 3.0TDi engine now and from what I've heard, its a much better prospect. :)

Handling wise, the BMW does suffer from losing the roof over the 2dr Coupe... but its still a very nice drive and quite good fun*. :cool:

Cheers,
Grant

* obviously not as fun as that M3 Cabrio above!! :thumb: