ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Thinking of buying a Forester STI (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/623075-thinking-of-buying-a-forester-sti.html)

Krg WRX 23 July 2007 02:30 PM

Thinking of buying a Forester STI

Hello All

Not been on here since last year when I changed my WRX for a BMW but I am now think about buying myself a Forester STI, all the reports I have read say what a great car it is. Going to have a look at one later in the week, has anyone on here had a drive in one?

obi 23 July 2007 03:12 PM

Try here, several STi owners

Europe - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

ricardo 23 July 2007 03:28 PM

As above, plenty of discussion in the European forum.

It is quite raw compared to a BMW, lots of fun, and very practical.

MPC-GTR 23 July 2007 03:36 PM

I used to have one, the Litchfield ex-demo one in fact which is still present on the web site under the "as seen on TV" bit with VBH driving it on 5th gear. Generally a very good car, but I would recommend going for something a bit more discrete than mine! Drive and handling very good. Rear space and even boot space not as good as you might imagine.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...GTR/fozzy6.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...GTR/fozzy5.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...GTR/fozzy4.jpg

The Trooper 1815 23 July 2007 05:13 PM

I nearly did the Forester thing but went for a more subtle number.
View My Scoob:norty:

cookstar 23 July 2007 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon (Post 7131187)
I nearly did the Forester thing but went for a more subtle number.
View My Scoob:norty:

now that is nice :thumb:

aggs 23 July 2007 05:48 PM

What MPG do you get out of a STI Forrester?

What s it like on a motorway cruise??
RPM in 6th at 90mph for example.

Fancy one for the Mrs.:)

ricardo 23 July 2007 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by aggs (Post 7131259)
What MPG do you get out of a STI Forrester?

What s it like on a motorway cruise??
RPM in 6th at 90mph for example.

Fancy one for the Mrs.:)

mpg varies, obviously, but on longer trips about 30 mpg is achievable. Shorter trips or more right foot and typically about 24 mpg.

3000 rpm at about 85 in 6th.

Max speeds in gears:
  1. 038
  2. 062
  3. 091
  4. 122
  5. 155
  6. 195 (about 155 in practice)

Plenty of pull in 6th so relaxing while still making 'good progress'. What does the Mrs. drive at the moment ?

aggs 23 July 2007 09:46 PM

Just like the Impreza then, thought the lack of aerodynamics would give the car under 20 mpg most of the time.:D

Mikkel 23 July 2007 09:53 PM

Why one of these over an Impreza? It's like ugly got uglier IMO and if the amount of space is not that signficant... then why? (genuine question)

ricardo 24 July 2007 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mikkel (Post 7132155)
Why one of these over an Impreza? It's like ugly got uglier IMO and if the amount of space is not that signficant... then why? (genuine question)

Can you throw two bikes in the back of an Impreza STi ? Furniture ?
It is also relatively immune from chavs in Corsas trying to race, no big wing for scallies to try and tear off, and not the same as all the other cars in the car park...:D

Mikkel 24 July 2007 09:08 PM

Hmmm not a very strong argument for going for the fat friend IMO

Col Stone 24 July 2007 09:48 PM

The STi Forester has a unique-ness that gives it it's apeal. It can be as fast as an Impreza catches lots of un suspecing people out but still has the practicality for mountain biking, camping ect :
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...5/DSC03562.jpg

This was this weekend with my family, try getting this in as well as 3 tables fridge, tv, satellite, beds ect, ect in an Impreza STI :D
Cheers Col

Alan MaC 24 July 2007 10:33 PM

Think about it, you can go anywhere.....

No more Corsas/Saxos up your dung funnel.

No one trying to break into your house to nickyour keys.

Being able to tow a Trailer ( a frigging big one!)

Get up wet slippery/ snowy hills if you want.

Do better than a lot better than Mr Average in these Floods ( if you live in Worcs/Glos)

Be welcome in rural areas (Subaru was always known as the "Farmers Friend")

Classless but not ignored at Gatherings.

People let you out from junctions cos Your NOT Driving a BMW X5

Wee Wee off Porsche Caynines on the Motorway (cos your quicker than them)

Go Surfboarding/Ski Boarding in them & get to the "Start Line" on both of these pursuits in your machine

Marvel how your "Other Half" can fit in the Garage whilst your Foz nestles fondly next to you on the pillow.

How it has 2 clutches and holds you on big hills even if your carrying a huge trailer behind.

Ask why LR have Outbacks &/Foz's on their outdoor track to help pull out the Discos.

Oh and by the way,. they can motor a bit as well,

That's why I drive a ????????;) ;) ;)

Regards

Alan Mac

Mikkel 25 July 2007 10:24 AM

So it's like... Dad's Impreza... I get it.

I bought the Impreza as have a baby on the way and my 2 seater was no longer allowed, but perhaps given a few more and a thirst for caravaning holidays I may make the move :)

The rookie 25 July 2007 02:21 PM

With Alan...but the absolute best bit is not having Chavs trying to race you or nick your car all the time (something my mate suffered from in his 1.6 Impreza! - thats both race and nicking) and the extra surprise factor when you do decide to give it some is a hoot! (better still when Mr top down in convertable 350Z was trying to show off to his blonde Girlfriend!

Simon

The Trooper 1815 25 July 2007 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mikkel (Post 7136040)
So it's like... Dad's Impreza... I get it.

I bought the Impreza as have a baby on the way and my 2 seater was no longer allowed, but perhaps given a few more and a thirst for caravaning holidays I may make the move :)

No I have the Dad's version (actually Granddads);)

< Lookey

stevie1982 25 July 2007 04:05 PM

i have often thought about the forester sti can anyone tell me how they handle compared to the impreza due to them being slightly more top heavy etc

steve

ricardo 25 July 2007 05:07 PM

I went from a UK Impreza with Prodrive springs to the Forester STi. At first it feels odd, since you are sitting higher, but there isn't much roll and the stock suspension is quite hard. Then I went to another FSTi with AST's, and that's another dimension again.

There isn't any feeling of top-heaviness, most of the weight is in the drivetrain and that's low down, and the overall weight difference is minor.

aggs 25 July 2007 06:16 PM

What are the earlier 2L STI s like?
This would be within my current price range.
Are these revvy and frantic?
Have 6 speed box?

monkeysan 25 July 2007 07:19 PM

i love the stealth of the Forester - people see you pull alongside and think you have nowt, then you plant it and the brick themselves

ricardo 25 July 2007 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by aggs (Post 7137362)
What are the earlier 2L STI s like?
This would be within my current price range.
Are these revvy and frantic?
Have 6 speed box?

As mentioned earlier you'll find plenty of answers over on Subaru Forester Owners Forum - Powered by vBulletin (and can ask plenty of questions).

Earlier 2L ones are pretty much like earlier Imprezas in terms of bits, but the 6-speed is only on the 2.5L STi models.

The rookie 26 July 2007 12:33 PM

The early 2.0 Sti's (late 90's) are just tarted up STb's and mechanically the same.

Simon