ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Finally watched Titanic last night (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/623121-finally-watched-titanic-last-night.html)

Drunken Bungle Whore 23 July 2007 04:52 PM

Finally watched Titanic last night

And that's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back! :rolleyes:

It was a wet rainy Sunday afternoon, so I figured "why not?" I've heard all the hype and it won loads of awards so I thought I'd give it a go.

Firstly I thought it was rather disrespectful to all the people who died in the tragedy to reduce to a rather trite little love story. Leo di wotsit was all wrong as the lead. And WTF did she throw the necklace in the sea for at the end? Stupid cow! How's that going to help anything! :brickwall Oh - and the CGI was really rather dodgy in places.....

Please tell me I'm not alone in my disbelief that this film didn't go straight to video?

*Cino* 23 July 2007 04:54 PM

The bit I found annoying was how she left him freezing to death in the sea while she cosy-ed up on the door!! I love you darling but c'mon you can't expect me to get in 'there'! :mad:

PeteBrant 23 July 2007 04:54 PM

It's utter arse.

But also one of the holy trinity of birds films.

Titanic - Dirty Dancing - Pretty Woman.

Every woman in the world owns one, if not more, of the three.

OllyK 23 July 2007 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle Whore (Post 7131128)

It was a wet rainy Sunday afternoon, so I figured "why not?" I've heard all the hype and it won loads of awards so I thought I'd give it a go.

Firstly I thought it was rather disrespectful to all the people who died in the tragedy to reduce to a rather trite little love story. Leo di wotsit was all wrong as the lead. And WTF did she throw the necklace in the sea for at the end? Stupid cow! How's that going to help anything! :brickwall Oh - and the CGI was really rather dodgy in places.....

Please tell me I'm not alone in my disbelief that this film didn't go straight to video?

The original B&W version was much better. The LdC version stank worse than a pile of festering horse dung.

PeteBrant 23 July 2007 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by cino
The bit I found annoying was how she left him freezing to death in the sea while she cosy-ed up on the door!! I love you darling but c'mon you can't expect me to get in 'there'!

I bet old Jackie boy was regretting that he had hooked up with such a fat biffa when she took up the entire area of life saving driftwood with her fat arse.

Nat 23 July 2007 04:57 PM

Watched it too for the first time since it came out at cinema (i actually won tickets to the premiere when it came out!) and also thought that the FX and CGI were terrible by todays standards :lol1:

Drunken Bungle Whore 23 July 2007 04:58 PM

I have to admit to owning Pretty Woman - but only a very old copy on video. And I have to say it's a cut above Titanic for a few reasons.

1. No one dies
2. Richard Gere is waaaaay better than Leo
3. There is no Celine Dion to be found anywhere in the film

My particular Holy Trinity would probably have to be Men in Black, Die Hard and The Dish.

MJW 23 July 2007 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7131135)
It's utter arse.

But also one of the holy trinity of birds films.

Titanic - Dirty Dancing - Pretty Woman.

Every woman in the world owns one, if not more, of the three.

You forgot 'Bridget Jones' !

Luminous 23 July 2007 05:55 PM

And I stumble across this thread of discontent just as I am listening to Celine Dion singing "My Heart Will Go On"....I kid you not!

I liked it, and the music. I shall now leave you to grumble among yourselves :D

bootsy 23 July 2007 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle Whore (Post 7131128)

my god you must of been bored :D

Bug Eyed Peas 23 July 2007 06:08 PM

I always thought Celine Dion was singing "The Hotdogs Go On".
Sounds like it to me anyhow.
You`ll see what I mean if you can bear her wailing for a minute or two :brickwall

Brun 23 July 2007 06:10 PM

Well i loved it :p
I do however Love Kate Winslet :D

David Lock 23 July 2007 06:28 PM

Brought back memories of one of my favourite Titanic jokes.......

The ship was sinking fast and an old British gent, sailing on his own, had finished dressing for the evening before going up on deck. As he walked slowly to the stairs he passed his favourite bar and looked in. Empty but for the old retainer, George, on duty behind the bar as always.

"Good evening, Sir" said George "Your usual?"

"How kind" said the gent and sat at his table.

George came over with a silver tray but with two, not one, glasses of claret for the gent.

"That's so kind of you George" said the gent "but why two glasses?"

"Ah well Sir" said George

"Don't forget it's Happy Hour" :)

Bug Eyed Peas 23 July 2007 06:33 PM

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...nslet-gl12.jpg

Mmmmm :norty:

FlightMan 23 July 2007 06:33 PM

Any film where Kate gets her funbags out is OK in my book! :norty:

http://tastefulcelebs.com/wp-content...nity_Fair2.jpg

NotoriousREV 23 July 2007 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 7131345)
Brought back memories of one of my favourite Titanic jokes.......

The ship was sinking fast and an old British gent, sailing on his own, had finished dressing for the evening before going up on deck. As he walked slowly to the stairs he passed his favourite bar and looked in. Empty but for the old retainer, George, on duty behind the bar as always.

"Good evening, Sir" said George "Your usual?"

"How kind" said the gent and sat at his table.

George came over with a silver tray but with two, not one, glasses of claret for the gent.

"That's so kind of you George" said the gent "but why two glasses?"

"Ah well Sir" said George

"Don't forget it's Happy Hour" :)

I'd hate to hear your least favourite :p

David Lock 23 July 2007 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV (Post 7131359)
I'd hate to hear your least favourite :p

No boat for you then pal :D :D

PeteBrant 23 July 2007 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by MJW (Post 7131266)
You forgot 'Bridget Jones' !

I was going to add that, but then I realised the holy trinity would have turned into a holy quartet, which is clearly wrong.

NotoriousREV 23 July 2007 07:55 PM

And of course there's Bridget Jones 2...

skoobidude 23 July 2007 07:56 PM

Typical hero American male steals the nice English rose of the "nasty" Englishman! :mad:

+Doc+ 23 July 2007 08:08 PM

I must be emo cause i love that film :D

J4CKO 23 July 2007 08:54 PM

I quite like Bridget Jones, the first one, she looked good with the weight on but in the second got carried away and looked a bit like Timothy Spall.

RoShamBo 24 July 2007 09:57 AM

Remember the CGI is over 10 years old - by cgi standards thats a lifetime !

Compare that to the recent Poseidon movie, esp the first couple of mins where the hero is jogging around the decks of the ship - that shows you what a difference 10 years makes !
At the time, Titanic was state of the art cgi (One of the major reasons it went sooo far over budget & time)

I like the movie, but really only because major tragedies like this interest me from a histroical point of view.

STi wanna Subaru 24 July 2007 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by RoShamBo (Post 7133072)
Remember the CGI is over 10 years old - by cgi standards thats a lifetime !

Compare that to the recent Poseidon movie, esp the first couple of mins where the hero is jogging around the decks of the ship - that shows you what a difference 10 years makes !
At the time, Titanic was state of the art cgi (One of the major reasons it went sooo far over budget & time)

I like the movie, but really only because major tragedies like this interest me from a histroical point of view.

I watched T2 the other night and the CGI in that has stood the test of time. Still looks superb.

haroldhettaturbo 24 July 2007 10:07 AM

Would rather eat cabbage soup than watch that pile of tripe again.

InvisibleMan 24 July 2007 10:11 AM

i actually thought the cgi was crap at the time.

Thought 'tie-tanic', the starwars version was better :D

KiwiGTI 24 July 2007 10:14 AM

I must say that Leo has redeemed himself by appearing in some excellent movies such as The Departed, Blood Diamond, The Aviator and Catch Me If You Can.

PeteBrant 24 July 2007 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 7133110)
I must say that Leo has redeemed himself by appearing in some excellent movies such as The Departed, Blood Diamond, The Aviator and Catch Me If You Can.

Agreed, to be fair it's only Titanic where he deserves hitting in the face with a mallet. Most of films are aces.

ScoobyJawa 24 July 2007 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 7133086)
I watched T2 the other night and the CGI in that has stood the test of time. Still looks superb.

Yup - 1991 that was made - astonishing effects for the time and it still looks great today....

Tobisausage 24 July 2007 10:28 AM

YouTube - Titanic 2

Titanic 2 looks great