ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Would You? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/622465-would-you.html)

pslewis 20 July 2007 06:29 PM

Would You?

Collect Mussells in the wild and cook and eat them??

Asking as I will tomorrow be within thousands of them just waiting for me to cook them in White Wine .............................

North Cornwall, by the way - wave to me if you see me :thumb:

Mk2_heaven 20 July 2007 06:30 PM

As long as your not next to a sewage outlet, i dont really see a problem.

Although they sit there all day and filter feed.

Go for it :thumb:

pslewis 20 July 2007 06:36 PM

You just want me to get really ill - don't you?? ;)

I would sit them in cold water for a while - let them filter that.

I am tempted as there are 1,000's of them ---- yum, yum.

***Nemesis*** 20 July 2007 06:39 PM

No. I am severely allergic to them.

Trout 20 July 2007 07:17 PM

I would not let that statistics that mussels are the one of the single most virulent sources of food poisoning put you off.

I would also not be put off by the fact that although mussels are a lucrative crop that the mussel beds you are near are not being harvested, that is merely oversight.

And of course you know the adage - only the eat the ones that open really easily before they are cooked ;)

Good luck - it has been nice knowing you :)

PS If you are still unsure then you can get GUTLINK - it is a small device that can be used to analyse vomit and if you are seriously ill a little red light comes on :)

pslewis 20 July 2007 07:32 PM

I thought I would find a load of girlies on here who wouldn't :lol1:

They haven't been harvested because you need a licence to harvest on a commercial scale - and I doubt you would get one there.

I bet you don't even pick 'n' eat brambles ..... even though every dog in the area has peeeeed up them?? :D

kingofturds 20 July 2007 09:01 PM

We used to cook em on the beach:thumb: give them a tap and if they do not close steer well clear. I will keep an eye out for a green wagon with crapped out brakes around boscastle tommorrow :D

pslewis 20 July 2007 09:08 PM

It's a Blue wagon and you can't miss me ;)

Luminous 20 July 2007 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 7125230)
We used to cook em on the beach:thumb: give them a tap and if they do not close steer well clear. I will keep an eye out for a green wagon with crapped out brakes around boscastle tommorrow :D

the Christmas tree sized cocklink should also be a giveaway. :notworthy There is also an outside chance that you will see morris dancers around the car dancing while his oil is being changed :lol1:

Trout 20 July 2007 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7124961)
I thought I would find a load of girlies on here who wouldn't :lol1:

They haven't been harvested because you need a licence to harvest on a commercial scale - and I doubt you would get one there.

I bet you don't even pick 'n' eat brambles ..... even though every dog in the area has peeeeed up them?? :D

I have you know that we harvest about 20kgs of brambles every Autumn and the only dog that might have peed on them is my lab.

We also do around 10kgs of sloes and 100kgs of apples.

Wanna buy some to go with your shellfish?

:D

alcazar 21 July 2007 09:58 AM

I've pulled mussels out of the Med and eaten them but cooked in RED wine:D

Alcazar

TopBanana 21 July 2007 10:01 AM

A lot of people won't eat wild shellfish because they tend to concentrate any toxins around.

dpb 21 July 2007 10:42 AM

..and taste like rubber if you (quite easily) cook em wrong

Paul3446 21 July 2007 10:49 AM

I went to an underwater disco last night..........and pulled a muscle.

spireite 21 July 2007 10:58 AM

love em in black bean sauce:)

David Lock 21 July 2007 11:07 AM

I used to get them from Leadenhall market (is that still going?) and keep them in the office sink with a dripping tap and a handful of oatmeal to flush through their guts. Still alive to tell the tale. Best with garlic bread to soak up the white wine and herb juices. Used to stink the office out though :D

Leslie 21 July 2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7124796)

Asking as I will tomorrow be within thousands of them just waiting for me to cook them in White Wine .............................

We have tons of mussels near where I live, but no one would think of eating them since they are the worst of all for absorbing toxins such as sewerage etc.

I think that when they collect them for eating that the mussels are placed in a flow of clean water for a finite length of time and also subjected to ultra violet light to cleanse them.

I think you would be most unwise to eat the ones you see on the rocks PSL.

Do I have to watch out for an old surfer on a Zimmer frame so I can wave to you-or safer than that-hide somewhere! :)

Les

Ray_li 21 July 2007 11:36 AM

I would but I wouldn't go cockle picking ;)

shaunywrx 21 July 2007 12:06 PM

Anyone know where he's staying, i'll have to keep an eye out for the old duffer.

J4CKO 21 July 2007 12:15 PM

If you are indeed as advanced in years as you claim, the diseases you can get from dodgy seafood could be very serious, personally I would rate eating fresh dog poo along similar lines as eating stuff I find on a British Beach.

David Lock 21 July 2007 02:09 PM

Are you young and thin Pete? If not.........

"Human susceptibility to paralytic shellfish toxins varies with weight, age and health of the individual. Mild cases of PSP have been reported in adults who have consumed 340 ug of the toxin, and ingestion of 1000 ug of the toxin has resulted in death. Due to the difficulty of determining toxin levels ingested by sick persons and the variability among individuals, these dosage levels should be considered rough estimates."

kingofturds 21 July 2007 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7124796)

Got back from boscastle but did not see any imprezas. did your cocklink warn you of impending doom and mission aborted?:D

Fuzz 21 July 2007 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 7125230)

I doubt Boscastle will be there tomorrow. :freak3:

Andy :D