ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   So whats the best BOV? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/624456-so-whats-the-best-bov.html)

Cocker 29 July 2007 04:43 PM

So whats the best BOV?

Thinking about getting one (53 STI). I know they are probaly the ahem*chaviest*ahem mod for the impreza but i like them and so does the Mrs (she says it reminders her of her sisters ex boyfriends old Cossie!)

So if i was to spend my hard earned on one, whats peoples recommendations?

Cheers

SC008Y_MAD 29 July 2007 04:51 PM

Lots of members on here say the best one for your stock Impreza turbo is the OEM one. iirc, if you fit a atmospheric one it can lead to other problems unless you have a high power one.

But I could be wrong?

Cocker 29 July 2007 04:52 PM

Didnt think there was any problems with new ages?

SC008Y_MAD 29 July 2007 04:56 PM

perhaps you are right?? do a search myfriend as this topic has been covered before.

johnnyroper 29 July 2007 05:06 PM

i was under the impression vent to atmos dv's are bad for a scooby
best thing to do is keep standard recirc dv and remove the air intake resanator box in the wing.
that way you will get the whooshing noise of a dv but dont vent metered air to atmosphere confusing the maf

Phildodd06 29 July 2007 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyroper (Post 7147346)
i was under the impression vent to atmos dv's are bad for a scooby
best thing to do is keep standard recirc dv and remove the air intake resanator box in the wing.
that way you will get the whooshing noise of a dv but dont vent metered air to atmosphere confusing the maf

How do you do that?

scoobystiv8 29 July 2007 09:38 PM

I have just fitted the turbosmart dualport dump valve to MY03 STi
This overcomes the problems normally found with vtas as it vents to atmosphere and recircs. No fuel problems, and its quiet until you start to open it up.
Spot on.:thumb:

BigBez 29 July 2007 09:41 PM

i bought a bailey dv26 from someone off here sounds ace though im not saying its the best one out there! as its my first it ill do :thumb:

most people on here say recirc oem is best but i really dont think it matters if its standard car, would probly benefit more from a remap with a VTA and higher horsepower......ive had no probs touch wood

some people had fueling and idleing probs ( on classic anyway, with dump valves, but make sure its a TWIN PISTON one and its fine

for a different sound I wouldnt mind a HKS SSQV it makes more of a high pitch whistle / chirp which i like but its too bloody dear!!

johnnyroper 29 July 2007 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Phildodd06 (Post 7147935)
How do you do that?

remove o/s/f wheel and wheel arch liner,there is a 10mm nut to remove and then just pull it out

Elmer Fudpucker 29 July 2007 10:19 PM

Almost everyday on here the same question is askedhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...45/Suicide.gif

As I see it,all turbocharged cars equipped with Mass Air Flow sensors,like the Impreza cannot and will not perform to the optimum if the ecu is being fooled by duff input readings given from a vta dumb valve.

If these things were so bluddy marvellous I would have thought one of the responsible vendors on here would have posted by now extolling their virtues and how one possibly could not live without one...or not?:)

Now if you're fitting one purely for the noise and don't mind the adverse effects it will cause then fine:D

Blow-off Valves

BOV advice - Newbies & FAQs - NASIOC

funny smell after BOV install - Newbies & FAQs - NASIOC

MrRA 29 July 2007 11:54 PM

Standard one is best, or you could change to a Forge recirv d/v as I have been led to believe these perform slightly faster than the OEM, helping under boost levels.

By fitting a VTA d/v you will cause the ECU to provide fuel for air that has been metered by the MAF but is then no longer present thanks to being vented to atmosphere. ECU is unaware of this and still provides fuel. But with there being no air present or in insufficient amounts fuel will be left unburned in your cylinders, slip past your piston rings and into your sump. Something which is known as 'bore wash'.

shanea 30 July 2007 12:21 AM

Go Fast Bits 2006

I have a GFB Stealth FX and I love it

Norman Dog 30 July 2007 07:15 AM

Dual Stage BOV - WorxTuning Components

I imported this one from the States, it's a similar design to the GFB Stealth hybrid recirc/VTA, car does not run rich at all, no stalling problems and gives a great woooosh sound when giving it the beans :D

Phildodd06 30 July 2007 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyroper (Post 7148110)
remove o/s/f wheel and wheel arch liner,there is a 10mm nut to remove and then just pull it out

And by doing this, it will give me a VTA sound? well kind of anyways?

scoobystiv8 30 July 2007 09:54 AM

Removing the resonator will give you a small increase in sound, but if you read the post above or my other post about the turbosmart dual port, then you can have a vent to atmosphere dump valve without the problems as it recircs aswell. Hence no fuelling or stalling problems.
It is still worth doing the resonator though.

[Davey] 30 July 2007 10:03 AM

I'm running a Nomad Racing VTA (its CHAVtastically loud!), I dont particularly like it but I've not been able to find a OEM one on ebay yet.. The only problem I get is some overfueling on gear changes if I'm giving it some..

trails 30 July 2007 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by [Davey] (Post 7148734)
I'm running a Nomad Racing VTA (its CHAVtastically loud!), I dont particularly like it but I've not been able to find a OEM one on ebay yet.. The only problem I get is some overfueling on gear changes if I'm giving it some..

PM me, I have one for sale :D

Panthro 30 July 2007 12:02 PM

You wont have a problem if you are fitting one along with getting the ECU remapped I believe.

WRX Blues 30 July 2007 12:08 PM

GFB WRX Hybrid fitted to mine with no probs by Scoobyclinic - I think it is supposed to re-circulate and VTA - who cares as I love the sound anyway - mind you I'll be the first to admit that I never have had any taste:freak3:

EddScott 30 July 2007 12:18 PM

I had a HKS SSQV until I chose to go back to recirc.

Sounds great but car drove much better with the recirc fitted.

rallying1 30 July 2007 12:21 PM

You could also get a half empty bottle of pop and get your girfriend to shake it and undo the lid every time you change gear, you get all the noise and none of the hastle and its cheap:thumb:

Cocker 30 July 2007 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by rallying1 (Post 7149005)
You could also get a half empty bottle of pop and get your girfriend to shake it and undo the lid every time you change gear, you get all the noise and none of the hastle and its cheap:thumb:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rob2006 30 July 2007 12:46 PM

I had a bailey dump valve on my 03 STI....

It screwed the in gear pick up of the car so it was rapidly removed and sold.

Rob

karl h 30 July 2007 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by rallying1 (Post 7149005)

:thumb: :D

martyrobertsdj 30 July 2007 10:20 PM

Or just get one of THESE

I've been contempleting a dump valve, but don't want a really loud noise and certainly don't want any engine problems. I fitted a Forge recirc valve to my classic when I had that, and on fairly light throttle applications/closings, you could hear a "fluttering" kind of noise which was quite nice.

I like the idea of a valve that can recirc most of the time, but then vent when either a) you want it to, or b) when you are "giving it some".

Nowt better than a nice backfire when you change gear in my opinion!!!! Think of Ten Of The Best yesterday.....that feckin blue Skyline!!!! First to second gear.......what a fantastic noise!!!! ;)

MrRA 31 July 2007 12:03 AM

Lets face it, VTA's really are only necessary if you're trying to impress school kids.

TopBanana 31 July 2007 12:25 AM

Cocker, my best advice to you is to take some time out and take a long hard look at your life.

finalzero 31 July 2007 03:17 AM

You could always consider one of these:

Deceptor Pro | Dump Valves & Accessories | Demon Tweeks Motorsport, Motorcycle, Modifying, Parts and Accessories

If your after a really loud one, then you might want to hunt out one of the port dump valves, I can't remember the model in question but I do know it produced around 130db+ and sounded like a someone had fired a gun! (was fitted to my mates Skyline R33 GTR... boost pressure matters if I remember correctly).

About the only Dump Valve I have seen that I would consider as you can control the actions from inside the car i.e. recirculate or vent to atmosphere.

Personally I am staying away from them for now due to hearing about fueling issues etc. But you can't beat the sound, its great on certain cars but I don't think Scoobie engines work too well with the the loud atmos dump valves.

Adios,

Fz

trails 31 July 2007 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by TopBanana (Post 7150881)
Cocker, my best advice to you is to take some time out and take a long hard look at your life.

:lol::D