ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   New Fiat 500 (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/625033-new-fiat-500-a.html)

Matteeboy 01 August 2007 09:18 AM

New Fiat 500

Anyone seen this in this months Evo?
What a STUNNING looking little car!

Beginning to really see the appeal of a small chuckable fun car like this that happens to look great too.

Saw a few original 500 Abarths when in Italy a couple of weeks ago and they are amazing looking little cars but a bit tiny!

Really beginning to think huge power is pointless and low speed fun is where it's at on our clogged up roads.

http://www.rockinghamcars.co.uk/imgs...w_500_side.jpg

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/fiat500b.jpg

Devildog 01 August 2007 09:26 AM

Agreed :)

Nice to see Fiat getting it so right in all areas for once :thumb:

FlightMan 01 August 2007 09:54 AM

Couldn't agree more. I think the "ccoking" version has 150bhp? In a car that weighs around a ton, that should be fun! Can't be far off the Mk1 GTI power to weight figures?

The Zohan 01 August 2007 09:57 AM

I really like this, i loved the original as well.

Looks like Fiat have got it right, i just hope build, reliability and engineering quality is up to it, if so then they have a winner on thier hands :)

Matteeboy 01 August 2007 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 7153607)
Couldn't agree more. I think the "ccoking" version has 150bhp? In a car that weighs around a ton, that should be fun! Can't be far off the Mk1 GTI power to weight figures?

Yep - Looks like the Abarth version will have 150bhp.
Evo test the 1.4 Sport with 99bhp and seem very impressed with it.

Trouble is, demand is so huge in Italy that exports look like they will be held up for a bit!

Nat 01 August 2007 10:04 AM

Looks very much like a smaller version of a Micra.

Whats the price going to be?

Matteeboy 01 August 2007 10:08 AM

Evo reckon about £11.5k for the 1.4 Sport (very nice mostly leather interior).
Abarth likely to be near £15k.

Have to say though, if it lives up to it's potential, I'd be interested in it as a 2nd car.

RichardS2005 01 August 2007 11:29 AM

If the Abarth has a sensible stylish bodykit it will sell by the bucket load! It could look a bit corsa VXR if bits are just bolted on - hopefully this won't happen with the italians!

Matteeboy 01 August 2007 11:38 AM

Richard - Preview Abarth pics are looking pretty good - nice and restrained but stylish.

Nat 01 August 2007 11:46 AM

I think it will do v well and steal a lot of Mini sales and be the new 'cool car' for a year or two at least..

Steve Perriam 01 August 2007 11:53 AM

yep its looks very nice.

and getting some good press which is what fiat need.

the arbath one will be the one to watch out for.

Flatcapdriver 01 August 2007 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 7153825)
I think it will do v well and steal a lot of Mini sales and be the new 'cool car' for a year or two at least..

Could well do so, although I do remember FIATs from of old...

Fix It Again Tony was the popular moniker! Usually directed at the dealership's mechanic.

Nigel H 01 August 2007 12:41 PM

It will be interesting to see how it sells over here; it seems too expensive to me for a niche motor like that made by Fiat. I may be wrong.

Shark Man 01 August 2007 01:04 PM

On paper, it looks good.

Lets hope they get the driving dynamics, feel and involvment right: EVO have a nasty habit of giving glowing reviews to quick cars which have little involvment to drive hard and zero feedback through the controls (Impreza being one ;) ).

Mind, being Fiat, they have a long way to go to get that right; They have a history of sloppy gearchanges, wooly brakes and rubbery/overassisted steering....still, I'll keep an open mind :)

wall 01 August 2007 01:27 PM

Here is the 500 Abarth testing at the 'ring, pretty much in final form (minimal disguises): http://images.paultan.org/images/Fiat_500_Abarth.jpg

Confirmed 150hp and an infinite amount of customizations possible, from interior to body add-ons, alloys, graphics, etc. Here (Fiat 500) there is a configurator for the basic car ... the options for the Abarth will apparently be even more!

Having seen the basic car (it's a really stilish yet practical remake of the original) I think it will be the "IT" small car for the next few years, with the Abarth replacing CooperS and the like as the small-and-fashionable "sport" city car.

Wall

VoteConservative! 02 August 2007 04:04 PM

The fiat badge makes me apprehensive of this vehicle. I really like this car and the punto but im scared of reliability and build quality. I would like to buy one for my GF.

The Trooper 1815 02 August 2007 05:30 PM

Buy the new Ford KA. Same car less likely to fall apart after 6 months.

Dracoro 02 August 2007 05:41 PM

I've NEVER *wanted* a small city car, none appeal to me that way. Some are good sure, some I like or respect no problem.

However, I actually WANT this car. Won't but it though as it doesn't fit my requirements, however if I win the lottery and have that fleet of cars, it will be there on the list for a laugh :D

Ticks all the small car requirements
Small
light
bit of go
great stying inside AND out
cheap.

Hey, when they come to test it, no doubt they'll hate it and it'll break lots but who cares :D

J4CKO 03 August 2007 10:16 PM

We had an original, it was poo !

Missus wants one of these though, I would consider one if it was a quick one.

skoobidude 16 August 2007 04:54 PM

I was in Sorrento, Italy a few weeks back and there were a few being paraded around. One night in particular saw lots of the original versions. The size difference is similar to that of old Mini compared with the new.

Nick

Mike123 17 August 2007 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by skoobidude (Post 7187292)
I was in Sorrento, Italy a few weeks back and there were a few being paraded around. One night in particular saw lots of the original versions. The size difference is similar to that of old Mini compared with the new.

Nick

They look a bit like a Nissan Micra in the flesh

what would scooby do 17 August 2007 09:42 AM

Abarth are doing a 200BHP race version for a one make championship. Anyone fancy converting one to road use ? :D